Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2023, 12:16   #1

Best Port for Repairs and Outfitting in Western Mexico?

I’m currently in San Jose del Cabo, and Im trying to pick a destination to head to on the pacific coast of Mexico or in the Sea of Cortez that will be best equipped with boat yards and marine services to get some work done. Looking to get some new sails, find a fabricator for dinghy davits, find some competent diesel mechanics, replace a stove, etc.

Wondering if the best place to get that sort of work done would be La Paz, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, or somewhere else?
sean- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:46   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Best Port for Repairs and Outfitting in Western Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean- View Post
I’m currently in San Jose del Cabo, and Im trying to pick a destination to head to on the pacific coast of Mexico or in the Sea of Cortez that will be best equipped with boat yards and marine services to get some work done. Looking to get some new sails, find a fabricator for dinghy davits, find some competent diesel mechanics, replace a stove, etc.

Wondering if the best place to get that sort of work done would be La Paz, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, or somewhere else?
We had lots of work done in Mazatlan. Excellent diesel work by Rafa (Rafa’s Boat Services: 669-994-8012 rafasboatservices@yahoo.com). Good bottom work by Rick (Marine Services Mazatlan: Rick Ph. 669-154-2892); ok window work by Rick, and good welding by Rick.

We learned in Mexico: Whatever you choose: don't assume all work done is "completed"... check everything. (Of course, we've found this too with marine services here at home. Sadly. )

See attached "Mazatlan Cruisers' Guide" mazatlan-cruisers-guide.pdf
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 13:29   #3

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
We had lots of work done in Mazatlan. Excellent diesel work by Rafa (Rafa’s Boat Services: 669-994-8012 rafasboatservices@yahoo.com). Good bottom work by Rick (Marine Services Mazatlan: Rick Ph. 669-154-2892); ok window work by Rick, and good welding by Rick.

We learned in Mexico: Whatever you choose: don't assume all work done is "completed"... check everything. (Of course, we've found this too with marine services here at home. Sadly. )

See attached "Mazatlan Cruisers' Guide" Attachment 271132
So have you tried San Carlos for instance work yard to compare the two places I’m curious myself as both look good. In the area thanks
Old 04-02-2023, 13:38   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
So have you tried San Carlos for instance work yard to compare the two places I’m curious myself as both look good. In the area thanks
No, we have only had work done in La Paz and Mazatlan. (Have not been up to San Carlos.)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 14:35   #5

Guaymas is very affordable yard where you can do anything. It's primitive dirt yard but there's nothing you can't do there. Some good independent contractors around , and the yard does decent work.

I am a fabricator and diesel mechanic with lots of references. I'm currently looking for work if you are interested.
Currently we are just south of Puerto Vallarta with no real plans and would travel for the right project. I've got the equipment to build davits in stainless and aluminum

Send me a private message if you are interested
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 14:37   #6

This place was recommended recently by a friend who’s boat we brought down from San Diego. It’s on my maybe list

https://marinasancarlos.com/workyard/
Old 04-02-2023, 14:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander53 View Post
Guaymas is very affordable yard where you can do anything. It's primitive dirt yard but there's nothing you can't do there. Some good independent contractors around , and the yard does decent work.

I am a fabricator and diesel mechanic with lots of references. I'm currently looking for work if you are interested.
Currently we are just south of Puerto Vallarta with no real plans and would travel for the right project. I've got the equipment to build davits in stainless and aluminum

Send me a private message if you are interested

Does any of the places have cheaper consumables mentioned or one better for parts than the other in your opinion. Thanks
Old 04-02-2023, 16:00   #8

Further north than you may want, but I just finished a major refit in Ensenada. Started with Niza Marine which was a complete disaster - incompetent and ripoff. Fortunately, I met Guillermo at La Costa Boatworks. It took a while but they corrected all mistakes by Niza and then some. Rates were very reasonable, and with San Diego just 80 miles away, parts are accessible. Very happy with Lacosta's work

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230204_093629~2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	271138
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 17:38   #9

Guaymas is definitely the cheapest, and least regulated yard I have come across. There are a few marine supply stores in the area , but don't expect much and the prices are not great. The town of guaymas is not huge but has a decent commercial fishing fleet so some marina type items are around. It 4 hours to the border and it's easy to get stuff shipped to locals who bring items down weekly for a small fee. For specialized marine stuff probably faster/cheaper to import from USA

316 stainless or aluminum tube is better purchased in Arizona and brought down.

San Carlos yards are more expensive with more rules , but are a little nicer.
Old 04-02-2023, 17:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
Does any of the places have cheaper consumables mentioned or one better for parts than the other in your opinion. Thanks

My advice for refitting a boat in Mexico, is to be as close to the USA border as possible. A lot of times it's going to be easier/faster/cheaper to import stuff yourself.

When I was in guaymas last I was having items shipped to Arizona and brought down weekly . Usually $5-10 per package
It was always cheaper to buy stuff online from Amazon/ defender

I hear good things about the puerto penasco yard also. Very close to the border .
Old 04-02-2023, 18:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander53 View Post
My advice for refitting a boat in Mexico, is to be as close to the USA border as possible. A lot of times it's going to be easier/faster/cheaper to import stuff yourself.

When I was in guaymas last I was having items shipped to Arizona and brought down weekly . Usually $5-10 per package
It was always cheaper to buy stuff online from Amazon/ defender
Good advice. I'm in Ensenada, a town of 500k people 80-miles south of San Diego. Off the cuff, here's a list of stuff I can remember that I couldn't find in Ensenada (or even anything close).
  • Simple Green
  • Sika 795 for bedding ports
  • 316 Stainless anything (fasteners, bar-stock, etc).
  • Anything remotely resembling quality cabinet hardware
  • 1-1/2" Sani-Flex hose
  • Stainless lift handles and hinges
  • Momentary button-switch for horn
  • Circuit breakers
  • Muffin fan to cool an electronics cabinet
  • Impellor for outboard
  • Cutless bearing

Point being is you won't remember everything. Really sucks to have nice deck hardware to install but can only find Silicone sealant from a hardware store to bed it.
Old 04-02-2023, 20:31   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was in Ensenada last week and I found peanut butter, which I was unable to find at San Jose del Cabo. I stayed at Baja Naval, and they have an active shipyard.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 10:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I was in Ensenada last week and I found peanut butter, which I was unable to find at San Jose del Cabo. I stayed at Baja Naval, and they have an active shipyard.
What was your experience at Baja Naval? Are they fair on the prices and honor their estimates? How much DIY work do they allow in the yard? My husband and I are seriously considering using them for refitting our steel ketch, and are trying to do more research before making our decision.
Battaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 02:31   #14

Baja Naval has a decent reputation for quality work. The complaints I've heard are price related, the the pricing too closely resembles So Cal pricing.

I sat at their docks for 3 months and was unable to get quotes from them for an extensive refit that included full topsides paint, electrical rewire, new hardtop, and more. So I went elsewhere - I eventually had the work done by La Costa Boatworks which is nearby. The facilities are rustic but DIY is permitted (DIY not allowed at Baja Naval). Laydays are a bit high at $1/ft/day USD. I found Guillermo at La Costa to be straight up and honest. Quality of work was decent except I was unable to find a decent electrician.

The only other option I know of in Ensenada is Niza Marine. STAY AWAY. These guys are awful. Frankly, the only workers who they can hire were either fired from Baja Naval or La Costa; or have never worked in the marine industry to begin with which means they'll use common drywall screws instead of stainless fasteners, have no idea how to properly bed fittings, and so much more. They do not have a yard so expect laydays at the DIY yard where La Costa is.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me. I am writing from Ensenada and have been here for a couple years. Nice town. Killer ceviche if youre into that.

Tags
Mexico, repair, repairs