Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2012, 16:21   #1

Boat: Colvic Watson 23'9"
Favourite SE Queensland Anchorages?

Gang,

My son and I are going for a several-days cruise in the Broadwater and Southern Moreton Bay, probably no farther north than the inlet between North Stradbroke and Moreton Islands, next week or perhaps the week after. Care to share any favourite lunchtime or nighttime anchorages in that territory? My boat is six-and-a-half metres long and draws less than a metre. I have the paper charts for the area, a Beacon-to-Beacon book, a GPS plotter, and a depth sounder. Thanx in advance!

Don
rabbidoninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 23:04   #2

Boat: Colvic Watson 23'9"
Re: Favourite SE Queensland Anchorages?

Hmm...maybe this information is top secret? C'mon gang, at six-and-a-half metres I won't crowd you out of the anchorage! And I'll keep it under my hat!

Nu, a good weekend all!

Don
rabbidoninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 23:55   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

There are so many, Don! Horseshoe Bay on Peel is great, especially during the week, but gets too crowded on the weekends. Snorkel on the wreck, have a barbie on the beach, try to find the old leper colony ruins in the bush.

Then you have the One Mile on N Straddie (great for the Oyster festival each November), Bird Island for a picnic, or the quiet anchorage down the middle part of Straddie opposite Canaipa Point. How about the sand hills on the south end of Moreton and walk across to the ocean side? Fishing near Jumpinpin?

The list is endless.

You want history? Go to St Helena and check out all the old convict ruins. You want action? Go and tie up to the wharf at Sanctuary Cove and get on the piss at the pub there. It cost $20 a night 10 years ago.

It is a bit of a known secret but not really appreciated by too many. You go to Karragarra and run up on the sandy beach immediately to the west of the ferry terminal. Time it for low tide. You need a bottle of white wine, some lemon and a standard screwdriver. You then walk along the white sand, using your screwdriver to knock off the oysters on the rocks. It is very rare to be able to find a place where you can walk along in the sand and be able to get oysters straight off the rocks.

Enjoy!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 11:41   #4

A bit further north there's the wrecks at Tangalooma. Very busy on wekends though. There's a well protected spot near Kooringal in amongst the oyster leases - good in pretty much any wind direction.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, queensland