Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 14:02   #31

Re: Coral reefs in the Pacific

If it remains respectful and productive then,,,,OK I'm in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I just knew this was going to happen

NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 15:59   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWDave View Post
If it remains respectful and productive then,,,,OK I'm in.

Productive? I've never seen anyone's opinion altered one iota in all of the previous similar threads.

If you want to see all of Jackdale's "party line" references, there's no need to wait for him to post them yet again. You'll find them repeated on all the previous GW threads

StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 18:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Productive? I've never seen anyone's opinion altered one iota in all of the previous similar threads.

If you want to see all of Jackdale's "party line" references, there's no need to wait for him to post them yet again. You'll find them repeated on all the previous GW threads
You are correct. It would be a fruitless discussion and off topic. I will give it a pass.

My posts are available here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rchid=31965216
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 04:19   #34

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
My 50 years of wreck / reef / wall diving in SE Asia, Hawaii and Mayan reef has unscientifically been spectacular. Just out of curiosity how old are the planet's reefs? What has the temperature profile been during that period? As the planet warms what areas will degrade? What areas will proliferate? btw where does limestone come from?
Quote:
Good read! https://dec.vermont.gov/geological-s...-geology/Chazy TY! I was kinda asking a couple loaded questions. I really struggle with the concept that an ocean a couple degrees warmer and or a tiny change in the amount of CO2 (a gas that makes up a total of .04% of our atmosphere) will have a devastating effect on the reefs. If we have a 5% rise in CO2 it will be .002% of our atmosphere(if i got the math right). We are supposed to believe a couple few degrees warmer and .002% change in the atmosphere will be devastating? Coral reefs are millions of years old. They have existed even flourished through extensive changes in climate and atmospheric conditions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record
Ignorance, either feigned or genuine, is never attractive, in spite of much of the propaganda put out by western (or western-style) media.

Doubly so given the relative ease with which actual facts can be had by those willing to put more effort into gathering these facts than perusing the latest self-confirming collection of mass media tripe.

To put the tired old "I really struggle with the concept that an ocean a couple degrees warmer and or a tiny change in the amount of CO2 (a gas that makes up a total of .04% of our atmosphere) will have a devastating effect on the reefs." trope into a perspective that might have a larger relevance for some of the usual suspects here, let's compare testosterone in human blood to CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

From memory, according to the data, CO2 levels in the atmosphere have averaged around 280 ppm for at least the last million years or so; in the last 150, they increased roughly by half, to 420 ppm currently, due primarily and ultimately to the adoption of an individual-first, technology-driven, capitalistic socio-economic business model by certain governments.

Our simultaneous recognition of the properties, nature and effects of gases at the beginning of this period, soon led to the speculation, and later confirmation, of what the result of changing the ratios of such (seemingly) small constituents in the atmosphere would be. It's just physics, and luckily (for some), opinion doesn't enter into it, or alter the facts in the least.

Comparing that 'tiny' 420 (or 280) ppm level of CO2 in the atmosphere to that of testosterone in the blood of humans; an 'average' male has about .006 ppm, an 'average' female .00045.

Crudely put another way, the difference in you and your wife/girlfriend/whatever female is determined by a .00555 ppm difference in the quantity of a single hormone in your blood.

Whether you believe it or not, "a couple few degrees warmer and .002% change in the atmosphere will be devastating" is devastating (at least to life-as-we-know-it), will continue to be so, and is (for now) on track to get worse or very much worse...

There are no living coral reefs on earth that are "millions of years old".
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 04:53   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Crudely put another way, the difference in you and your wife/girlfriend/whatever female is determined by a .00555 ppm difference in the quantity of a single hormone in your blood.

ROTFLMAO.
So chromosomes have nothing to do with gender?

And until puberty males and females are identical?

Who'd have guessed?
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 18:00   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PLEASE keep this discussion on topic, and remember

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. --From the Community Rules

Failure to follow the rules will lead to thread closure.

JPA Cate

Tags
coral, reefs