Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 17:22   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E ketch
Australia East Coast - experience with marinas/shipyards for rigging replacement

We (sy Giggles, 42ft Hallberg Rassy Ketch) will be along the Australian East Coast (between Bundaberg and Sydney) for the period November-April 2014. The rigging needs to be replaced and extensive modifications on the davids as well as engine (Volvo Penta) overhaul. I also need to store the yacht for 3 months (either wet or dry). Any advice/experience with marinas/shipyards along this coast?
benkooiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 17:42   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Re: Australia East Coast - experience with marinas/shipyards for rigging replacement

Have a look at RiverGate Brisbane.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 02:15   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E ketch
Re: Australia East Coast - experience with marinas/shipyards for rigging replacement

Thanks Bill, I looked it up and checked the rates, however, I am looking for a berth, not to buy the place
benkooiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 03:19   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Guys,
Unfortunately the closer you come to Sydney the more expensive its going to get to put your boat in a slip and get repairs done. To give you an idea to place our 38 footer CC at one of the local marina's would cost as $880 per month. Three months or more you get a cheaper rate. I am a avid fan of a free boating magazine here in NSW called "Afloat" which is highly regarded amongst the sailing fraternity and advertises many marinas which may suite your needs. The magazine and advertisers are online as well. I have also heard very good reviews for Cammeray Marina near Sydney. Yamba and Ballina Marinas may be worth considering as well.
Hope this is of some assistance

Greg H
Southerly Miss
Lake Macquarie
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:20   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I'm not sure about rigging, etc, but we left Tenaya (Hallberg-Rassy 40) on a mooring for a good price in Careel Bay in Pittwater, just north of Sydney, for 3 months. We had some work done (good work at reasonable --- for Australia anyway - prices) but saw other boats having extensive work done, including installing a new engine.
I will say the people there are great, and kept to every promise and did try to keep our costs down. Probably worth at least asking: Careel Bay Marina » About Us

I worked a lot with Darby and would recommend him to give you honest answers.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 16:21   #6

Boat: Hunter 36

Bundaberg Port Marina

I berth here permanently & can highly recommend the local services.

Also it is very well used by owners from Yeppoon south as well as international arrivals wanting to store their boat while they return home.
Dapa1066 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, rigging