Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 13:14   #1

Fueling Panama Canal to San Diego

Planning my first trip from Panama Canal to San Diego--would appreciate tips on where and where not to refuel (Diesel)

Thank You
PYV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 13:29   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fueling Panama Canal to San Diego

It's not really an issue. Panama City Balboa is probably the worst place. Huatulco, you had to jug it. Some places had fuel nozzles for sport fishing boats. Enjoy
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 12:09   #3

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYV58 View Post
Planning my first trip from Panama Canal to San Diego--would appreciate tips on where and where not to refuel (Diesel)

Thank You
Would suggest you download the 2 cruising e-guides by Eric on Sarana. They are cheap and cover the a good portion of the area you will be transiting.

Cruising Guide Books For Central America | Always Up-to-date

There are numerous places to obtain fuel along the way but the dock pumps are somewhat limited.

Safe travels

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 21-06-2019, 19:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Would suggest you download the 2 cruising e-guides by Eric on Sarana. They are cheap and cover the a good portion of the area you will be transiting.

Cruising Guide Books For Central America | Always Up-to-date

There are numerous places to obtain fuel along the way but the dock pumps are somewhat limited.

Safe travels

Chuck
Jacaranda

Thank You--I will get them
PYV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 16:15   #5

Boat: Allied 39

A couple more guides that you might find helpful

https://www.bluelatitudepress.com/bl_pacmex.html

https://www.mexicoboating.com/books/

Cheers

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 22-06-2019, 16:39   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

+1 on the Satan's guides.
One thing to consider is that most countries won't let you fuel without clearing in. Clearing in and out can add days to your stop
Old 22-06-2019, 17:11   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

What? I don't think they ever check for your zarpe before pumping fuel.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 17:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Proper sequence. You are required to check in to a country before transacting in a country, e.g., refueling or reprovisioning.
Obviously, the fuel vendors are not the customs and immigration authorities.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 18:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYV58 View Post

Thank You
I think I understand your question, but suggest that perhaps you need to provide more information before anyone can actually answer it.

What is your propulsion's fuel burn rate?
How big is your fuel tank?
Have you shipped additional fuel supplies?
Have you considered "normal" wind conditions and adjusted your abilities to sail, or not to be able to, in your planning (given the time of year and prevailing wind projections)?
What is your normal range?
What is your "reserve" in your fuel/range calculations?

Essentially, how far can YOU go WITHOUT refueling?

I sailed (motored) from SF to BC in 2016.

I planned ahead, knowing my fuel consumption and where fueling stops were available. I found one that was supposed to be there but was essentially closed without being trucked in. Surprise! My planning said plan ahead that one, not that particular one mind you, may be inaccessible due to weather or other reasons. "Whaddya do, Boyo?!?" I asked myself. Ahead of time.

We did make it.

If you're asking where you can refuel, that's one thing. One would think that the question would be more like: "Where can I be ASSURED of (secure) fuel at...[name your country here...]?

Your question is nowhere near that.

To be able to help you, you need to help us.

Here's an example: Often we are asked about "How do I get from Cabo San Lucas to San Diego? I hear it's terrible."

Responses range from Stay There, truck the boat, sail to Hawaii, go to Alaska and come south later, learn Japanese...

Holy cow!!!

I respond with: "Cruising World magazine published an article called The Baja Dash many years ago which explained how to get north from Cabo to San Diego by harbor hopping. The file is too big to post here, send me a pm and I'll get it to you."

And I do. And would be pleased to do so for you, or anyone else contemplating a trip north. Send me a pm.

And that's only PART of the trip. Actually a very small part from your starting point.

Somehow, this reminds me of the recurring [idiotic] questions like: "How long will it take to sail my...from A to B?" Saw one of these just earlier today...

The real question was: "Where can I stop between A and B to make it a good trip?

Isn't this BASIC stuff?

Stuff wasn't the first word that came to mind...

Or today's "How much to ship a 42" coast to coast?" Inch? Really?

Specificity has its advantages. [I'm an engineer, please forgive me...]

I'm sure that if you got this far in YOUR travels you could answer those questions for us to help you.

Please do.

For example, if you truly have LONG RANGE, the answers will be entirely different. 200 nm is vastly different than a gas/diesel guzzler or an LRC. See the difference?

I admire you for getting to the point of actually DOING this journey. I truly do. My trip from SF to BC was done for family purposes and a permanent move, and the move was essentially unplanned and long term "look ahead" planning was not in the cards for me.

But I did my homework and research in the short time I had available to me, and asked the same questions of myself that I asked of you at the top. I knew how far I could go (range) and worked from that, deciding the distance between fuel availability and my boat's range. I'd spent the 18 years we'd owned this boat and kept careful records of that. I haven't bothered with my inoperable fuel gauge (hahaha!!!) and work off engine hours and fuel refills to know my hours per gallon, boat speed and, therefore, range. I keep a "reserve" in mind, too.

And there were parts of the voyage that required anchoring because there simply were NOT harbors on certain stretches.

Sure, it's useful to ask on a forum, but without knowing what you should know about YOUR vessel, and share those FACTS with us to help you doesn't, uhm, help us at all.

Safe journey.

Also, in your case, are there countries that you do NOT want to even consider going to even if you "need" fuel?

Baja Dash coming to you anytime you ask.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 20:24   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Try Costa Rica. The fuel dock refused us before checking in.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, fuel, Panama, Panama Canal, san diego