Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 17:02   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Haul out/bottom paint in Australia?

Hello,

Another question: Sometime in April/May we would like to get new bottom paint.

Any suggestions for a yard somewhere north of Sydney that will do great work at great prices? Or pretty good work at pretty good prices?

Thanks again!
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40   #2

Re: Haul out/bottom paint in Australia?

Most likely the best value haulout near Sydney would be somewhere in Lake Macquarie. You might try inquiring at Marmong cove marina.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 14:24   #3

Boat: Horstmann antares 46 Trimaran extended to 51'
Smile Re: Haul out/bottom paint in Australia?

I just spent a week at Maryborough Slipways scraping and painting.....
nice town, nice people aaaand nice prices.
mattofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 00:31   #4

Boat: Sparkman & Stephens Deb 33 - Design 1873 MkII deep keel - 1974 UK/Dutch built version Tartan 34C

Best value close to Sydney in my books is Careel Bay Marina, located just in Pittwater. They have haul-out and do all the work at cheaper than any in Sydney Harbour rates. They're also closer to Sydney, not as far away as Lake Macquarie - which can be a pain to navigate in/out.

Have a chat with the Manager, Bluey - he'll look after you: Careel Bay Marina

He's a boat owner and cares about all the work done. They also have all other trades available for any repairs.
BoomBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 00:32   #5

Long way from Sydney though. But I may slip there this year.
Old 18-01-2013, 01:34   #6

Boat: Sparkman & Stephens Deb 33 - Design 1873 MkII deep keel - 1974 UK/Dutch built version Tartan 34C

I rang about 10 haul-out facilities early last year in both Sydney Harbour and Pittwater - for both self-work and them to complete. Careel was the best value and cheapest for the professionals to complete the work. Of course if you want to use a haul-out, scrape and paint yourself - you can save more dollars. Careel Bay will only do the work themselves, though I trust their expertise far more than mine!

I keep my boat moored there. The guys working there really are top people, I can't recommend them enough.
Old 18-01-2013, 02:22   #7

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Long way from Sydney though. But I may slip there this year.
If you want something closer be sure to bring the buck$.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 06:58   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBrake View Post
Best value close to Sydney in my books is Careel Bay Marina, located just in Pittwater. They have haul-out and do all the work at cheaper than any in Sydney Harbour rates. They're also closer to Sydney, not as far away as Lake Macquarie - which can be a pain to navigate in/out.

Have a chat with the Manager, Bluey - he'll look after you: Careel Bay Marina

He's a boat owner and cares about all the work done. They also have all other trades available for any repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBrake View Post
I rang about 10 haul-out facilities early last year in both Sydney Harbour and Pittwater - for both self-work and them to complete. Careel was the best value and cheapest for the professionals to complete the work. Of course if you want to use a haul-out, scrape and paint yourself - you can save more dollars. Careel Bay will only do the work themselves, though I trust their expertise far more than mine!

I keep my boat moored there. The guys working there really are top people, I can't recommend them enough.
Hmmm... Boom Brake joined the forum just in time to make his only two posts, both of them in this thread, both of them raving about a particular boatyard, both of them essentially advertisements. Hmmm, I wonder...

Naw! He couldn't be affiliated with the yard in any way, could he? Nobody would come here posing as a very, VERY satisfied customer of their own business, would they?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 08:05   #9

Hmm, no an incorrect assumption.. but I guess not such an unreasonable one, considering you're observing all the way from San Fran... I guess the era of innocence and trust is long gone!

I'm just full fee paying customer, who had some satisfactory work done. I didn't mention that they also cleaned out and repaired a nasty blocked head pump system, leaving it absolutely clean and immaculate. (Of course for a few hundred $). Nevertheless that made me a very happy chappy too...
Old 18-01-2013, 12:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
If you want something closer be sure to bring the buck$.
Refer to the OP.

edit: it does just say "somewhere north of Sydney", and Maryborough certainly is that.
Old 18-01-2013, 13:41   #11

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Check out Mackay Marina, Just south of the Whitsundays. It is reasonable as judged by the Whitsundays vessels getting work done here.

Also Mackay Boatyard in a creek off Pioneer river Mackay. ph 49532283

Get a copy of the Coastal Passage either at any Marina or google & download online. Ads for both there.

Both are considered value.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 20:53   #12

Thanks everyone. I did get quotes from a few places including Scarborough which was the cheapest for berths but more expensive for bottom painting. It seems that Careel Bay Marina is the best choice. Besides having a good price they answered all my emails immediately. I just reserved a mooring and received a confirmation with the mooring number and GPS coordinates.
Thanks again for the help.
Jim
Old 22-01-2013, 21:51   #13

Thanks BoomBrake for your comments. Maybe I'll see you there. We should arrive sometime after the wind turns northerly.

Jim
Old 22-01-2013, 22:23   #14

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

You might check out Goncalves (sp?) boatshed at Palm Beach (entrance to Pittwater) - it had a good reputation for value.
I usually use Machan's at Booker Bay (entrance to Brisbane Water, North side of Broken Bay) as they let me do my own work. There is also Booker Bay Marina next door to them.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:33   #15

That's great Jim, I hope you enjoy your stay. Do make sure you go get a coffee at the office/kiosk when you go there. Shell makes the best coffee around!

I'm over in Berlin Germany so may not able to meet up, though I'm planning a visit in late Feb/March. Feel free to PM me when you're getting closer.

If you're up for a little walk and enjoy pizza, be sure to head over to Granzgots pizza place at the local Avalon shops, bring a bottle of red and have a great evening! (You can take a short-cut if the sun is still up, left from Careel Bay Marina on George St, left down William St the the very end, along the bush walking track over the Mangroves, straight across Hitchcock Park/Football field and then left along Barrenjoey Rd. This makes it an enjoyable 1km stroll.)

PS I just looked at your web site and Shiptrak, that is quite an amazing boat and spectacular trip you're on! My lovely boat has done almost the same trip (though not with me, the previous Dutch owners). I'm jealous!

Cheers,
Marty

Tags
Australia, bottom paint, paint