Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 18:23   #1
cruiser

Florida and San Diego come to Nanaimo

The Nanaimo harbours board is planning to limit the amount of time we can anchor in Nanaimo to two weeks a year and possibly ban boats that don't have insurance, giving the private insurance industry the power to dictate who may or may not use our public waterways, subject to paying them ransom, etc. This violates the mobility rights in the Canadian constitution under section six. This is the thin edge of the wedge to destroy a way of life for everyone but the rich.
All freedom loving Canadians should be outraged , boat owners or non boat owners.
The Nananaimo Harbours board is asking for input . Lets give them lots. Meanwhile ,boaters who object should give Nananaimo a miss this summer.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 16:03   #2
cruiser

The Nanaimo port Authority's phone number is 250-753-4146. Their fax number is 250-753-4899. Phone calls are cheap, and if you use a prepaid calling card they have no idea where you are calling from.
Brent
Old 10-01-2009, 16:21   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Do they have a web site Brent? We have friends who moor in Nanaimo. I'd like to refer them to the public notice etc.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 16:26   #4

Naniamo

For what its worth, we have long given up on Naniamo, which was one of our favorite stops. We really have no sympathy for those who abuse the privilage of sharing the harbor with others. We support the harbor and it is about time that they limit stays and require insurance. It is really the only way to insure that all can share the harbor. The harbor is full of derelict boats that have been anchored in the harbor for years. Many on the verge of sinking. The harbor patrol is quick to tell you if your boat swings outside of the marker bouys, yet anything goes within them. Our last time in the harbor one of the derelicts anchor sliped and went through the other boats like a bowling ball. Vancouver Harbor got smart several years ago and got rid of these junkers...unfortunately they are now in Namiamo.

TS
beneteau3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 14:24   #5
cruiser

I suspect that richer people than you, in bigger and more expensive boats than yours ,will be interested in knowing that you approve of your boat being towed away while you are ashore ,to make room for theirs. Likewise rich homeowners will appreciate your belief that they have the moral right to bulldoze your home and force you into the ranks of the homeless to build a bigger , more luxurious home on the site, if they wish.. Abandoned derelicts have no place in an anchorage.No cruiser has any interest in keeping them there. When it is the only home someone can afford , it is a totally different story.
When you anchor, I don't believe you will move to make way for a more expensive boat that wants your spot, accepting your proposal that having more money gives him priority over you, and more anchoring rights than you. . I believe that you would claim first come first serve, when it suits you, then claiming the opposite belief when that suits you.
You remind me of the guy who lobbied to have anchored boats kicked out of Deep Cove and succedded. Then they came to kick him out with his boat ,which was anchored there the whole time ,and he said " I didn't mean me, I meant those other guys. "
This new policy in Nnanaimo was brought in to deal with one abuser of anchoring rights ,who is long gone. It is no longer needed. There were few anchored boats before marina fees went thru the roof, thanks to bureucrats and their personal empire building efforts , at the expense of boaters and our freedoms everywhere.
Brent
Old 01-04-2011, 14:28   #6

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1
Re: Florida and San Diego come to Nanaimo

I see the fellow with the Beneteau knows how to spell Beneteau but not how to spell Nanaimo. While I do agree with his point of heavy handed dealing with boats that sometimes swing inside the boundary line I disagree with the attitude that all boats need to carry insurance. If you choose to carry insurance for your vessel that is your choice. The harbour had some issues in the past with a small number of problem boats and problem people and those issues have been dealt with thank you very much. It is a fine line when we pass judgement on another vessel because they may not be worth as much as yours. No the harbour is not full of derilect boats. What it is half full of now though is mooring buoys inside the waters of the BC Parks lease thanks to somebodies ideals. Sure looks a lot uglier now because of them.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18   #7

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

I assume they are referring to liability insurance to protect others, not hull value insurance.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33   #8

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I assume they are referring to liability insurance to protect others, not hull value insurance.
John, I believe you are right in what you assume. If another vessel wishes to carry insurance coverage to protect themselves from damage caused by other vessels that is their business. To ask everyone else to finance their fears is not fair. If boaters are truly concerned of another boat dragging into them then don't anchor too close to those vessels.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 1 View Post
John, I believe you are right in what you assume. If another vessel wishes to carry insurance coverage to protect themselves from damage caused by other vessels that is their business. To ask everyone else to finance their fears is not fair. If boaters are truly concerned of another boat dragging into them then don't anchor too close to those vessels.
Liability insurance is carried to protect your finances when your boat damages another boat - not damage to your boat.
- - Unless the winds are only from one set direction - all the time - you could not anchor anywhere and in any direction within miles from a boat that might drag.
- - As to another post about a government bull-dozing down your house to make room for a condo/shopping mall/etc. - that is called "eminent domain" is is practiced in one form or another in most countries.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, san diego