Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2023, 14:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Baja Ensenada ExPat Assistance

If anybody needs help getting a boat down to Baja Naval - I can help. I have been living down here for the last 12 years and have done the route many times. The work they do down there is highly professional and about a third of the price of the US.

I am willing to even take the boat down - get the work done and bring it back to your slip in San Diego...

Give me a shout f you need help !

British - licensed Captain and ex-forces...
Smoothontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 08:04   #2

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer
Re: Baja Ensenada ExPat Assistance

Hi there, I’m getting a slip in San Diego next month (july 2023) and have heard positive reviews about Baja Naval. I’m needing new standing rigging for my Lancer 44 motorsailer. What is your opinion of them for rigging work? May also take you up on the offer of helping me get to Baja Naval when I’m ready. Feel free to reach out to me directly. Thanks!
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 14:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hi there !

I haven't had any rigging work done there but I would imagine it is of a high standard - as is everything else they do down there. (If anyone has had any bad experience please let me know)

Unfortunately, I am in the UK at the moment and not sure when I am back.

I do have a contact who can help you if necessary. He is also a first grade mechanic as well as a competent skipper. Goes by the name of "Spike"

Regards

Andy
Smoothontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 14:30   #4

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
Hi there, I’m getting a slip in San Diego next month (july 2023) and have heard positive reviews about Baja Naval. I’m needing new standing rigging for my Lancer 44 motorsailer. What is your opinion of them for rigging work? May also take you up on the offer of helping me get to Baja Naval when I’m ready. Feel free to reach out to me directly. Thanks!
No. Just no. They are great at painting stuff. Bottoms, topsides even, etc. But anything which requires thinking, engineering, planning, forget it. Not to mention, if you don't bring everything you need for the rig with you - and I mean everything - a 1 week project will turn into a 1 month project.

My own experience with something non-paint related was only one example - I have talked with numerous other people who had similar experiences at Baja Naval.

But, I would not hesitate to go there for bottom painting, fiberglass work, etc. Definitely. I had my bottom done there last year and I was very impressed, especially with how they dealt with blisters - very thorough, high quality workmanship.

PS. The best rigger in SD is RigWorks. Real pros. Not cheap, but you won't sail away wondering if the rig will stay up.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 10:55   #5

How much DIY work do they allow in their yard? Is it typical/do they allow the boats in their yard to stay hauled for several months at a time, or do they like to push people out ASAP? My husband and I are considering a refit of our steel ketch at Baja Naval- we would have most everything we needed with us for the refit, and would prefer to do the majority of the work ourselves.
Battaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja