Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 13:57   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Fiji and AIS tracking

Hi all, heading to Fiji from Tahiti next mth.

One of the requirements is " you submit AIS tracking upon arrival".....what does this mean?

My AIS dosent record my track, can anyone shed light in this for me?

Cheers Dale
Sukha.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 14:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fiji and AIS tracking

They want to see when and where you have been. I presume they might use your track to reduce your quarantine time by the time at sea you can verify.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 14:40   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dale, there are outfits like "shiptrack" that you can subscribe to, which do show graphically each of your positions, either for the past 30 days, or a longer period. We have a friend who belongs and uses her ham radio call sign for her name there. I'm not sure if it is only for hams or that is a coincidence. Her boat's name comes up, along with a little icon for it, whereas the track only shows as a series of red dots, one each day.

In the past, Fiji has accepted your deck log with positions as you've recorded them, and I would imagine they will accept those, still.

Also marinetraffic.com gets satellite AIS positions. There is probably a way to get them to e-mail you your positions (for a fee).

Ann
Old 09-07-2020, 14:47   #4

Thanks for the replies. I realize I can record tracks on both Open cpn , my raymarine and my inreach, also understand they are looking for proof of my where abouts, But they specifically ask for me to submit my AIS track? which of course I cant, that's not how AIS works, yes they can find me via ship tracking etc but it dosent record a track.

Maybe I'm just reading more into it than need be, and they dont fully understand the exact terminology, which is probably likely.

I'll keep tracks on my various gadgets and leave it at that,I do anyway.

Cheers.
Old 09-07-2020, 15:42   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dale, it is <shiptrak.org> that our friend uses. It will show 30 days of consecutive positions. I don't know how you sign up for it, but there may be a way to copy or fwd the map with the possies.

Yes, I think what you do will probably be adequate. And notify them you are coming before you get outside the reef in Tahiti.

Ann
Old 09-07-2020, 16:49   #6

Recommend that you reference guidance on the Noonsite for entry formalities to Fiji.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/fiji-b...now-confirmed/

https://www.noonsite.com/place/fiji/...curity-section

"The framework for accepting foreign pleasure yachts into Fiji has now been finalized and skippers can start with the application process. There is a strict protocol that must be adhered to.

Last Update - July 08, 2020

In brief, new entry requirements for Fiji for foreign pleasure yachts are as follows:

All applications will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis;
All vessels must engage with a Fiji-registered yachting agent at least 5 days prior to planned departure for Fiji.
The agent will submit the vessel’s application on their behalf for approval with the various agencies.
Once a written approval is given, all crew on board the vessel will have to confirm negative RT-PCR test prior to departure (<48hrs). A copy of this test report has to be submitted to the agent as part of the application.

All vessels will need to turn on their AIS to ensure tracking is possible to confirm uninterrupted sailing and no contact with other vessels.

A 14 day quarantine period applies, however, uninterrupted passage will be counted as quarantine time.
Port Denarau is the only port of entry at this time.

For arrival and clearance procedures, including required paperwork, see this document for details (Fiji_Yachts Blue Lane_Procedures). https://www.noonsite.com/wp-content/...Procedures.pdf

Vessels may require to have a COVID test done in Fiji upon completion of the quarantine period at their own expense.

Once cleared into Fiji after quarantine, vessels must receive clearance for any subsequent visit or disembarkation at any site or island in Fiji by obtaining their cruising permit and coastal clearances.

For contact tracing purposes all crew must download the careFIJI app.
[www.carefiji.digitalfiji.gov.fj]

The complete framework can be found here: https://mcusercontent.com/18ed174a6d...eid=2290b99b50
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 16:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Dale, it is <shiptrak.org> that our friend uses. It will show 30 days of consecutive positions. I don't know how you sign up for it, but there may be a way to copy or fwd the map with the possies.

Yes, I think what you do will probably be adequate. And notify them you are coming before you get outside the reef in Tahiti.

Ann
Thanks Ann.

Just phoned Fiji agent (which you must use).

It's a evolving process but he confirmed that a chartplotter track will be fine.

It's funny how officials dont understand the yacht thing. I was told if they dont let you in then you must head back to French polynesia....yer right 1,800nm east back to Fp, dont think so.

Follow the rules and alls ok. Lots of boats from NZ heading to Fiji now apparently, agents are busy.
Old 09-07-2020, 17:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thanks Ann.

Just phoned Fiji agent (which you must use).

It's a evolving process but he confirmed that a chartplotter track will be fine.

It's funny how officials dont understand the yacht thing. I was told if they dont let you in then you must head back to French polynesia....yer right 1,800nm east back to Fp, dont think so.

Follow the rules and alls ok. Lots of boats from NZ heading to Fiji now apparently, agents are busy.
Given that a set of entry formalities have just been established by Fiji and require application and approval before departure and negative Covid testing <48 hours before departure, how will the boats in transit be able to make entry to Fiji because it would seem they have jumped the gun and need to return to NZ to be compliant?

Being denied entry certainly could make for a long return trip and of course Covid remains very fluid and relockdowns are very likely and can happen without prior notice, or while underway, or even while enduring quarantine upon arrival. And there is no certainty that one will be allowed reentry from whence one came, if denied entry at the previous port of call. A yacht without a port to call home.

Look into Australia for example of return to lockdowns. And the interprovince travel restriction in Canada. Not a great time to be traveling anywhere.

Being a Yank, I won't even mention the diversity of the 50 States handling of this pandemic.

The only thing certain in the world of Covid is uncertainty.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:08   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Given that a set of entry formalities have just been established by Fiji and require application and approval before departure and negative Covid testing <48 hours before departure (snip)
Not to mention the unlikelihood of getting negative test results within 48 hours. We had a trip booked (in early March) for the first two weeks of August in Hawaii. Hawaii had closed to ALL inbound traffic, and when they started to open had a mandatory 14 day quarantine. Go directly from airport to hotel room, don't go anywhere on pain of arrest. They just recently (in the last week or so) announced that they will open to visitors August 1 without quarantine, IF you have a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival. So far, I haven't been able to find any way to guarantee we can get test results in the time allowed, so we're cancelling our trip. Actually, we need to reschedule, or kiss the $1,500 airfare goodbye.

With many, if not most, locales giving testing priority to symptomatic patients, first responders, etc, I imagine it wouldn't be easy to jump the even shorter testing hoop to go to Fiji.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Not to mention the unlikelihood of getting negative test results within 48 hours. We had a trip booked (in early March) for the first two weeks of August in Hawaii. Hawaii had closed to ALL inbound traffic, and when they started to open had a mandatory 14 day quarantine. Go directly from airport to hotel room, don't go anywhere on pain of arrest. They just recently (in the last week or so) announced that they will open to visitors August 1 without quarantine, IF you have a negative test taken within 72 hours of arrival. So far, I haven't been able to find any way to guarantee we can get test results in the time allowed, so we're cancelling our trip. Actually, we need to reschedule, or kiss the $1,500 airfare goodbye.

With many, if not most, locales giving testing priority to symptomatic patients, first responders, etc, I imagine it wouldn't be easy to jump the even shorter testing hoop to go to Fiji.
Countries for the most part have greatly increased the capacity to take the test, swabs have been sourced, but the laboratory ability to process them is not keeping up with the large volume of tests and a backlog is arising. It is difficult to achieve a less than 72 or 48 hour turnaround for results.

Recreational boating while being more allowed, generally remains considered a non-essential activity and rightly should be considered such, especially as to voyaging away from one's present port which could invoke localized community spread to the next port of call.

Of keen issue as to cruisers contemplating a long voyage is that the crew should be quarantined aboard the boat without contact to shore based persons for considerable period of time before departing so as to avail the presentation of Covid illness before leaving port and mitigating the potential of having adverse symptoms arise when far from medical facilities. It simply being foolish to arrive on a boat, especially with a mixing of crew that has not co-habitated together for say two weeks and depart on an extended journey. And tests that were taken before the crew self-isolated for an extended period of time [i.e., avoided infection or the onset of the disease] are of little to no value to the crew aboard the vessel, or the public health officials and immigration control agencies.

Don't forget to bring along a Lima signal flag, so as to be prepared to stand a requisite quarantine, in addition to the usual Quebec signal flag used for requesting free pratique to those few countries that may still avail free pratique protocols during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you have difficulty locating the L flag, one can use a permanent ink, black marker to color in a spare all yellow Q flag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lima flag.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	219090  
Old 10-07-2020, 14:17   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Given that a set of entry formalities have just been established by Fiji and require application and approval before departure and negative Covid testing <48 hours before departure, how will the boats in transit be able to make entry to Fiji because it would seem they have jumped the gun and need to return to NZ to be compliant?...
1. Some yachts have jumped the gun, and will be interesting to see what happens. Some planned to spend a few days hanging out at Minerva Reef to ensure that their sailing time between Opua and Denerau is 14 days. But we understand Tonga (Minerva is Tongan territory) now have a gun boat patrolling the area to make shoo boats along.

Returning to NZ wont be an option for non NZ citizens/residents. Customs notice: "New Zealand’s border is currently closed to almost all travellers to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Effectively, the New Zealand border is closed for all but essential travel. Only New Zealand citizens and residents, as well as some other specified travellers, are permitted to enter New Zealand without having to apply for an exception.

Visa waiver crew (including Australian citizens not resident in New Zealand) travelling on superyachts and pleasure craft are not exempt from the closure of New Zealand’s border, and current immigration instructions state they must be refused entry permission unless they meet one of the exceptions.

More information on current immigration policy, including the process to apply for an exception to the border closure can be found on Immigration New Zealand’s website."

And for those NZ citizens/residents arriving, unless they've spent 29 consecutive days at sea, they'll be required to spend 14 days in a Govt Isolation Facility. See Regulation Here.

2. Even NZ yachts have potential issues to face. At some point they'll need to return to NZ; the season in Fiji finishes mid October. If the NZ Govt still have the same regimen in place then all crew will need to spend 14 days in an Isolation Facility (unless they meet the 29 day sailing time rule). And it's clear the NZ tax payer is running out of patience with all these people returning to the country for free, so like Fiji, it's probable that by October that people crossing the border will need to pay $200+ per night per person.

Also Fiji is still third world and a very poor country. Get sick, break a leg, need a stent, your Mum dies, whatever the reason. If one needs to return to NZ there are no flights, to anywhere overseas. Nadi Airport is closed. So no plan B for evacuating oneself home to NZ.

Again I note the majority of the forum members are people from the USA. I appreciate that in the US that Covid isn't taken seriously. Whether right or wrong, I don't care or know. But the reality is that in the Pacific all the little tiny countries are taking Covid19 very very seriously.
Old 10-07-2020, 14:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
1. Some yachts have jumped the gun, and will be interesting to see what happens.

Best guess? Nothing will be happen to them and they will be allowed to stay.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 14:59   #13

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
1. Some yachts have jumped the gun, and will be interesting to see what happens. Some planned to spend a few days hanging out at Minerva Reef to ensure that their sailing time between Opua and Denerau is 14 days. But we understand Tonga (Minerva is Tongan territory) now have a gun boat patrolling the area to make shoo boats along.
1. Minerva is disputed between Tonga and Fiji. Of the two, it's actually within Fiji's EEZ, not Tonga's. Tonga patrols the reef area for the purpose of enforcing fishing/habitat restrictions.

2. About a week ago, Tonga officially said that yachts at Minerva could remain there for as long as the Tongan patrol vessel(s) were present.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 21:01   #14

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Don't forget to bring along a Lima signal flag, so as to be prepared to stand a requisite quarantine, in addition to the usual Quebec signal flag used for requesting free pratique to those few countries that may still avail free pratique protocols during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you have difficulty locating the L flag, one can use a permanent ink, black marker to color in a spare all yellow Q flag.
I didn't understand how Lima ("you should stop you vessel immediately") would be used in this situation. Having checked: "The (Lima) flag is flown from a ship that is either arriving in port with known serious health problems or that has been placed under quarantine by the local port authorities. Once the local authorities have determined that the ship’s health problems have been resolved and removed the quarantine order, the ship may fly the free pratique flag (e.g., the international signal flag QUEBEC), which is solid yellow. https://www.maritimeprofessional.com...ine-flag-13441 "
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 21:52   #15

Boat: Lancer 36

Hawaii will be extending the 14 day quarantine for arrivals past the August 1 date that had been previously set, according to the Lt. Governor. An official notice from the Governor will be forthcoming after the weekend.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Fiji