Old 19-03-2011, 15:22   #1

CAIT for Indonesia

What should it cost???
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 18:26   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: 50ft yacht
Re: CAIT for indonesia

Like many things in Indonesia and many other countries which don't use 'fixed price' systems, there probably isn't an answer to this. Do you mean how cheap can it be ? The three events which operate in Indonesia will all organize your C.A.I.T. for free , well as part of their entry fee. Sail Maluku is the cheapest by far at about $50 inc T Shirt, most importantly though, all will organize your Customs Bond. and that is where all of the recent problems have occurred. Sail Maluku [which is not a rally as such, more an info and support program to promote the Spice Islands as a cruising destination] is planned for mid august as that is when the rainy season is coming to an end. As it's already basically April the timing doesn't seem bad for Yachts on the east coast many of whom are probably still recovering. email or PM if we can help more.
Old 29-03-2011, 14:29   #3

Boat: Liberty 49

I've talked with several people who arrange CAITs, sponsor visas, and are able to deal with the customs bond issue. I'm no expert but this is what they told me:

I won't go too much into the bond issue. I think its been a hassle for some and non-issue for others. The advice we've been given is either 1) pay a significant amount of money to a registered shipping agent and they will deal with it before you get there or 2) Simply refuse to pay it. Depending on the port of entry I suppose either strategy would be fine. Seems each port is different AND port officials change regularly.

I've talked extensively with Indonautical and their fees are (in Rp):

CAIT: 2,000,000
Agent Fee (in Kupang): 2,500,000
Sponsor Letter for Social Visa*: 1,000,000 per person

Indonautical is a registered shipping agent and were used by the Blue Water Rally to get over the bond issue. These fees reflect that. If you read Noonsite, it says that the BWR was "kicked out" due to their agent not being registered. Indonautical has told me it is because BWR did not use them to begin with. Only after they had problems did they use Indonautical. I didn't confirm this with BWR yet. I believe the Indonesia Rally also uses Indonautical but not 100% sure.

I've also talked with PT Kartasa Jaya. They arrange CAIT and sponsor letters only. They work with Asia Pacific Superyachts as an intermediary for super yacht (which we are definitely not) check-ins. APS has been fantastic at answering my questions quickly. They are also a registered shipping agent. They have advised us to refuse to pay the bond and contact them if it becomes necessary. If it becomes a huge issue they have said they will provide the guarantee (rough estimate was US$500 for a 15 meter boat!). The fees (Rp) are:

CAIT: 1,850,000
Agent Fee: Varies but they said budget 5-6 million for check in AND out. They also said you don't have to use an agent. I believe their quote may be high as they are used to dealing with super yachts.
Sponsor Letter for Social Visa*: PT Kartasa 750,000/person or APS US$50/person

Our plan is to check in at Ambon without an agent and try to avoid the topic of the bond.

I've been over the visa issue (for US and Canadian) and have found that visa on arrival MAY be available, but may not (especially in Ambon). If you get a visa on arrival, it MAY be extended, but may not. Helpful, right?

We'll be there pretty late in the season, likely October-ish, so who knows if this will all change by the time we get there.

I hadn't contacted malukusailor, but I may to see what their advice is, as that is the area we really want to cruise.

Best of luck!

*These fees don't include any consulate/embassy fees that may be charged for the social visa.
tararenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: 50ft yacht

Hi, such a lot of confusing and contrary info isn't there. $50au per crew is all it takes. C.A.I.T and Bond , Oct no problem. email for further info.
Old 07-04-2011, 19:31   #5

Re: CAIT for Indonesia

I ran into an Australian federal police officer the other night at the bar.
He has explained to me why I am having difficulty getting information in regard to using Merauke, Indonesia as an entry port.
Apparantly Merauke is an Indonesian army/navy base.
He did explain that as long as I have Merauke on my CAIT and a visa BEFORE entry, and I explian that my stay is check in and fuel only, I should not have any problems.
Leaving Brisbane for cape york on Sunday
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24   #6

Hello Malukusailor,
I do need a CAIT to go to Indonesia in March 2014.
What steps I have to do to get this CAIT please? Or do you have any information regarding this CAIT application?
Best regards.
Willy
mbu745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 16:28   #7

We travelled though Indonesia two years ago, used Helen of Ambon, very good service. Did not need a bond and were never asked for one. Make sure your Indonesian visa is up to date at All times,
Regards,
Beau
Old 14-10-2013, 08:28   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We joined the Sail Indonesia Rally this year and our AU$550 entry fee included the CAIT and visas for everyone on board (there were four of us). Besides being a bargain, we were treated like royalty everywhere we went and local people were continuously going over-the-top with their generosity. It has been a remarkable experience and I highly recommend it.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Palau Belitung, Indonesia
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 20:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
We travelled though Indonesia two years ago, used Helen of Ambon, very good service. Did not need a bond and were never asked for one. Make sure your Indonesian visa is up to date at All times,
Regards,
Beau
Can you please provide Helen's contact in Ambon?

Thanks
Matt Saleh
Matt Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:20   #10

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Indonautica is the group to take care of all your needs including CAIT. Our cost was 200us and they handled everything including putting together an itinerary for us after we told them our planned route. We checked in at Pontianac in Kalimantan which is not an official entry port although we went to the Indonesian embassy in Ottawa to obtain our 90 day visa in advance of our trip. However you need to have your CAIT first if you want to get a visa at an embassy. When we checked in the immigration authourities had no clue and we had to provide copies of the regulations for them. After a couple of quick phone calls to Jakarts to confirm the rules we had the best time cruising down to the Java Sea from Kalimantan, up the Sumatra coast and eventually checked out south of Singapore.

You can buy fuel from the local villages if you talk to the head man but be careful not to take the fuel from the bottom of the barrel(s). A Baha filter for filling and lots of Racor's are necessary as there is lots of carbon deposits in the fuel. We changed our filters every week as well as dumping the sediment out of the bowls after every engine use.

The Indonesian people have to be the friendliest that we have ever met with every single person you pass on the street saying hello with the usual "Hi Mister". You throat is hoarse by the end of a walk through town answering everyone!! We definitely plan to go back for a more extensive cruise in the future.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 17:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Indonautica is the group to take care of all your needs including CAIT. Our cost was 200us and they handled everything including putting together an itinerary for us after we told them our planned route. We checked in at Pontianac in Kalimantan which is not an official entry port although we went to the Indonesian embassy in Ottawa to obtain our 90 day visa in advance of our trip. However you need to have your CAIT first if you want to get a visa at an embassy. When we checked in the immigration authourities had no clue and we had to provide copies of the regulations for them. After a couple of quick phone calls to Jakarts to confirm the rules we had the best time cruising down to the Java Sea from Kalimantan, up the Sumatra coast and eventually checked out south of Singapore.

You can buy fuel from the local villages if you talk to the head man but be careful not to take the fuel from the bottom of the barrel(s). A Baha filter for filling and lots of Racor's are necessary as there is lots of carbon deposits in the fuel. We changed our filters every week as well as dumping the sediment out of the bowls after every engine use.

The Indonesian people have to be the friendliest that we have ever met with every single person you pass on the street saying hello with the usual "Hi Mister". You throat is hoarse by the end of a walk through town answering everyone!! We definitely plan to go back for a more extensive cruise in the future.
Any idea whether INDONAUTICAL is still in business, because the "Contacts" page from their website "cannot be found-Error 404"?
Do you have an email adress from them?

Thank you
Cheers
Matt Saleh
Matt Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 03:57   #12

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Re: CAIT for Indonesia - rallys from Philippines

Since 3 years now, boats participating to the rally that each August/September departs from the Holiday Oceanview Marina on Samal island, Davao, Philippines have their fees waived (you only pay for the visa obtainable in Davao City). The 3-4 weeks rally covers a different part of Indonesia each year and after that you cruise on your own.
You can check on Welcome to Holiday Oceanview Marina for current info.

You get welcomed warmly with free events, activities and even free fuel ...
A great way to discover Indonesia !
Old 16-02-2014, 15:50   #13

Boat: Norman Cross 46
Re: CAIT for Indonesia - rallys from Philippines

Here is the rally itinerary and dates for 2014
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Indonesia - Sangihe Festival 2014 from Philippines.pdf (176.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 16-02-2014, 15:59   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The best contact is Raymond Lesmana. He runs the sail Indonesia rallies, and is a very helpful guy. He will be up to date on the latest rule changes and costs, and has the ear of the politicians. He has got more than one non rally yacht out of trouble with the authorities. He is happy to give advice regardless of whether you want to join a rally or not. His email is raymondlesmana@ymail.com and he usually answers within a day. Tell him Matt from Island Time says hello!
Old 16-02-2014, 16:05   #15

I would not go to Indonesia without a visa, I met a person who flew into Meurake expecting to get a visa on arrival and he was jailed for two years by the Indonesians.
I was never asked for a bond , ever, A cait may be necessary.

Tags
Indonesia