Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 07:12   #16

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

I bought a used rebuild yanmar on eBay for $5,000 in Los Angeles had it shipped to me for a $300 to galena Maryland. installed it by myself using a crane and come along s. I was replacing a Perkins so I had to get a few extra parts to make it compatible with my transmission. Doing the exhaust was the big engineering challenge. The engine was a 4JH te. The engine ran great but when I got to marathon I had the injectors tested and had to replace three.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:28   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I rebuilt my 3gm30f, myself for $1200 (Parts, machineing) and cheap blonde labor. now with over 700 hours on it since my summer of discontent back in 2013.

Paying someone else to rebuild an engine is not economically viable as you can buy a new engine for the cost of a "professional" rebuild.

Generally $10-$12K for a new engine and another 10K to install.

Mind you a diesel with 4500 hours could easily go another 6k hours or more if treated well.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:43   #18

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I rebuilt my 3gm30f, myself for $1200 (Parts, machineing) and cheap blonde labor. now with over 700 hours on it since my summer of discontent back in 2013.
Actually, it's one of the best threads in this forum.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-107705.html

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:22   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
Not with 1,000 HP you can't.

Yeah when you said 12 Grand, I knew you were hot rodding your pick-up.
I did that to some extent with my C-3500 Duramax. Be careful, cause there is no end to the money you can sink into that, with ever diminishing returns and life expectancy.
Make it strong enough and of course they whole truck needs modifying, starting with the tranny of course. I stopped when I reached the limit of the Allison transmission, meaning I could put it into limp mode.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 14:02   #20

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yeah when you said 12 Grand, I knew you were hot rodding your pick-up.
I did that to some extent with my C-3500 Duramax. Be careful, cause there is no end to the money you can sink into that, with ever diminishing returns and life expectancy.
Make it strong enough and of course they whole truck needs modifying, starting with the tranny of course. I stopped when I reached the limit of the Allison transmission, meaning I could put it into limp mode.
I've been playing with diesel pickups for 25 years or so, and have had a few that were really impressive under load. Never really hot rodded them, but a good six tire burnout is still kinda fun. This particular project is for a hot rod of a different breed.....Something along these lines, but a much smaller hull.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:14   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never expected a Diesel airboat. I guess though that the RPM lends itself well to a prop.
Old 10-06-2018, 15:18   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

6 sec Duramax, and look, no smoke
https://youtu.be/H4vl7H_y5jM
Old 10-06-2018, 15:33   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

All the questions everybody's asked are important even to narrow down on an even ballpark estimate, but I'll throw a budgetary number out there, 10,000.00, with 2000 on either side, and knowing nothing at all about what engine you have. That's at marina labor rates, with good honest labor and no surprises, either in the condition of the core or ancillary mechanical systems, or idiosyncratic removal/install conditions. That should probably cover 'consumables' like hoses, belts, mounts, drive plate, etc., as well as standard 'rebuild' parts like bearings and rings or cylinder kits.

If you're using it as a bargaining chip, say 15000.00.

Unless you have more faith in human nature than I, this is really not a job to be left unsupervised...

4000 hrs is not particularly high for a non-turbo engine and if it was treated right, is not necessarily so for a turboed one (even a Yanmar). If it runs really well this is one instance in which an oil analysis might be useful without a historical backing...if there is an analysis history so much the better.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:31   #24

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Never expected a Diesel airboat. I guess though that the RPM lends itself well to a prop.
Yes, but the weight has me concerned. I have the parts to build a bigger hull, but the one I have nearly ready to go only has a 6' bottom and is just 18' long. Might be pushing it, but I have a big block backup plan.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:51   #25

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Mack Boring rebuilt my Yanmar 3HM35F in 2010. The bill was $6131.10 tax included. The base charge was $4651.87 and the remainder was for unexpected parts replacements primarily a cooling water pump, chamber liners, and damper plate. The base work included cylinder kits, rod bearings, main bearings, pistons and rings, belts and hoses, gaskets and seals, fuel filter, thermostat, reconditioning of the cylinder head, block, crankshaft, rocker assembly, fuel injector pump, injectors, heat exchanger cleaning, and painting.

I delivered the engine to their shop in Union, NJ and picked it up when the work was finished.

I am not sure they are still in the engine rebuilding business.

4000 hours is not high for a well maintained engine. I'd have a engine survey made before committing to a rebuild. Why unnecessarily waste your time and money? Go sailing instead.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:26   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
4900 hours. And my plan is to buy a boat, as I am currently boatless, and take her to the Caribbean in November. So I want all the "controlable" issues addressed before my departure. And an engine with 4900 hours, even if it runs beautifully, is one.
4900 hours is really not high. Aside from hours, why do you think it needs to be rebuilt?

You could save a lot of cash by determing by testing what is actually needed...and address specific issues for peace of mind.

Bound to be owners of that model are similar here on CF who can tell you specific common issues for that model of engine.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:32   #27

Boat: Tartan 3700

It is 4900 hours and the plan is to sail to the Caribbean and leaving the boat there for a few years. As such, I want to address all the potential areas that might become problems now. Clearly new sails, etc are easy to deal with there. But an engine rebuild may be much more difficult, and I don't want to take that risk. One area I'll explore is just replacing the engine with a new one.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:38   #28

Why not pull an oil sample and send it in for analysis, monitor oil pressure accurately from cold through hot running WFO and do compression and injectors check. If the main engine block rings and bearings show good then an "overhaul" becomes more of a re/re operation of worn parts like a bad injection or water pump while the engine stays in the boat. Oh, you left out the transmission... $$$
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

I don't see 4900 hrs as that much, I expect to get double that. I've seen quite a few yanmars with 10,000+.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:41   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yanmar Rebuild Cost?

I think he is just coming up with a number for planning purposes.
Id suspect that the motor is fine and that faced with replacing an engine that may not need it, he wont.
However I assume he is planning so that in case he has to, that he wont over pay for the boat.

Tags
rebuild, yanmar