Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 13:59   #1

Boat: IP 40
Day Sailing - Oahu

Howdy folks,

My wife and I will be on Oahu for a few days closing out a dive trip to Truk at the end of the month. We decided to take advantage of the layover and stay a few days on the island and would really like a chance to do a day of actual for real, no motor involved, not a cattle boat, or snorkeling trip...sailing. Anyone have a recommendation for a way to get out for a day of sailing while we're there?

Thanks in advance,
EB
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 00:08   #2

When you going to be here. We take our boat out most Saturdays.
gregmacdonald77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38   #3

Re: Day Sailing - Oahu

Well that would be awesome but unfortunately the only full day we have open is Wed the 29th. We didn't want to try and squeeze it into a half day with anything else on the schedule, so we can just enjoy the experience of not needing to be anywhere in particular. We'll be flying out late on the 30th.

Thanks again
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Hi

Give Gabe a call at Kaimana Divers in Honolulu 808-772-1795 Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kaimana Divers | Dive Oahu | Contact Us

He is down near the harbor front and possibly point you in the right direction. He is the best dive outfit on the island as well but I am sure you will have your fill of that after returning from Truk. I'm so jealous. I just watched Jacque Cousteaus documentary on Truk. My bucket list for sure.

Tim
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:30   #5

Thanks Tim, it's been on my bucket list for a long time as well. I'm extremely excited to be going, since we've been planning it for about 2 years. That being said, if I had it to do over I probably would opt to put the massive amounts of cash that go into funding a trip like this, directly into the cruising kitty and then just dive to my hearts content once we're able to pull the trigger and go either a little sooner, or with even more buffer.

Still, we're locked into this trip and I've always wanted to dive there, so we're treating this as our last expensive vacation. The rest of our future travels will e focused on budget and accumulating more sailing experience and time "roughing it" on a boat.
Old 06-05-2013, 15:00   #6

That trip is worth it. Especially if your a wreck junkie. I have lofty dreams of sailing over there and staying a month or more and really checking the area out but that is a pretty lofty dream. I would fly over like you and be there instantly and will probably do that. I looked into some liveaboard options over there for my son and I and it wasnt to terribly priced for what you get. But we love wreck diving. My thought is to fly over check it out and get a small taste in the week we are there and if its what I think it is, then put it on the sail destination wish list. We are planning Truk for 2015. (Fly over). Let me know how you make out and post some pics. If you do get a chance to do a day dive in oahu, have Kaimana divers take you to the "Sea Tiger" and/or the Corsair WW11 wreck. Here is a pic of my son and I last month there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey Dad and Scuba Instructor.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	60461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey and Dad WW2 Warplane.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	60462  

Old 06-05-2013, 16:06   #7

You got it, love wreck dives and will be hauling about 60-70 lbs of camera, housings, strobes etc...so I hope to come back with some decent pics and will do my best to share them once we're back. We're booked aboard the odyssey for a week of liveaboard diving and I'm definitely pumped about it.

I doubt the wife is going to be down for much diving once we get back to Hawaii, 7 days of 4 dives (or more a day is a lot). We really are hoping to get in some actual sailing if at all possible. Not looking for a booze cruise or anything on the typical tourist track, we're willing to work and just really enjoy being out on the water. So please keep the recommendations coming.
Old 06-05-2013, 16:53   #8

I can understand being pooped after that many dives. I will check out odyssey. I was looking at aggressor. I think that one just opened not that long ago. I have spent a fair amount of time on Maui and Oahu and I was really surprised at the lack of sailing activities. We did a 2 hour tour on one of the Americas Cup boats out of Maui and would suggest a pass on that one. Tourist trap. I went and spoke to a few fishing charter boats and asked why the lack of sailing charters and they laughed at me and said "take a look out on the water and you will know why". Not the best around Maui and not sure about Oahu. I was out several times on dive boats ect and looked ok to me. Yeah it blows a stink but depends when you go out too. Hopefully you can meet CF crusier on here who is there and can take you out. I have not seen any sail charters advertisements there and we have a vacation condo there. It was disapointing for me at the lack of sailing interest. (commercially speaking)
Old 06-05-2013, 21:05   #9

Here is one to get you cranked up but I am sure you have seen it.

Sport diving on the wrecks of Truk Lagoon
Old 06-05-2013, 21:37   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
I was fortunate enough to dive Truk 30+ years ago as part of a scientific expedition. It was so awesome! I have always wanted to go back but it just hasn't worked out. You are going to have an awesome time!!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 22:02   #11

I'm confused. Are you looking to sail or dive? By yourself on someone else's boat, or with the owner of a boat?

tcul
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23   #12

Sorry for the confusion, Truk is just one of those destinations that gets those of us that dive pumped up.

As for the question in the OP, once we get to Hawaii we'll be done diving and are looking for a day of sailing. Neither of us has the skills to take a boat out on our own...yet, but weather permitting, we'd really like to get out and enjoy a day of sailing away from the giant tourist cattle boats if possible.

So we're either looking for a commercial boat that actually sails, and the fewer people the better, or a private boat looking to meet some new friends and possibly pick up a little extra cash in the process. We're googling around but so far nothing has jumped out at us, and figured this was worth shot.

Thanks

Tags
oahu, sailing