Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 19:01   #1

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
2009 Galapagos Marquesas etc

Hi there
Currently cruising the pacific side of Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua with my wife and two sons (age 1 and 4). We will be back in Panama City at the end of January 2009 to stock up for the Galapagos leg. We wish to hook up with other cruise boats especially those with kids who are on a similar schedule. We plan on being in Galapagos by mid Feb 2009, then leave for Marquesas early March, arrive Marquesas late March, then Tuomotus after that etc.....
I am not sure were to post this, please let me know if there are other forums, thanks
Fishy
surf, spearfish, snorkel, barbeque, sleep, coffee, surf, fish, explore, beers, barbeque, sleep, coffee....(sailing/boating is a means to an end!)
ps also plenty of FIXING
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 23:40   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Provision for your full 12 months (or more) in Panama. Cos there ain't nuttin' in the Pacific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 23:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
See that you mention spear fishing. Do not eat any reef fish in the Marquesas. Ciguatera poisoning is really bad there. The locals aren't really a good source of what fish are save to eat. One very experienced local fisherman came down with it while we were there. He'd told us the fish was good to eat. Fortunately, we didn't and were okay. They got sicker than a dog. Speaking of dogs, their animals appeared to be way more miserable than the people. Had another friend who got ciquatera twice while in the Marquesas.

Pelagic fish, even when caught close to shore, are okay. Lobser was also great.

If there is anyway to get an extended visa before you leave, do it We had a six month visa so didn't have to rush on to Papeete to clear in. The Marquesas were great and we burned up most of the six months hanging out there.

Papeete has everything you'll need to provision your boat. You may not like the prices, though. Fuel and food are available in the Marquesas but even more expensive than Papeete. Wouldn't count on anything, including water, being available in the Tuamotus.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 00:52   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Papeete has everything you'll need to provision your boat. You may not like the prices, though. Fuel and food are available in the Marquesas but even more expensive
We paid $1.06 per GALLON in Galapagos when the oil prices were high.

Whatever you can drag into the Pacific will be much much much cheaper than bought once you are there.

I couldn't find one stainless steel split pin in Galapagos, Marquesas or Tonga or take your stuff from home or Panama.

Old 29-12-2008, 04:57   #5

Thanks for the info. I am on RSA passport so will get French visa in P City (i think for 3 months?). My wife and kids have dutch EU passports so they should be OK. I also have an american crew, not sure if he needs a visa? Where do you pay bond, in Marquesas? Not sure how the whole bond thing works. I am a fairly experienced spearo...I am very selective, shooting only pelagics off the drop offs. We will do a huge shop in P City, we are still trying to figure out how to make fesh veggies and fruit last past 10 days...any tips would be appreciated. Anything I simply MUST BUY in P city? Someone said I should fill my boat with beer and coffee?!? Also about the Galapagos: Is it at all possible to cruise around there, I would like to anchor off a few surf spots on San Cristobal...or is that wishful thinking? Also does anyone know where the waves are in the Marquesas? What is the daily average wind strength and direction on the Galapagos - Marq leg, how far from Galapagos before the trades kick in?
Old 29-12-2008, 13:10   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Q Where do you pay bond, in Marquesas?
A Go to the Police Station they will send you to the bank. Its a high fee of about US$1,400 per person.

Q we are still trying to figure out how to make fesh veggies and fruit last past 10 days...
A Can them. i.e. you can't so take canned food. (Lots of people have lots of ideas: wrap them in paper, don't wrap them etc etc. None seem to work for us. Take canned so you don't starve

Q Anything I simply MUST BUY in P city?
A Clothes. $2 dresses and $2 shirts / shorts etc. Wonderful!

Q I should fill my boat with beer and coffee?!?
A 2 litres of great Chillean wine $2

Q Also about the Galapagos: Is it at all possible to cruise around there, I would like to anchor off a few surf spots on San Cristobal...or is that wishful thinking?
A Very wishful.

Q average wind strength and direction on the Galapagos - Marq leg, how far from Galapagos before the trades kick in?
A Get yourself the Pilot Charts for the Pacific. Shows the currents too

Old 29-12-2008, 14:54   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Take as much fuel as possible. There isn't much wind between Panama and the Galapagos.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 18:41   #8

Boat: ex-WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Continuing Mark's list of A's to your Q's:

The main network of yachties you would benefit by plugging into is the Pacific Puddle Jumper Yahoo group - you'll find them (us) at pacificpuddlejump : PuddleJump Much Q&A about bond, duty free fuel, visas etc. Participants include those like Mark who just made the run.

Your American crew will need to get a visa, as will you, for a 90 day stay. France's Embassy in PC issues them (3 days) but they have short hours and require a list of things when applying (special size pic, financial statement, etc.). Get the details before catching the cab - see PPJ messages.

Several options for doing the bond: airline return ticket to your home country, transfer amount (quoted in CFPs) from your bank to FP bank, or have an agent (Pacific Yacht Services comes highly rec'd) place a bond on your behalf for a 7000 CFP fee (easy to arrange; contact pys@mail.pf)

There is a Yachtsman's Guide to French Polynesia offered, in French and also English, that offers lots of hype but the basic info we all need, as well. Look for it to be uploaded soon to the PPJ 'Files' section (took a long time to track down).

Re: the expensive food, fellow who just emailed me mentioned their first baquette when arriving Mangareva in the Gambiers was $2.75 USD and one egg = $1 USD. And that's not a particularly small island...

Jack

Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 23:03   #9

Reprovisioning in Pago Pago?

Once upon a time a lot of cruisers planned to reprovision in Pago Pago. Is this no longer the case?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 04:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A couple of informative websites:

Cruising the Coconut Milk Run:
www.svfelicity.com/articles/milkrun.doc

The Coconut Milk Run:
The Coconut Milk Run

and the book
“Landfalls of Paradise” by Earl Hinz
Landfalls of Paradise: Cruising ... - Google Book Search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 15:16   #11

Thanks everyone, lots of good info!
Old 30-12-2008, 16:38   #12
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I love the information one can find at this forum
Old 26-01-2009, 21:05   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Hey fisherman!
Please keep us posted as I'll be about 6 months behind you!
Luckily my fathers French (although I currently hold a UK and a RSA passport) so I intend to apply for a french passport when I get there.
Vegetable tip:- Buy jars that are designed to be re-used (the seals will go on shop brought ones after 1 or 2 uses) pre-cook your favourite meals (preferably in a pressure cooker as its higher temp.) and seal when hot. Will last 6 months min.
Good luck!

Tags
Galapagos, marquesas