Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 11:08   #1

Boat: Clark San Juan 21 -- Caledonia Bound
Send a message via MSN to DefiantSix
California Coastal Conditions...

My wife's family is hosting a family reunion - a beach campout - at Carpenteria, CA this June. We just bought our own boat - the San Juan 21 - and after getting back up to speed on the lake waters around Northern Colorado, we thought that this trip might be a good one for me to get back into more open waters, and introduce my family to coastal sailing. We have an inflatable we intend to use as a tender, and we'd anchor just outside the surf zone off the campground each night.

What can y'all tell me about the wind and current conditions in the Santa Barbara area in June? Is the idea a good one, or wishful thinking on my part?

-- Marcus Aurelius Caesar
DefiantSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 11:18   #2

Trailering down. Intend to launch from the trailer at Santa Barbara, sail the 11 miles to the campground and anchor it outside the surf zone for three nights, using the inflatable to ferry nephews and nieces out for quick jaunts along the coast.

Old 23-04-2008, 11:42   #3

DefiantSix,

You might want to ask over at the Trailer Sailor forum...
Trailer Sailor Discussion Forum - Message Index

They have a LOT of folks over there that would know.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 12:36   #4

Boat: O'Day 302 Wild Rose
Afternoon Def6,
Don’t want to rain on your party, but.
I’ve never heard of anyone anchoring off the beach at Carp. If the seas are flat you can anchor anywhere, but that area is not protected at all. The water stays shallow quite a ways out.
You might want to think about getting a slip up at SB marina, they’re not that expensive and are usually available. SB itself is a great town. Nice beach, great eating places everywhere, lot’s to see.
I’ll check with my guild and talk to a few people tonight and let you know tomorrow what I find out.
The weather in June should be good, except we do get this thing called "June Gloom", most people call it fog and it can hang around a good part of the day.
Just curious, have you ever taken a dink through a surf zone ?? It can be a little tricky and if the swell is up even a little dangerous.

Dave………….
Tuna Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 13:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Defiant6 - NO one anchors there. There is a reason for that. It is an open area to both the prevailing winds and swells (San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands do not buffer the open ocean swell (fetch = 6,000 miles?)). The shore bottom is semi-rocky with lots and lots of kelp.

In addition, I would call Carpenteria's Police Department and ask them if their are any local restrictions.

Good luck.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 13:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Defiant6 - NO one anchors there. There is a reason for that. It is an open area to both the prevailing winds and swells (San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands do not buffer the open ocean swell (fetch = 6,000 miles?)). The shore bottom is semi-rocky with lots and lots of kelp.

In addition, I would call Carpenteria's Police Department and ask them if their are any local restrictions.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reality check. That's why I wanted to ask. Looks like I'll be setting up around Santa Barbara and using a slip at night.

Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:36   #7

For those who've been following this thread, I just got done speaking with the rangers station at the Carpenteria State Beach campsites.

According to them, anchoring offshore is permitted, but no closer than 1000' from the shoreline. They also mentioned the kelp beds, and suggested making sure I'm outside of them for dropping anchor. Shuttling to and from shore with the inflatable is permitted.

As far as sea state goes, the Ranger told me that for that time of year, the waters are nearly glassy, with only minor waves at the shoreline.

Our intentions at this point then, are to rent the slip at Santa Barbara for night use, and during the day shuttle nieces and nephews and the like out via the inflatable tender.

Old 01-05-2008, 13:01   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Stay south of Point Conception. The weather in Souther California is generally pretty nice in the summer months and mostly fog free. You obviously though still need to keep up on the weather reports.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 13:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

From the NDBC buoy off of Santa Barbara, wave height in the last 24 hours has varied between 4.6 and 8.2 feet, average period between 5 and 6 seconds ::shrug:: I dunno .. but to ME, that doesn't sound "Glassy".

NDBC - Station 46053
Old 01-05-2008, 14:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Here is a view of the chart for the area: Maptech : Topo Maps Charts Navigation Software GPS and Online MapServer

If you are a 1000' off the shore, you'll be in about 30 feet of water. You'll need approximately 150 feet of chain and rode to have the minimum 5:1 scope if you want to anchor. The depth, remember, is at mean low tide .. we have about 6 to 8 foot tidal swing, along with a 6 foot swell, your actual minimum rode would be closer to 210 feet.
Old 01-05-2008, 14:14   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just setting the hook on a glassy day will be a problem. I would look for a safer alternative. If I remember correctly there are some nice restaraunts next to the marina. There is also a long grassy strip between the water, and the road. Take short sails out of the marina, and make it a safe, and fun day.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 14:24   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
Brian Fagan wrote a good book called the Crusisisng Guide to Central and Southern California. Lots of info in the book. I've looked at the Costal Pilot and the Cruising Guide and the only info that I have seen is that there are oil platform off of Carpenteria. I remember camping at the state beach as a kid in July and there was a pretty big swell. Good enough for body surfing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 14:35   #13
Senior Cruiser

SB Harbor has Brophy Brothers, Breakwater, Endless Summer, and if you belong to a reciprocal YC, the SBYC has a full service bar and restuarant. The harbor is about 3 blocks from the main restuarant area. There is a nice park area along the Santa Barbara waterfront that stretches about 3 miles.

Tags
california