Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 01:17   #1

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
ZipGet and the 'Weather Gap' here...

Unless I've missed it, I don't find a topical area on this (otherwise excellent) discussion board about weather. As a result, I posted what follows under the Cruising subsection on the Med & Europe...but since that may not be where someone heads when wanting to find information on weather forecast sources, I'll stick it in this general area, as well.
- - - - - -
For those who harbor plans of a cruise in Europe, you might want to read up a bit on ZipGet. This is a tool developed by a British cruising sailor that provides ‘one stop shopping’ for obtaining weather forecast products in any area of the Med or Northern Europe. It is inexpensive (£20/year subscription fee) and can be used by both lightly equipped boats – provided they have a cell phone and a way to send/receive email with it – as well as those boats using HF email who can receive attachments with their email (e.g. Winlink works well with ZipGet).

In Europe, it is very common for boats to have cell phone coverage when making departure decisions or even while underway. ZipGet’s author, Chris Hart, sailing the Beneteau 36 ZOSTERA, carries no SSB radio but wanted multi-day forecasts with isobar charts, wind projections, wave projections, and at least one multi-day text forecast for their Atlantic and Med cruising…and so that’s what anyone using ZipGet can now receive as well. One sends in an email with Lat and Long coordinates in the Subject line, waits a moment, and then pulls down those 4- and 5-day forecast products. Also appealing is that one can use a ‘get’ command in the body of the email to request any text URL info available on the internet, which will be compressed and included in the one group file that is sent.

For more information on ZipGet, visit www.zipget.com. I’ve written up a longer discussion on ZipGet at www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/Comm%20Tools.htm, John Stevenson’s helpful website, which includes download time estimates, file sizes and sample f’cast product collections for different regions of Europe. Chris provides the opportunity to sample the service for free for those interested in doing so.

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote