Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 12:18   #1
cruiser

Gorge Harbour Restrictions

Plans are in the works to turn most of the western end of Gorge Harbour on Cortes Island BC into a huge oyster farm, eliminating one of the most popular anchorages on Cortes, and making access to the marina there far more difficult. It is in the public input stage at the moment.
To try slow the conversion of this public anchorage, and others like it, into industrial use only, email your comments to Kenneth.Albrecht@gov.bc.ca , or phone him at 250-751-7220 , or fax him at 250-751-7224, or email Shannnon.vollema@tc.gc.ca ,the federal navigable waterways person.
Thanks, the more phone calls they get ,the better.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 05:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Where can these "Plans" be reviewed, prior to commenting?

Excerpted from "Cortes Island Coastal Plan for Shellfish Aquaculture - Gorge Harbour"

At ➥ Cortes Island Shellfish - Features

Area residents and some members of the advisory committee do not want any expansion or new development to interfere with safe anchorages which they indicate exist throughout the Harbour.

Excerpted from the Management Plan:

* New tenures should avoid interference with navigation.

* New tenures should not impede access to safe anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CortesIsl-tenure-map.gif
Views:	181
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	13367  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 13:20   #3
cruiser

There's no shortage of water too deep to anchor in,and thus ideal for oyster leases ,off Cortes, even in Gorge harbour. There is no reason for them to be in an anchorage.
Old 21-02-2010, 08:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where is the "Plan" that suggest they will be in an anchorage?

Old 22-02-2010, 13:25   #5
cruiser

The people who run the Marina there and have spent a lot on it, as well as cruising locals from Cortes say the plans they see put the oyster lease occcupying the entire western end of the Gorge. Their letter, asking for support from boaters, is in the latest edition of 48 north.
Old 23-02-2010, 05:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can’t expect people to object to a plan; without their knowing exactly what the plan is.

Old 23-02-2010, 22:16   #7

Haven't seen a plan per se

But the local shellfish producers group has a long description of what their members have asked Fisheries for since 2003. It's pretty much as described by Mr Swain.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 23:15   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc hull#832
If I remember correctly when anchoring in Gorge Harbor during August and September, I have always had to search out a spot west of Ring Island due to crowding on the east of the operations near Bee Island. If the area becomes unavailable I will just avoid the Gorge. Don't remember it being that exciting anyway. Sorry if I am out of line on this thread, I am a newby. Glad to see info about the Northwest though.
"Huckleberry Friend" Gemini 105Mc #832
cwithboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 04:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
But the local shellfish producers group has a long description of what their members have asked Fisheries for since 2003. ...
As I previously

Excerpted from the Management Plan:

* New tenures should avoid interference with navigation.

* New tenures should not impede access to safe anchorage.

Old 27-02-2010, 12:22   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithboat View Post
If I remember correctly when anchoring in Gorge Harbor during August and September, I have always had to search out a spot west of Ring Island due to crowding on the east of the operations near Bee Island. If the area becomes unavailable I will just avoid the Gorge. Don't remember it being that exciting anyway. Sorry if I am out of line on this thread, I am a newby. Glad to see info about the Northwest though.
If we use the same logic anytime they want to industrialise an anchorage and kick the boaters out , eventually we will run out of available anchorages. This is the thin edge of the wedge, and a trial baloon. Only a strong reaction this time willl deter furter errosion of our anchorages, and freedom to cruise..
Old 27-02-2010, 13:25   #11

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Opposed to Gorge Harbour Restrictions

Brent,
We disagreed on several issues related to the Nanaimo Harbour situation (and I don't intend to re-start that issue), but I fully agree here. I wrote an e-mail on Nov. 30/09 to both the people you gave addresses for earlier. I suspect it more or less fell on deaf ears, as the reply was "wishy washy" at best.
Especially during stormy weather, as I experienced up in Desolation in the summer of 08 when winds exceeded 30 knots for 2 days in a row, that is one of the best protected, easily accessible anchorages in the area. It is protected from most wind directions and is very protected from the increased sea states associated with bad weather. To give this up to shell fish farming would be unacceptable. I also agree with your comments regarding the marina. The owners are great people and have invested heavily in improving the marina and a large increase in shell farming WILL negatively impact their operation. There must be other locations where these farms can be established where they won't have the same impacts.
The only way we can have a voice is to actually take the time to voice it!!

Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:59   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc hull#832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
If we use the same logic anytime they want to industrialise an anchorage and kick the boaters out , eventually we will run out of available anchorages. This is the thin edge of the wedge, and a trial baloon. Only a strong reaction this time willl deter furter errosion of our anchorages, and freedom to cruise..
If other react as I do, then the decision will be economically based and up to the residents of Cortes Island. As those people live and work there 365 days a year and I stop for 2 days at most, they have a say.
P.S. Have you tried a spell checker?
"Huckleberry Friend" Gemini 105Mc #832
cwithboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 14:34   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithboat View Post
If other react as I do, then the decision will be economically based and up to the residents of Cortes Island. As those people live and work there 365 days a year and I stop for 2 days at most, they have a say.
P.S. Have you tried a spell checker?
Sometimes these library computers run out of time before I get a chance to spell check. I also use only Canadian spellings, not USanian ones.