Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2006, 20:44   #1

Boat: Columbia 43--Wa'a Nui
Got Aloha?

Anyone going to Hawai'i this fall? Tell me about your preparations, plans and expectations. I'll be out there too. Interested in your thoughts about this active storm season in the Pacific.

Aloha,

Mike
Old 21-08-2006, 21:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I'm not sailing here, just live in Kona. Sailing here is not a big deal. The storms that make the North Pacific so much fun pass well to the north. The occasional hurricane almost always pass well to the south or dissipate before they get here. Keep an eye on WWV or other weather forcasting tools and you shouldn't have any problems. The sailing may even be less boisterous over the winter months.

Once you get here, it's another story. The State owns almost all the marinas and has either never improved them or lnot maintained them and let them fall into a terrible state of disrepair. If the docks haven't fallen apart so they have room for a transient, you can stay a month at each State marina. That would get you through the winter as anchoring out just isn't safe unless you are going to stay aboard and be prepared to run to sea when the world famous winter swells come in. There are very few winter anchorages and most are roadsteds that are rolly in the calmest conditions. On the Big Island, you can hang out in Hilo Harbor (a commercial harbor with little charm), Kawaihae (an unfinished harbor that you anchor in with poor holding and long bouts of very strong winds), Honokohau Harbor in Kona (a semi improved harbor with at least a bow tie dock, water, and power when it works) and Kailua Bay (an open roadsted that has to be vacated in big swell conditions.

Maui has Maaleia (a very windy bow tie harbor that is poorly maintained), Lahaina Roads which suffer the same problem as Kailua Bay though it may be a little less rolly and Kahalui Harbor (a commercial harbor on the windward side.

Lanai has two harbors, one is a commercial harbor that I've never been too and doesn't look like it has anything except barges and Manele Bay marina, a decent harbor though don't know if there is any room there. Molokai has Kaunakakai (a commercial harbor that I haven't been too in ages, loved it when I did go there).

Oahu has a number of State Harbors. The Ala Wai in Waikiki is almost totally wasted with nealy half the slips condemned. The Ala Wai is so bad there was talk of cancelling the TransPac cause their weren't enough non-condemned slips to host the fleet. Finally got so bad, the governor fired the head of the harbors division and they are going to rebuild/repair at least enough slips for the TP. The Hawaii Yacht club used to give anyone a two week stay and guest priveleges at their club in the Ala Wai. Don't know if that's still the case. Keehi Lagoon has both a state harbor and a year around anchorage. It's right next to the airport so very noisy and a cement plant makes sure you have a reason to wash off your boat regularly. I'm not sure what's going on with the Waianae Harbor or Haleiwa State Harbors. Maybe someone over there could give you information. Kaneohe bay on the windward side has some private facilities but is shallow so really deep draft may be a problem. There is also a private harbor at Kapolei on the leeward side. Supposed to be very nice, all the amenities and well maintained but pricey.

You'll have to ask someone on Kauai what the situation is there. Nawiliwli Bay has a marina and may allow some anchorages. Port Allen also has a marina though mostly smaller boats. Hanalei Bay is closed out in the winter but a good summer anchorage.

Getting here is the easy part, what to do with your boat while you are here is another story.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 08:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
Getting here is the easy part, what to do with your boat while you are here is another story.

Aloha
Peter O.
Peter,

Mahalo for your info. I recall the poor docking/mooring situation in Hawai'i.
I've lived on my boat(s) in Maui and Lana'i and it is frustrating or nervewracking at the very least. Especially if the boat is unattended.

My plan is to go to the Ala Wai and see if there are any transient slips available, if that doesn't work out than I will go to Keehi Lagoon. Are there any current restrictions to anchoring there? This of course is my safety net/back up plan. I may even consider going over to the new marina in Kapolei.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Mike
Old 29-08-2006, 12:03   #4
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
Endless Summer's HI Cruising Guide

I spend 8 months sailing around Hawaii and wrote up the following details:

http://www.summ.org/articles/hi-cruise/index.htm

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 00:30   #5

the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by smm
I spend 8 months sailing around Hawaii and wrote up the following details:

http://www.summ.org/articles/hi-cruise/index.htm

-Scott
Mahalo for your info. Although I've spent many years in Hawai'i it was infromative to hear of your experiences....it has been 3 years since I've been back home. Following the headlines, I am disappointed in the DLNR's maintenance and intent. I do recall all too clearly the frustration of finding good anchorages in Hawai'i. Such a shame for such a magical place. Hawai'i's weather will certainly test a sailor, however, I remember after my first solo passage on my Mariner 31, I was thrilled with the opportunity to sail her full sail bye and bye, land close by. I babied her on the way over and when I got there I had some of the most exhilirating sailing of my life, Cabo Falso excluded.

I imagine it would be in my best interests to make haste and join a yacht club here in Cali so I might benefit from reciprocity at the HYC. No?

Anchoring/mooring in Keehi Lagoon is my intent. I certainly would prefer a transient slip for a week or two, however it seems unlikely that will be a possibility. Perhaps a reciprocal with a YC might be the best bet. Otherwise I'm anchoring/mooring in Keehi as I originally intended. Truly this is a jump above anchoring and mooring in Mala Wharf as I have done for many years. As you said, most achorages are sand over coral/rock and the holding is neglible. I once anchored in Mala and for 2 days I was fine. The third spun my anchor to a hard spot and offshore was where I found my boat....this after only a few hours ashore!

Mahalo for you information and reply. Best Wishes,

Mike
Old 30-08-2006, 10:50   #6
smm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da BigBamboo
I imagine it would be in my best interests to make haste and join a yacht club here in Cali so I might benefit from reciprocity at the HYC. No?
We stayed there for a month and no one asked about any YC membership. Very friendly place. We considered becoming members, but it sounded like they were stricter with members using the aloha dock than with guests... Go figure.

There seemed to be some space in the little commercial harbor just west of Ala Moana. Might be worth getting to know whoever runs the place. Perhaps you can get a spot while you do some "repairs."

-Scott
Old 18-11-2006, 20:18   #7

Ive read where they are increasing the slip fees to help improve the public marinas

Ive been looking to buy some property on the Big Island and then keep
a large Catamaran over there to sail on. Where would be a good place to
keep it at a fair price?
How is the sailing to the other islands and are there plenty of places to
find safe harbor and have a good time.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 20:43   #8

Thanks all!

Great information re: the marinas and ports, Thanks for the informaiton!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 20:56   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha all,
Videorov, I think if you read RoverHi's post above he pretty much summed it all up. I live on the Hilo side of the Big Island and the mooring rate in Reeds Bay is a dollar a foot a month. The holding is terrible and two boats go aground a year on the average. In the commercial harbor Rado Bay there is better holding and the anchoring is better. There is a quaywall to tie to but I think it is $8.50 a day to stay there.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 22:01   #10

Hello SkiprJohn

Are you using mooring buoys? My local sailing club get a few people together and pay for a buoy they make from cement and sink it for them
to use. They are in bay near the club where its free.
Seems like you could get a few people together to cover the cost
and do the same and it will hold.

Just wondering?
The marinas here in Florida are going out of site and many of them are now selling silps only not renting.
$1 per ft is real cheap thats for sure. How many boats can the area hold?
Do you get alot of rain on that side of the Big Island? Is it pretty calm on the east side or the west? Ive read some fishing articles that say Kona
has calm days for fishing sometimes. Ive seen pictures where it was calm.

Were are good places to sail to that have lagoon areas that are protected
on some of the other islands?
Just wondering what places are there to explore while sailing the area if I
had a Cataman there. Im thinking a 34 to 42 ft size Cat.
Thanks for your info.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 10:52   #11

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Scott, that is just an excellent job you did. Thanks not only for offering the link but for doing such a nice summary for the rest of us.

Peter, I am unfamiliar with most of Hawaii but one place I have visited by water and land is the Kaneohe Bay area. I was surprised by your comment ("Kaneohe bay on the windward side has some private facilities but is shallow so really deep draft may be a problem") as deep, full keels seem easily accommodated behind the reef structure and adjacent to the KBYC docks and I've also seen large sailboats anchored at the south end of that same side of the basin, near Kaneohe.

I'm hoping you might say a bit more about this area as it seems a good stop. All of Kaneohe Bay seems well protected by swell by virtue of its reef structure all along its open side (which faces NE, not NW towards the swell). I've often thought that one good stop if sailing to HI would be to anchor near the KBYC and/or seek dock privileges if they had the room. There's a bus stop right outside the YC which takes you to the Kaneohe Mall or, in the other direction, a big Safeway. Alternatively, you could safely ride a bike. One of the bus routes at the stop takes one across the island to Honolulu, as well. Am I just seeing this place through rose colored glasses...or is it possibly as pleasant as it is inviting?

BTW the last time we were in HI, the new Republican governor was elected, promising a more enlightened, active role in managing the govt. Perhaps things are getting better, if slowly?

Jack
Old 25-11-2006, 12:31   #12

Aloha Scott,

I found your site very informative and accurate. I agree with Jack that Kaneohe Bay and the Yacht Club are very inviting. They have reciprocal agreements with many Yacht Clubs. The Bay has anchoring in many places and it is fairly sheltered from all but the worst storms. Good holding for anchoring. Really a fun place to sail and enjoy Hawaii. The view is breathtaking.

Hilo has an average of 120" rain a year. There is no dry season/wet season because you can have wet no matter what time of year you are here. Usually January through April is the best for dryer conditions but not always.

Governor Lingle has done a great job with the state but has done nothing for the harbors and the boating community. She has promised to but can't get the Democratic Party that is in control of house and senate to spend any money on harbors. It is really a shame to see the dillapidated conditions of infrastructure in all the harbors which have such a natural beauty.

Kind Regards,

JohnL
Old 25-11-2006, 22:29   #13

Aloha Video,
Yes, we've tried all kinds of moorings. Still doesn't help those who are not checking their rigs from time to time. Seizing wire wears or breaks, shackles come undone, chain rusts away. Moorings drag (even the very heavy).
By the way, concrete loses half its weight when placed in water and even those folks with 1000 lbs of concrete mooring here have dragged it from time to time. I prefer D-9 Caterpillar tracks for mooring but they are hard to come by.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 26-11-2006, 00:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This summer, Kaneohe Yacht Club (Oahu) made us feel very welcome. We were part of the Pacific Cup race, and the KYC members freed up some slips, and made room at the bulkhead for tie-ups. The channels inside the bay weave among the coral heads, and require that you pay close attention and have updated charts (they have moved some of the buoys recently).

A few years age we stopped at the Ala-Wai near Honolulu, and had to tie up three deep at the Hawaii Yacht Clup dock. Since then, even more slips in the marina have been condemmed, so I can't imagine that it is any easier to find a space now.

That trip we also stopped in Maui, and found good anchoring at the Mala Wharf area (near Lahaina), were able to use a Lahaina Yacht Club mooring, and actually were able to find a space for a few days in the Lahaina Yacht Harbor.

On Lanai we stern-tied / bow anchored at Manele Bay. The few slips were full, and pretty small, and we were lucky to find a space at all. Lanai is a lovely island, though.

On Kauai, we anchored in Hanele Bay and had a great time there. This was in August -- in the winter I understand that the waves are a problem there.

-Paul
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 09:11   #15
smm

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov
Were are good places to sail to that have lagoon areas that are protected on some of the other islands? Just wondering what places are there to explore while sailing the area if I had a Cataman there. Im thinking a 34 to 42 ft size Cat.
Aside from Pearl Harbor, there are no protected lagoons or anchorages in Hawaii. None. And Pearl Harbor is taken. Furthermore, unless you've had a perfect set and snorkled the anchor just to make sure, you should assume that the holding is poor. Coral sand or rubble over rock is pretty typical. Holding in Reed's Bay is
notoriously bad, even by Hawaiian standards. While there was a cat on a mooring there ("Mango Tango," I think), I wouldn't consider keeping mine there as a cat's windage puts a huge strain on the mooring.

I think your best bet for sailing and living in Hawaii would be to get a trailerable boat, such as one of the Farrier trimarans. An F27 or F31 is certainly adequate to sail between the islands and the shoal draft might allow you access to some intersting places. There are many boat launch ramps around the state as most of the locals use trailerable boats.

-Scott