Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 16:59   #1

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Average discount for sold boats in SE Asia?

I've tried to find out through searching the site to see if anyone has posted info on the expected discount for buying say a catamaran in Malasyia or Thailand vs. N. America. As these areas are considered somewhat "end of the road" locations with sellers not waiting to sail homeward, what can be expected as a discount to generate a sale? Any rule of thumb? I'm sure it's all anectodal anyway.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 17:56   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Average discount for sold boats in SE Asia?

Discount from what? If you are wondering how much to offer on a given boat, well, forget about it! There is just too much individuality in how folks price their boats for any sort of consistent rule to apply.

Boat sales are far more emotionally driven than most other merchandise, and there is no base from huge numbers of similar items (like in the used car market), so I fear that you will have to do your own evaluation of the individual boat and offer what you are willing to pay for it.

We get this sort of question quite often here on CF. If you want to see what has been advised in the past, do a google search of the forum. You will get enough reading material to last a few evenings!

Jim
Old 11-10-2020, 23:30   #3

You can certainly find quitters in SE Asia. There are a ton of good reasons to liveaboard in the area as well. Research the best ways to close a deal. Fees and taxes can be a nightmare. A lot of the deals are available through word of mouth and local YC / marina listings. ie; https://www.pgyc.org/sail-boats-for-...p#cruisingsail
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:21   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
I've tried to find out through searching the site to see if anyone has posted info on the expected discount for buying say a catamaran in Malasyia or Thailand vs. N. America. As these areas are considered somewhat "end of the road" locations with sellers not waiting to sail homeward, what can be expected as a discount to generate a sale? Any rule of thumb? I'm sure it's all anectodal anyway.
We do a lot of sailing in Thailand and i wouldnt consider it as the "end of the road". IMHO Thailand is a great starting point to sail all around the area to the west (Indian Ocean, Maledives, Seychelles, east coast of Africa), to the south (Australia, NZ, Indonesia) and to the east (Phillipines, Palau, Indonesia, or even the south pacific area...)

With Marinas on Langkawi, Phuket, Krabi or Pattaya as home base, lots of great spots to reach within days. And some of the best diving grounds in the world...

In the past years, when i compared asking prices in Thailand, i found them well above comparable catamarans in the caribean or the med. However, still well below asking prices in the USA. Thats just from comparing prices on YW on similar cats. However, that was pre COVID, and lots of cats there now for sale on a significant price reduction. Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Phillipines are still closed for most of potential boat buyers...

I would think that average discount might be the same in SE Asia as everywhere else when buying a boat. Check out Mr. Whiley Sharpes list of sold boats world wide. In this very comprehensive list of sold cats, there was an average of about 10% discount in 2019. Some of them well over that (tired cats from years of charter abuse), some even sold for a bit over asking price (baby´d owners versions).

Best wishes...

John

Tags
Asia, boat, SOLD