Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 20:24   #1

A Year on the Hook in Southern California

I am looking for feedback from those with first hand experience.
We are looking to spend a year (Sep 2012- Sep 2013) between Santa Barbara and San Diego. We're on a tight budget so we'd need to anchor as much as possible.

As a Canadian boat I understand we can spend 3 months at the A-9 anchorage in San Diego (we are thinking about doing the A-9 from Dec to Feb).

A couple of questions:

1. Are there any anchorages to safely anchor during fall and spring? If so can you give some names?

2. After anchoring in San Diego for 3 months, can we leave San Diego for a few months, and then go back for another 3 months?

Thanks,

Mike
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:27   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: A year on the hook in S. California

Visitor's Dock and Anchorage | Port of San Diego A9 is 90 days in any 12 month period. Is there any reason you don't want to go to Mexico? You can have some pretty nice anchorages there. See this thread post #3 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ast-49734.html latitude 38 also had a letter on where to anchor to make it thru the winter in Southern California but I can't find it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 22:05   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

How fixed a location do you want to have? If you're willing to move around it is pretty easy. I spent October to March one winter doing exactly what you are discussing. Spent about 50-60% of that time on the hook in the Channel Islands. As the weather gets worse your choices in anchorages are reduced, but there are lots of cool places you can stay for a week or two at a time. No services at most of them, so depends on what you need.

You an also make the Long Beach - Catalina - Newport loop. Newport allows you 5 days a month in the free anchorage, then, if you want to pay $15/night (winter months) you can pick up a mooring for another 10 days. The Long Beach/Los Angeles harbor anchorages seem to be more at the discretion of the harbor patrol people, I never had a problem with 10 days up under Point Fermin, but don't know if it could be pushed further. Then I'd finish up my month out at Catalina, and start all over again.

If you want to be settled it is more difficult, but if you are willing to move once every week or two it's pretty easy.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 10:52   #4

Thanks for the replys.

Charlie: We can't go down to Mexico because of my work. We hope to go down the following fall. We were hoping to do the 90 days in SD, leave for 3-4 months and come back but I guess they keep a good record??

Dsanduril: We are fine moving every week or two. Thanks for your input.
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57   #5
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Re: A Year on the Hook in Southern California

Catalina Harbor in Catalina Island Isthmus (Two Harbors) offers the most outstanding anchoring at no charge if you anchor.
Best spot to anchor in Calif's Santa Ana Wind conditions.

Pump out available, and carts avail to help with the walk to the short distance to the grocery or water.
We top off our water with a 5 gal container filled at the gas dock @ 25 cents US for 10 gallons.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:54   #6
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Re: A Year on the Hook in Southern California

Also:
Two Harbors Catalina Island - Boating, Camping, Banning House Lodge

Thanksgiving, the Reef Restaurant in Two Harbors throws a terrific dinner.
Perhaps not for you if on a budget,, but others traveling boater couples get to know one another while at anchor, and sometimes split the cost of a Table.

It really is a fantastic way to spend American Thanksgiving,, and most often the weather is outstanding too.
They serve an entire Turkey with all the sides at each table.

An amazing experience and great way to spend the American Holiday.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california