Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 03:05   #1

Leave my boat in NZ

Hello all,

We will sail to NZ from New Caledonia mid december to visit inland. We are looking for a safe place (piles, river ?...) to leave the boat during 40 days.
Somewhere between Opua and Auckland.

our boat is a 50' cat

Do you have any advice or suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,

Matthieu
mfleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 03:31   #2

Re: Leave my boat in NZ

Whangarei?
Galumay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 04:19   #3
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Yep, call Whangarei marina. They have both docks and piles and are up a long river and very safe
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 19:49   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There is a river in Bay of Islands, the Kerikeri, where friends used to have their boat moored. Their boat was a monohull, and I don't know at all if the Kerikeri would tolerate your beam! The Waitangi R. also flows into Bay of Islands. There might be a mooring for you at Opua, but it is the beam that is the problem, and the fact that cats lie differently to winds than monos.

Good luck with your search, Mattieu, and welcome aboard CF.

You also could query Whangaparoa (wh sounds "f" in Maori) Marina. They had a few big boat slips.

Ann
Old 21-09-2022, 20:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galumay View Post
Whangarei?
+1

We kept our 50’ cat in Whangarei for parts of two summers, albeit mostly on the hard. During a normal year a December arrival may be a little tough, in-the-water spots can get booked for the season. No idea what this year will look like.

For us, Whangarei is the perfect mix of big enough to have nearly all marine services, while still being a relatively small town.

While overall the protection is quite excellent, do give some consideration for what your location would look like in a flood, when the river gets going it can carry a lot of debris.

For a marina you might also try Marsden Cove Marina at the mouth of the harbor. It is very inconvenient to town/supplies, but we always got a 1-2 day berth with no notice and when we were there the was a fair amount of empty space.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat