Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 19:10   #1

Canadian registration or licensing

We’re are Canadian and wish to sail south next month. Just wondering if anyone one know what’s the best way to go pros cons of license vs registration. I am of the understanding that the boat license is not prof of ownership. Would I be able to go that route and just use a bill of sale as prof of ownerships. I had called the Canadian gov yesterday and the informed me that they have a back log and are only issuing licenses that they received in May. So on to my next question. Would I be able to enter the U S before receiving my copy in the mail?

Thanks in advance it seams fairly confusing on the gov web sites
Sailingdecourm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 19:28   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Canadian registration or licensing

I don't believe US Customs and Immigration cares who owns the boat as long as you didn't steal it. You're right, the "boat license" is not proof of ownership. They are very concerned about your citizenship and they will want to know the registration number of the boat and where the boat is registered. I would NOT go anywhere before you have the registration in hand! As for licensing, that's not part of this discussion.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 07:19   #3

Thanks for your reply. I think the confusing part is that a licensed vessel in Canada is similar to what a US registration is.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:03   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

South? How far south? I know for a fact that a license will be fine in the U.S. and have heard fairly authoritatively that it will be ok in the Bahamas. The further you get away, the more likely having registered the boat will be advisable.

At the risk of breaking some forum rule there was a recent thread on this over on SN
Old 24-07-2019, 08:08   #5

We are going through all this right now.

(From this point on I'm using all CANADIAN terms in regards to License Vs. Registration)

Call Transport Canada and they will tell you it MUST be registered to enter a foreign nation because a registration is proof of ownership\title and is the only document a foreign body can look up since it's federal and internationally shared\accessible.

With that being said we've submitted for our registration, it's a hell of a collection of forms... but our boat is already Licensed at least.

Will it arrive in time for our Sept. departure? Doesn't sound good lol. They did say they can email the Reg when it's done so there's that...

I emailed US customs and they didn't seem to care one way or another and gave me a vague answer.

Many frequent travellers to the US on another forum jumped on me saying TC doesn't know what they are talking about and a License is fine, no Reg needed to get into the US.

Personally I'd find the port you plan to check in via (mine will be Drummond Island or Buffalo) and ask there what they expect.
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 08:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingdecourm View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I had called the Canadian gov yesterday and the informed me that they have a back log and are only issuing licenses that they received in May.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did you mean registration in this sentence?

My bot is licensed in BC. I go to the American San Juan Islands often, no issues.

Yup, how far south seems to be part of your issue. Could you please tell us?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 08:40   #7

Boat: Union cutter 33

I just went threw this with my boat you register the name of vessel and it isn’t done threw transport canada any more google name registration in Canada cost is 525 dollars you need bill of sale that has been noterized to show ownership done this for two boats in last 2 yrs last yr cost was 400 this year a bit more you need this to go to forein ports
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 09:12   #8

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

In Canada “registration” is akin to the US “documentation.” Provincial license is like a state registration.
Transport Canada is slow but everything can be done online so there is that. I would suggest you do both.... Do your provincial license and then file your TC registration.
My registration took about 3 months last year.
Old 24-07-2019, 09:27   #9

Just going through this myself. Get your Pleasure Craft Licence (do it online) and in short order (day or two) you will get the Licence back from TC. This allows you to go to US. In the meantime, apply for the Registration, which as you say is backlogged to May applications. When your Registration comes through, remove the Licence number from either side of your bow, put the name and port of registry on the transom. If you are in the States when your Registration comes through, you will need the original from TC as the US CBP won't recognize a copy. While in the US with a Licence, you will need to clear in to and out of each port. To avoid the cost of each clearance, get a decal from DTOPS (available online for $28 for the year).
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 10:15   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromTheNorth View Post
We are going through all this right now.

(From this point on I'm using all CANADIAN terms in regards to License Vs. Registration)

Call Transport Canada and they will tell you it MUST be registered to enter a foreign nation because a registration is proof of ownership\title and is the only document a foreign body can look up since it's federal and internationally shared\accessible.

With that being said we've submitted for our registration, it's a hell of a collection of forms... but our boat is already Licensed at least.

Will it arrive in time for our Sept. departure? Doesn't sound good lol. They did say they can email the Reg when it's done so there's that...

I emailed US customs and they didn't seem to care one way or another and gave me a vague answer.

Many frequent travellers to the US on another forum jumped on me saying TC doesn't know what they are talking about and a License is fine, no Reg needed to get into the US.

Personally I'd find the port you plan to check in via (mine will be Drummond Island or Buffalo) and ask there what they expect.

Its 5 forms and a few pictures. no big deal and can all be done online, including payment.

It established ownership too ( but you give 36 shares to the queen!) where Licensing only proves you've paid sales tax!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 10:42   #11

Thanks for pointing that out over on sn. Sounds like the way I will need to go is to apply for the license as it is not as back logged. Then afterworlds apply for the registration and have it mailed down the coast to me
Old 24-07-2019, 11:08   #12

Stu Jackson yes you are right. I did mean registration. As for how far south at least as afar as the canal then east
Old 24-07-2019, 11:19   #13

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

How long is your boat? A consideration may be that, for Transport Canada registration, there's a 'quirky' tonnage survey requirement on boats over 12m. Between 12 and 15 m there's a simplified calculation that I don't believe requires an approved 'Tonnage Surveyor', but over 15m you need to have a physical survey for registration.

From Transport Canada's website:
Have the vessel measured for tonnage under Canadian rules by one of the following methods:
-Non-Calculated Tonnage (Assigned Formal Tonnage)
- Less than 8.5 m = gross tonnage of 4.99
- 8.5m or more but less than 10 m = gross tonnage of 9.99
- 10 m or more but less than 12m = gross tonnage of 14.99
-Calculated Tonnage Measurement
For the simplified method complete one of the following forms:
- Simplified Method of Tonnage Measurement for monohull vessels of not more than 15 metres in length, having not more than a single tier of deckhouses and/or superstructures whose total combined length does not exceed 70% of the length;
- Tonnage Measurement of a Simple Multihull Vessel for simple multihull vessels of not more than 15 metres in length, consisting of a flat platform installed on two or more pontoon hulls and having no other spaces that could contribute to the volume of the vessel except the pontoons.
- Have the vessel measured for tonnage by a duly appointed Tonnage Measurer.

Surveyors for this are on an approved list with Transport Canada. Inside Canada, it's pretty straightforward, but gets harder the further afield you get. The previous owners of our Amel did the Canadian Registration with the boat in the Caribbean, but they had to fly an approved surveyor from another island to do it.

Regards,
Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 11:22   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingdecourm View Post
Thanks for pointing that out over on sn. Sounds like the way I will need to go is to apply for the license as it is not as back logged. Then afterworlds apply for the registration and have it mailed down the coast to me
If I am understanding correctly, don't you need the license even to operate your boat in Canada, let alone cross into the United States?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 11:26   #15

My boat is a c&c 32 so 9.6m. Has any of you fellow Canadians entered Mexico via Tijuana with only the Canadian boat license?

Tags
registration