Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 06:20   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Some of you might want to make this passage someday. Or you might be interested in reading/seeing what a 25 day passage is like. Here is the episode on our blog, svcapri.com

here's the link:

https://svcapri.com/2020/07/21/25-da...to-washington/

hope you enjoy it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 07:36   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

good story

I especially like the "rubber ducky" references given that my boat name is - rubber ducky

BTW - I am now feeling better about taking the Spectra feed pump and valves off/out of that metal bracket and mounting it all separately that can be all gotten to.
Old 22-07-2020, 08:55   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
good story

I especially like the "rubber ducky" references given that my boat name is - rubber ducky

BTW - I am now feeling better about taking the Spectra feed pump and valves off/out of that metal bracket and mounting it all separately that can be all gotten to.
yeah, when I finally get this to work properly, I will also be throwing that damned bracket away. As I wrote, I hope the designer is sentenced to an eternity in purgatory assembling and disassembling this - preferably while at sea in 3-4 meter high waves

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 22-07-2020, 10:11   #4

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Welcome to Washington, Carsten. Thanks for the account of your passage.

If you need any local knowledge, feel free to drop me a PM.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:45   #5

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

A well-told story, with excellent writing - thanks
Old 24-07-2020, 15:20   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry about all the trials and tribulations, Carsten and Vinni. At least there were no breakages.

I'm really interested if you'll have to quarantine in Washington after 24 days at sea, and how Customs and Immigration will handle your presence. [We have felt embarrassed, in the past, by the reception foreigners are given in the USA.]

Wishing you a pleasant stay in my sorely stressed nation of origin.

Fair winds,

Ann
Old 24-07-2020, 15:33   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry about all the trials and tribulations, Carsten and Vinni. At least there were no breakages.

I'm really interested if you'll have to quarantine in Washington after 24 days at sea, and how Customs and Immigration will handle your presence. [We have felt embarrassed, in the past, by the reception foreigners are given in the USA.]

Wishing you a pleasant stay in my sorely stressed nation of origin.

Fair winds,

Ann
HI ann,

we had no issues with either CBP or immigration. No quarantine. We were sailing from Hawaii (one US State to another US state) so our cruising license and B-2 visa were still good. Now what happens in December when our cruising license expires is a whole different story. I expect we will have to apply for a visa extension (not a problem per se, but costs $375 and is a lot of paperwork.)

The cruising license is an entirely different kettle of fish - in theory it can be extended - in practice - it can rarely be done unless you happen to meet up with a very nice CBP officer who is willing to do this.

we'll just have to wait and see. I Canada should happen to open up before then, we can run over there for a couple of weeks and then come back - but there is no sign of that happening

Old 25-07-2020, 17:39   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
HI ann,

we had no issues with either CBP or immigration. No quarantine. We were sailing from Hawaii (one US State to another US state) so our cruising license and B-2 visa were still good. Now what happens in December when our cruising license expires is a whole different story. I expect we will have to apply for a visa extension (not a problem per se, but costs $375 and is a lot of paperwork.)

Yes. I forgot you were already in the US in HI. Silly of me. Sorry.
There are rumors going around that visas are not being processed.
However, too soon to worry about it. A lot may change after November.

The cruising license is an entirely different kettle of fish - in theory it can be extended - in practice - it can rarely be done unless you happen to meet up with a very nice CBP officer who is willing to do this.

Ask around, as you meet cruisers. Keep an eye out for a Bristol Channel Cutter called "Shaula", with Dan and Alice aboard. Very good people, long time Seattle residents. I think they're cruising in the San Juan de Fuca Sts. right now, not being able to go further north. But they have, in years passed, so may know a 'very nice' CBP officer.

we'll just have to wait and see. I Canada should happen to open up before then, we can run over there for a couple of weeks and then come back - but there is no sign of that happening
Yes, I read they anticipate closure through December.

Good luck with it. If it works out for you, hiring a car and travelling the Cascade Hwy is a beautiful drive. August is time for wild blackberry collecting, at the lower elevations, and you may find salmonberries, as well. You could do a loop, out to eastern WA, then south to Grand Coulee Dam, then along the Columbia river, but stay on the north side to avoid Portland, and back up into WA. One time, our family went camping in the Olympic Rainforest, fun place to see, so different from much of the forest in the PNW.

We were becalmed for a day or so on the HI to CA trip one time, went swimming, tried a little chumming, but were ignored. It's really different when the ocean is glassy, and you can't really see the horizon.

Ann
Old 26-07-2020, 06:00   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, I read they anticipate closure through December.

Good luck with it. If it works out for you, hiring a car and travelling the Cascade Hwy is a beautiful drive. August is time for wild blackberry collecting, at the lower elevations, and you may find salmonberries, as well. You could do a loop, out to eastern WA, then south to Grand Coulee Dam, then along the Columbia river, but stay on the north side to avoid Portland, and back up into WA. One time, our family went camping in the Olympic Rainforest, fun place to see, so different from much of the forest in the PNW.

We were becalmed for a day or so on the HI to CA trip one time, went swimming, tried a little chumming, but were ignored. It's really different when the ocean is glassy, and you can't really see the horizon.

Ann
believe it or not - since we will be stuck here at least until spring - we've bought an old used motorhome ( I know - gone ashore, become - dare I say it - a landlubber!) but only for the winter - we'll drive around the western US and be motorhome hippies, then sell the darn thing in the springtime

Old 03-08-2020, 09:27   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome to the PNW!

As a transplant I can confirm that very few who weren't born here want to spend a winter season here. We've spent the last six living aboard and between the dark and the gales and the rain, its' difficult (although if I remember correctly you're from Denmark so perhaps the dark part is fine with you).

We're buying a travel trailer also, just to get the heck out of here when we need to. Seems like the best of both worlds. Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2020, 13:18   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Welcome to the PNW!

As a transplant I can confirm that very few who weren't born here want to spend a winter season here. We've spent the last six living aboard and between the dark and the gales and the rain, its' difficult (although if I remember correctly you're from Denmark so perhaps the dark part is fine with you).

We're buying a travel trailer also, just to get the heck out of here when we need to. Seems like the best of both worlds. Enjoy!
well we ca do without the dark. we'll be sailing Puget and the San Juans until october - we have a winter slip in port angeles

Old 05-08-2020, 17:30   #12

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII

Thank you, CarstenB! My wife and I enjoyed the personal account and the vlog! We just bought our first boat and you show us the possibilities are limitless! Sailing is a true labor of love...
JCCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 19:17   #13

Boat: Beneteau 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
well we ca do without the dark. we'll be sailing Puget and the San Juans until october - we have a winter slip in port angeles

Thank you both for posting excellent videos and commentary. A real warning for neophytes like me. Your water maker quit (nice job btw, worthy of a superman costume), possibly running out of fuel, bilge pump, packing gland. Oh, and making pizza under way. Impressive.
Anyway, if you come down to San Francisco, I'm buying you some Negra Modelos. Don't hesitate to PM me.
Andreas
oslokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:41   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
good story

well you can try to guess who is taking their valves/pump out of the metal bracket now

Old 06-08-2020, 06:42   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Welcome to Washington, Carsten. Thanks for the account of your passage.

If you need any local knowledge, feel free to drop me a PM.

Steve
thank you steve,

so far we're doing good - but I'll let you know if we get stumped about anything

Tags
hawaii, washing, Washington