Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2008, 01:26   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Kangaroo Island Overnighter

Hello sailor(s),

We are looking to do an overnighter to Kangaroo Island from Cape Jervis in our Austral 20. Is anyone able to recommend an anchorage that would suit us? We will have three people on board (two adults and one lively 7 year old who swims very well!). We've looked at maps and google earth and American River looks good, but we could be missing something...

Also, an opinion on travel time between Cape Jervis and whichever destination you feel is best would help.

In case it is important, the Austral has a retractable keel and draws about 30cm with the keel up, and it is the later model which is self righting with the keel down and the lock pin installed. Not quite a blue water boat, but a pretty serious dinghy all the same.

Thank you,

Matthew and Sally.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 03:10   #2

American River is a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hello sailor(s),

We are looking to do an overnighter to Kangaroo Island from Cape Jervis in our Austral 20. Is anyone able to recommend an anchorage that would suit us? We will have three people on board (two adults and one lively 7 year old who swims very well!). We've looked at maps and google earth and American River looks good, but we could be missing something...

Also, an opinion on travel time between Cape Jervis and whichever destination you feel is best would help.

In case it is important, the Austral has a retractable keel and draws about 30cm with the keel up, and it is the later model which is self righting with the keel down and the lock pin installed. Not quite a blue water boat, but a pretty serious dinghy all the same.

Thank you,

Matthew and Sally.
Remember a fair tide runs at up to three knots (from memory) through back stairs passage so pick your departure time and weather carefully. American river is nicely protected with a few shops etc. A picturesque spot with a well marked channel in. I suspect you could put the whole kit and caboodle on the ferry and launch on arrival at kangaroo island,if you are short on time and good weather.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:41   #3

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
GILow
American River is a great overnight spot.Get a good weather forcast you dont want wind against tide in backstairs passage.Don't forget ihe fishing rod KI king george whiting grow bigger than 2kg .With your plate up you can get a fair way up river
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 03:55   #4

Thanks both, I had not thought of tides at all... oops.

Are you able to clarify the tide issue for me. I'll do a little looking around to see what people say, but is it just mid tide I have to worry about or is it worse a high or low tide?

BTW, Catty, one of the reasons I am thinking of sailing over is that I was horrified at the cost of the ferry. I don't like to think of myself as stingy, but yikes! That added a fair bit to the cost of a holiday! Minimum return price looked like $400 THEN I noticed that the boat and trailer are actually over 7m long, so make that more like $600 return. Too much!
Old 27-10-2008, 17:29   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
forget the ferry half the fun is getting there.Just be mindful that a lot of water runs out of the gulf through backstairs passage.Have you thought about towing the boat to Tumby bay and sailing out to Sir Joseph banks group,it's only 12kms out and better than Queensland.By far the best trailer sailor spot in S.A is Coffin Bay obout 40km by road from Pt Lincln.
Maybe I'm bias S.A. has some fantastic cruising spots all accessable with your boat
Go enjoy yourself Steve
Old 27-10-2008, 18:04   #6

Steve,

Yes, good point about the ferry, and for me, about two thirds of the fun is getting there. (The other third is getting the mast up and down without wrecking the boat, the marriage, or the child.)

Thanks for the destination advice, I'd never even heard of the Sir Joseph banks group, but I am new to SA.

Wow, they DO look nice! Yep, I've put that lot firmly on the to do list, and soon. We've been meaning to get over to Coffin bay since we arrived, we'd heard it was good, so one more vote for that destination.

I'm getting into the library this arvo to pick up a book about sailing destinations near Adelaide, and hopefully it will answer some of my concerns about the current in the Backstairs Passage. Being an old sea kayaker, I am always concerned by currents, I can't believe I didn't think of it and it had to be pointed out to me. I wonder if the book will have the JB Group on it too?

Do you have a prefered anchorage at the islands? I found a good guide at the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron that recommend anchorages based on winds etc, great idea, but no aesthetic judgements.

Happy sailing,

Matthew
Old 28-10-2008, 00:49   #7

Mathew
Spilsby Island has a great anchorages you can usually get out of the weather it's a bit further to sail from Tumby.Western side of Reavsby is good in any weather as it has 3 other islands around it.Theres a beach toward the southern end still on west side that is fantastic. On eastern side of island northern end is a good spot also but would'nt anchor for the night.If you need supplies see the people at Tumby Bay hotel.The hospitality they showed us last trip was just amazing.If you go for a walk around Reavsby watch for snakes.7 year olds love to poke things with sticks Dont drop a line into the white holes around the islands or you'll be cleaning whiting for hours and thats no fun mmm.Get up to date charts of the area and you'll have no problems everything is in sight of land
cheers Steve