Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 14:15   #31

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Hurricane Holes in South Pacific

G'day, Mate. FYI, Fiji is getting a late season depression hiting Vuda Point as this is typed. It will wonder down towards New Zealand later in the week.

And yes, Mexdon, is is know as Army Bay out here in the Bay of Islands. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 21:20   #32
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Hi B.

By Western (yachty) Standards standards we could be both dirt poor. You turn up in some South sea atoll you are the rich white guy!

From the reading I have done some of the Northern (equitorial) Islands are less than friendly and some down right ban yachts. Other areas are considered less than safe at the moment. Nadu point Marina in Fiji is can block the entrance channel is a great Western type marina and advertises itself as a safe haven. Having said that it is not a good thing to be out after dark in the local villages and towns!

So since the joy of a forum is finding otherwise unpublished words of wisdom, I was hoping that someone could say" I spent last Cyclone season at such a place, could moor the TiTanic, people where great and friendly, great produce , good cheap beer".
You're doing too much reading or reading the wrong stuff.
Being out after dark in the towns and villages is as safe as anywhere else in the world if you conduct yourself in the appropriate way. Make friends with the locals, treat them with respect and make an effort to understand their culture and you will have a great experience.
Vuda (note spelling) is indeed a very safe place to hole your boat up, has excellent marine support facilities at a very reasonable price and is safe. We did 3 cyclone seasons there, all in the water no problem.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:51   #33

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

High Pete,

Appreciate that information. This is straight from lonely planet. Dangers & annoyances

Fiji is still a pretty safe place for travellers. When you're in Nadi or Suva, though, do not walk around at night, even in a group, as muggings are common. Locals catch cabs after dark in these cities and you should do the same. Don't hitchhike; while it's commonly done by locals, as a foreigner, you're a sitting duck for muggers. As a precaution, use a moneybelt and keep your valuables in a safe place.
While it's unlikely that you'll be robbed, it does happen, so try to keep all valuables out of sight and lock your door while you're out or sleeping. Most resorts have a safe where you can store your moneybelt. You can also avoid becoming utterly destitute by stashing a small amount of cash or a couple of travellers cheques in a separate place to where the bulk is stored.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/fiji/pra...#ixzz1qfuW12HQ

Lots more on the same vain. I have lived in war zones and some rough spots. Got spoiled in rural Thailand. Like to relax and not have to worry about staying alive. So you obviously don;t have reservations about Nadi and area. The Marina looks great!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:20   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

North Pacific,

Lonely Planets are talking about the big smoke, not villages. Different scene entirely. There are LOTS of places in the US where I won't go in the daytime, nevermind at night, but in most places I am comfortable. The same goes for all the S Pacific island nations that we have sailed to. Haven't heard of any muggings at Vuda Point or environs.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-03-2012, 00:56   #35
cruiser

I was once attacked by a hangover in Vuda but that was the only problem.
Most cruisers I know are tucked up in bed asleep when the night crowd are prowling.
Old 31-03-2012, 06:04   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...)So since the joy of a forum is finding otherwise unpublished words of wisdom, I was hoping that someone could say" I spent last Cyclone season at such a place, could moor the TiTanic, people where great and friendly, great produce , good cheap beer".
The good cheap bear part might be the real hurdle: I remember Hinano, but it was no cheap, elsewhere - bushbeer, but it was no good!

Seriously now, IMHO there is quite a wide safe belt out there - after all a TD is not a TS and a TS is not a fully blown hurricane - when they become really dangerous is towards the curve - where they gain strength and accelerate.

When you overlay the bad wx zone over the Pacific chart you will find that quite a good number of islands fall into the safe belt.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:22   #37

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Sad to hear that I will struggle to find good cheap beer:-) Encouraging to hear that their are indeed options.

Since I have European Union Status, the Marquesas then would be an option for the Cyclone season?

On another note Pete your boat is made in NZ?
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:36   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) Since I have European Union Status, the Marquesas then would be an option for the Cyclone season? (...)
I asked them back in 2004 and their response was we could stay as long as we wished - an EU flagged ship, 'continental' FP (Tahiti). Browse the web for their cyclones history.

On the lighter vane, FP would indeed solve the beer issue: they are the Hinano country!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:47   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Sad to hear that I will struggle to find good cheap beer:-) Encouraging to hear that their are indeed options.

Since I have European Union Status, the Marquesas then would be an option for the Cyclone season?

On another note Pete your boat is made in NZ?
Yes, made in NZ but for sale in Vanuatu. Were supposed to fly to Fiji yesterday to look at another but major flooding there so flights cancelled.

Tags
hurricane, south pacific