Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 22:29   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Eden to Tasmania and Back

The boat is almost ready, and we are considering a cruise to Tasmania in Dec/Jan, before we head north. Who has done the trip any tips/experiences would be great.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:38   #2

Boat: Peterson 46
Hiya SFMNWN(shortcut),
I have no experience of that area, but am planning to head south possibly next xmas. Good luck, safe passsage and if/when you get further up, look us up.

Looks like you are sailing a good yacht.

I (occassionally) surf a 9.2 &/or a darby funboard at any reef/ creek entrance I find. For example Pancake Ck or Agnes Water. Anchor off and dinghy in to surf. No-one around to drop in on you and its the real deal. Its great to hear someone else has the same idea.
DC
VMQ9575
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Tassie and back

There are good cruising guides available for Tassie including west coast. A few weather-dependant holes on the west coast along with the obvious hole in the wall.
Really just picking your weather and go like hell. Motor sail if you need to rather than hang around waiting for trouble. April / May seems to be good weather with those crystalline clear days. Do Tassie before heading off to the Whitsundays.
From Eden head for Refuge or the Hogan Group, wait for the next window then East coast. No need to fill in the rest I guess.

Slocum thought it was paradise on earth. Maybe right.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 21:11   #4

Thanks Guys,

Hey Rusky, I knew about Agness having surf, but not Pancake. Do you get much surf at Fitzroy Reef, Lady Musgrave or Elliot Islands. I have heard lots of stories of great waves on the GBR. Let me know you can pm if you like.

Old 16-09-2009, 05:17   #5

Boat: boat less ATM
Thumbs up I'll race Ya, Surf Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
The boat is almost ready, and we are considering a cruise to Tasmania in Dec/Jan, before we head north. Who has done the trip any tips/experiences would be great.
Hey Surf Dude,
I think you have been channeling me.

I am trying to talk the cabin boy into the same thing but she is a bit leery of the Bass Strait crossing. I have worked down on Flinders and King Islands in 2006 and they are some VERY windy kinda places - evidenced by the over thousand souls who lost their lives running into the west coast of King Island when their ships' captains mistook the lighthouse on the top of King I for the Otway Light in Victoria further north.
OOPS "Now where did I put my GPS? Oh Sheeet! Not invented yet."

The grass on King Island is so lush making it the home of some of the best beef and cheese in the world, because it originated from the Irish hay that was used as stuffing in all those mattresses that washed up on the beaches from the ship wrecked boats .

On the east (leeward) side of King Island is Sea Elephant Bay - fantastic long sandy beach. Offshore perfection if you are into kelp and COLD water. All the Elephant Seals have long ago been exterminated by hungry sealers (probably Yanks)

The photo on the left below is the tiny harbour on the west coast at the main town. Check the surf in the background but it is usually onshore on that west, windward side. The entrance to this place consists of three dog legs around reefs. The cray boat captains are just mad men. Watching them negotiate the entrance in bad weather which is 80% of the time is SCARY. The photo on the right is the harbour that was built at the bottom, southern end for supplies and to offload King Island beef. Another very windy anchorage.

I have a mate who is a delivery skipper and he reckons he will never sail south of Botany Bay again after doing a few deliveries to & from Tassie. But those guys don't have the luxury of waiting for weather windows or stopping to smell the roses, poor sods.

Post here or PM me if you get more cruising info re Tassie and I will race you from Wilson's Prom in Feb 2010.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	9957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	9958  

svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:36   #6

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Well, I guess it is no surprise that the wind blows strongly from the west (or north, or sometimes east) in Bass Strait - not much between there and Africa. Grassy Harbour on the east of King Island is a much more forgiving port of call in preference to the west coast. Fortunately, the regular progression of weather systems usually gives you a day or two in between. April/May usually more settled with many still clear days.

I reckon that getting across Bass Strait from Eden is not so bad with weather holes in behind Gabo Island, at Refuge or Waterloo Bay, Hogan Group and Flinders. Not too bad a dash to the East coast of Tassie hey.

If the crew is bit anxious about this, may be better experience all round to take one or two crew - paid or otherwise.
I had elected to single-hand from Melb to Sydney via the islands around the Prom, Refuge and Hogan Group. Could have but took another as crew at last moment and had a rollicking conversation all the way even though we had two heavy blows on the way. Just less anxiety and stress. Did get bitten by a White Tailed Spider hiding in my Stormy Seas suit though - knee blew up for the next 10 days or so.

VHF and mobile phones do not work in Refuge Cove. Weather reception is an imperitative of course - make sure you get ALL the updates.

Doing Tassie is a great start to your sailing. Much more interesting than waters north of Moreton Bay. Stick to the east and south coasts and you will have a couple of wonderful months with little stress. SO many ports and beautiful anchorages. And by the time you head north you will, of course, be old salts - don't think that the wind magically slows north of Sydney.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:55   #7

20 something years ago I sailed to Melbourne from Devonport, island hopping on the east route. Had a rough night "sheltering" behind Goose Island (I think). Deal/Erith Islands were a nice place to relax for the night and so to refuge cove.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:28   #8

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
just look at the histroy of sydney to hobart yacth race and melbourne to devenport race from xmas to late jan you get nth east winds and having lived for 28 yrs at lakes entrance and experinced the the roaring forties there myself on many ocassions . if you are fully competent with big blows and sea's go for it but if not wait until feb
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 18:36   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Eden to Tassie is not necessarily as scary as people make out. Its only about 200 nautical miles (roughly) from Edden to Eddystone, so al song as you don't head out into adverse weather, its only a day and a half "across the pond". Provided you are not in a hurry and can wait in Eden for a weather window that gives you 2-3 days of favourable weather, you can charge south and before you now it, you'll be anchored in Wineglass Bay!

All the scary stories you hear about the Sydney - Hobart race are generated by the fact that it is a race. Sure, if you head out into a huge southerly its going to be horrible, but in a race, you make that choice. If you are cruising, why would you leave Eden unless you have the conditions tha suit you?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 21:41   #10

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
Spot on Weyalan - many crossings are done in mill pond condition because people wait for the weather window (which often means no wind!) Just have plenty of fuel!
Old 21-09-2009, 00:31   #11

Boat: Norseman 447
We did the trip four years ago, loved it so much we know call Dover Tasmania home. Left Eden Feb 14 after 7 day wait for window, crossed to Babel Island and worked our way down East coast, some of the best cruising in Australia, be prepared for all or nothing weather and carry plenty of fuel as motoring in flat calm beats being beat up, lots of good all weather anchorages and good cruising guides
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:48   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
We did the trip four years ago, loved it so much we know call Dover Tasmania home. Left Eden Feb 14 after 7 day wait for window, crossed to Babel Island and worked our way down East coast, some of the best cruising in Australia
Sssshh! It is supposed to be a secret!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:22   #13

Ok so now we are in Eden waiting, a window looks to be coming Sunday. What is Deal Island like it? It looks like you can get favourable anchorages in all weather. I'd love to hear from anyone thats been there.

Old 14-04-2012, 15:41   #14

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Eden to Tasmania and Back

Hi Weyalan, my name is Ted, I live up in Launceston. I've got a 35' Ketch that I'm doing up (brought it down from Adelaide in Sept last year) and I'm planning a two week trip to Flinders at Christmas time. From Boxing day. The reason I'm planning it then is purely because I work with a team for dhhs and I can't get another spot to take three weeks off. I'm starting to plan now for the trip and wanted a contingency plan if the weather is not good enough etc. Any suggestions. Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote