Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 15:29   #1

Great Keppel Island

Would like to hear from anyone who has been into the tidal lagoon on the north side of Great Keppel. Is it a good idea with strong winds forecast? Alternatively, is Svensons Beach tolerable in a strong SE? Would like to avoid running for the marina.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 15:45   #2

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Great Keppel Island

Well, I draw 6'8" so I never went into the lagoon, except in the dinghy. However, I think there would be enough water at High Tide to get in and there were a few holes deep enough. It would be great to hide there in a strong breeze. I have seen multi's go in and out easily enough.

Svendsons has always been good holding but you can get a swell rolling around the headland. In a SE' breeze, Leekes may do just as well as Svendsons. A couple of times I have moved from Svendsons to the resort as I was sick of the roll coming in. It was about ~20kn SE, and the anchorage was flat, no roll. So if you are expecting a lot stronger breeze - you may just put up with the roll.

Another alternative I planned to do but didn't get there was on the NW beach off Pumpkin Is.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 17:17   #3

Thanks Rusky, we draw 1.1 and would check it out with a dingy first I think. Don't want to land on rocks or get stuck in there for weeks without enough water to get out.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 20:32   #4

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Re: Great Keppel Island

Teeto, I've spent a couple of comfortable nights at the northen beach in about 20+kts SE trade (very roughly 23 09.554S, 150 57.32E). Seemed less rolly than the more Southen beach. There is always behind Curtis Island if you can lay it? Cheers Andrew G
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote