Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2006, 08:23   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Canada to US to Canada

I haven't posted the details but I've closed on my new to me Sceptre 41 s/v Ohana. I have a new engine sitting in the back of my truck bought from one of our crew here on CF for a good price(PM me if you want the name) and I'm off to Canada, a 17 hour drive. I don't know if this should go under regulations and red tape or destinations.

Here's the deal. Ohana is a US registered boat that has been under an import bond while undergoing a major refit in Richmond BC. The owner decided to sell it while the boat was undergoing the refit and I bought it (i'm a US Citizen). Canada insists that the boat leave Canadian waters as soon as the refit is completed. Once I leave Canada I need to fax documents to the broker to show that the boat has left the country. A friend has a dock in Sidney BC where he said we could keep the boat. So we'll clear US Customs at Friday Harbor WA and then go back into Canada and clear Canadian customs at Sidney BC. From there we need to get a special importation permit (E99) that allows us to leave the boat in Canada for six months problem is that we need to spend a day on the boat every 30 days. It's OK for Sep and in Oct we'll go up and cruise for a week when the kids have a week off of school. In Nov we're going to have the engine replaced in Port Townsend WA or maybe in Canada. From there we might take it back to Sceptre Marine and have some work done on it in Canada under another special importation permit or leave it in WA somewhere on the hard.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 09:00   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Question: Does the regulation stipulate the "owner" must be on the boat for a day, or that "anyone" must be on the boat for a day?

Also, if you look at a map of BC and the state of Washington, there is a small point of land, only accessible through greater VAncouver that is US territory; its called Point Roberts. Why not take your boat there, much closer than Friday Harbour. Point Roberts has border type people.

Here is a good link to Point Roberts Marina with a map showing you exactly what I am talking about.

http://www.dawndreamer.ca/point_roberts.htm

Also, why not moor you boat at Point Roberts, which is in the USA but is really part of Vancouver so you have the best of both worlds, your boat moored in the states but you have access to Canadian waters.

Also people love Point Roberts as they see it as a "gated" community. The Point isn't very large but with homeland security, border patrols, etc, its like living in a "gated" town.

By the way, in the top left corner of the pic on the web site I have linked to, you can see Vancouver International. So you can fly into Vancouver, in Richmond, then hop a taxi to Point Roberts.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 18:25   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks RSN:

Have afree berth in Sidney that is why I am headed there. Talked to the people at Point Roberts Customs. Didn't know how to get the boat in the US. Wanted me to hire a customs agent. So I called Friday Harbour and the lady I spoke with took all in stride. They seem to know their stuff better so we will go over there.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 09:03   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
The woman must either have been new, stupid or lazy, or all three. Point Roberts has been used by Americans and Canadians for as long as it has existed to move goods, avoid taxes, buy cheap gas, drink on Sunday's when it was illegal to do so in BC, etc. In the old days in Canada, if a boat was two years old or older, you didn't have to pay duty on it when brought into Canada. A buddy of mine kept his boat (along with many others) at the Point Roberts Marina for two years until he could bring it into Canada without duty. Interestingly we used to sail more in the off season, in the dark to Friday harbour than at any other time of the year. I can remember one day thinking - "I've done more sailing in the dark than in daylight" as we sailed yet another time to Friday or Roche harbour.

Here is a link that may or may not help you, this is custom's info in the Point Roberts Marina web site; it appears they know more than the custom's lady.

http://www.pointrobertsmarina.com/regulatory/index.html
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada