Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 19:56   #1

Boatyards in Raiatea, French Polynesia

Can someone give me some opinions on the two choices (the only two I know of) of boatyards on Raiatea...the Chantier Naval yard and le Carenage? I'd like to know things like shelter, cleanliness, professionalism, access to supplies, etc. Especially if you left the boat in storage at one of these places for typhoon season.

La Carenage seems a lot less expensive...so why??

Are there ANY other options for safe out-of-the-water storage in the Societies?

Thanks a lot!
Drew
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 03:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I personally cannot vouch for this opinion, but FWIW:

Excerpted from “Continuing on Panama to where we are now”
Posted at 1:44 PM, 12/6/2008 by Jenksie
at:
http://www.blognow.com.au/behindthenews/friends/

<quote>
"... If you need a boat yard in French Polynesia go to CNI Carenage at Raiatea, they are good people, and the yard works well. Don’t go next door to Raiatea Carenage; don’t let the Moorings Affiliated sign fool you. This yard has done more damage to boats than they have fixed. Don’t take my word for it check it out on Noonsite website, others will tell you the same.

American friends of ours went there on the first arrival they were asked if they wanted shore power because they were in the dock getting repairs. Most if not all American boats are 110 volts 60 Hz, they have a special type plug that is marked 110v. The Mr. Fix it man in the yard changes the plug and plugs them into 220volts. It blew the battery charger up on board the yacht and the yard did not take responsibility for it. Many of the boats leave the yard with additional problems and have to get someone else to fix them after paying out the yard.

CNI Carenage has a resident electrician a very good one; although he is self employed he will not go into the other yard and work. Pascal is the electricians name, you will get a decent days work for your money. Pascal is an Italian born Frenchman, who has a wicked sense of humor and will become your friend very easily. He has a little wooden BBQ near his yacht and Sunday around 1200 hours he lights it up, anyone can join him, just bring your seat, meat, drink and any other food you like to take along and it is a good afternoon. We did many of them whilst we were there some Sundays there was six of us other Sunday’s there could be twenty five. We all would take more than we needed and we would all share. We missed those BBQ’s when we left and our mate Pascal. The yard ahs a good mechanic, a Frenchman named Terry, his beautiful wife Amandine works in the CNI office, I think she runs the place. Jack (French) is one part owner, nice bloke Jack, Ariel is the other owner, and he can be moody at times but quite harmless.

The boys in the yard are great, be nice to them, if they have been very helpful, buy a carton of beer and tell them you will do so and take it cold to the workshop at 1530 hours Friday and have a beer with them. They will look after you very well once you have done this. I was given a large plank and two stands and a 44 gallon drum when I was working on the hard doing the anti-foul. Once I bought a beer the next day I had stands and planks all around the boat and when I went to move something they would be there to help. They said we were family now. You can make life easier for yourself by being nice.

No port fees other than the postage stamps, bond required if no air tickets, bond is equal to air ticket cost.
<End Quote>

See also:
Noonsite: Raiatea

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 07:46   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
see notes on Raiatea in Changes in Latitudes

I wandered around both facilities about 12 years ago, and they were a little funky, but probably OK to leave your boat, as long as you have insurance.

Anyone who lets someone change the plug on their 110V boat so that they can connect into 220V isn't supervising the workers well enough. I always check the dock 'electricians' work with a voltmeter before I connect things up, but most of the time they just have the polarity reversed. Wait till they get to Thailand, where they use 220V with US 110V style plugs....
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 01:31   #4

This page and the blog posts that precede it helped me make up my mind to use the CNI yard. Now I just gotta get there!

Towards The Horizon! - The Team - Blognow

Drew
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Boatyards in Raiatea, French Polynesia

Super old thread.

Just was trying find website for CNI, they used to have one. There is also a small yard on Tahiti Iti that I have been to don't recall the name. Thinking of hauling out from oct 2017 till June 2018. Any recent info on rates appreciated.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boatyards in Raiatea, French Polynesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Super old thread.

Just was trying find website for CNI ....
Chantier Naval des Îles (CNI) ➥ CHANTIER NAVAL DES ILES SOUS LE VENT | RAIATEA MARINE

Rates ➥ http://cnislv.com/en/tarifs/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia, boatyards