Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 04:53   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Yanmar fuel filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
Anyone know of an alternative supplier of yanmar fuel filters for a 4jh3 engine? Have looked at all the large filter manufacturers for cross refrencing but they dont seem to have a generic filter.
What is the number on your filter?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I use a Car Quest 86390 fuel filter on my 4JH2E . The Car Quest is a 2 micron filter and I pre-filter with a Racor. I have cross referenced the carquest to Baldwin BF940, Wix 33390, Napa 3390, Purolator F 50262 but have not actually confirmed that they are same.
edit: Yanmar filter is listed as part# 129470-55702
Unfortunately you were giving some incorrect information on this. The CQ 86390 is a Wix 33390 filter. Wix made all the CarQuest filters up until Jan of 2015 and they still make the NAPA filters..

The nominal rating of the 86390/33390 filter is 10 micron which makes the absolute rating approx 25 micron at 98-99%.. Baldwin makes a 4 micron nominal 15 micron absolute called the BF940 and Donaldson makes a 5 micron nominal 17 absolute P550127. Best to double check those cross numbers as they came from some notes I have. FWIW the Universal Diesel/Kubota factor filters are 25 micron absolute as confirmed with Joe J. at Westerbeke Corp...

There is quite a lot of variability in the micron ratings of "equivalent" filters.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I guess I don't understand all the fuss about numbers. A filter sits in line with the flow of fuel. That means that an adequate sized fuel hose (1/4" in my case with a Yanmar 3GM30F) can couple to any size filter, of any size micron filtration. The only filter that is physically attached to my engine is the 2 micron, just in front of the fuel pump. Mine is located in a hard to reach spot, so I used a different approach. Using a Fram filter 20 micron, the fuel next passes through a large capacity 2 micron, then on to the itty-bitty 2 micron on the engine. I placed a tee in the downstream side and connected 1/4" vacuum hose to my Racor Fuel Vacuum gauge, which is located in my instrument panel cluster. That way, I know when, not if, the fuel filter is getting packed up. By the way, the 20 micron is paired with a second 20 micron that acts as the backup. When the fuel vacuum gets above 5 (well into the yellow zone), the vacuum switch, on the back of the vacuum gauge, sets off a relay to a red light and a buzzer above the fuel gauge, telling me in no uncertain terms that I need to switch from the one 20 micron to the other before daring to enter that narrow channel in front of me. The vacuum gauge immediately drops, the alarm turns off, and I know that fuel will not be an issue in the near term.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:07   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I guess I don't understand all the fuss about numbers. A filter sits in line with the flow of fuel. That means that an adequate sized fuel hose (1/4" in my case with a Yanmar 3GM30F) can couple to any size filter, of any size micron filtration. The only filter that is physically attached to my engine is the 2 micron, just in front of the fuel pump. Mine is located in a hard to reach spot, so I used a different approach. Using a Fram filter 20 micron, the fuel next passes through a large capacity 2 micron, then on to the itty-bitty 2 micron on the engine. I placed a tee in the downstream side and connected 1/4" vacuum hose to my Racor Fuel Vacuum gauge, which is located in my instrument panel cluster. That way, I know when, not if, the fuel filter is getting packed up. By the way, the 20 micron is paired with a second 20 micron that acts as the backup. When the fuel vacuum gets above 5 (well into the yellow zone), the vacuum switch, on the back of the vacuum gauge, sets off a relay to a red light and a buzzer above the fuel gauge, telling me in no uncertain terms that I need to switch from the one 20 micron to the other before daring to enter that narrow channel in front of me. The vacuum gauge immediately drops, the alarm turns off, and I know that fuel will not be an issue in the near term.
This is not a 2 micron filter despite everyone assuming it is........
Old 10-02-2015, 08:10   #20

Okay, so I'm confused. The Yanmar filter on the engine claims to be 2 micron. So, placing a Fram 2 micron (which they are claiming) in front of the smaller one, should filter out any particles greater than 2 microns, if changed on a basis of need (i.e., fuel vacuum). Am I missing something here?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:19   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Okay, so I'm confused. The Yanmar filter on the engine claims to be 2 micron. So, placing a Fram 2 micron (which they are claiming) in front of the smaller one, should filter out any particles greater than 2 microns, if changed on a basis of need (i.e., fuel vacuum). Am I missing something here?
Can you show us that claim from Yanmar? Yanmar specs these at 10~15µM (it's right in the service manual) and Mack Booring has confirmed these are the nominal ratings which makes the absolute a bit higher and probably similar to Kubota.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:35   #22

So, what are you saying? Maine Sail, I am not criticizing you, I'm just not following you. Is a fuel pump damaged by low vacuum pressure? No. Does placing a bank of filters designed to remove gross particulates AND, ADDITIONALLY fine particulates reduce the fuel vacuum? Only if they begin to get clogged by gross or fine particulates. If we can read a vacuum gauge, we can understand that a filter is clogging when the vacuum rises. If it does, AND we switch to a backup gross filter bank, AND IF the vacuum returns to a low level, we know that the gross filter bank was getting clogged up. If the fine filter is also clogged, then the vacuum level will remain high, but the likelihood of fine particulates is less likely to go to the fine filter element located in an awkward place.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So, what are you saying? Maine Sail, I am not criticizing you, I'm just not following you. Is a fuel pump damaged by low vacuum pressure? No. Does placing a bank of filters designed to remove gross particulates AND, ADDITIONALLY fine particulates reduce the fuel vacuum? Only if they begin to get clogged by gross or fine particulates. If we can read a vacuum gauge, we can understand that a filter is clogging when the vacuum rises. If it does, AND we switch to a backup gross filter bank, AND IF the vacuum returns to a low level, we know that the gross filter bank was getting clogged up. If the fine filter is also clogged, then the vacuum level will remain high, but the likelihood of fine particulates is less likely to go to the fine filter element located in an awkward place.
My only point is that these filters are not 2 micron as gets repeated over and over. Why do I care? Because two years ago a customer came to me after searching the net for "days" in frustration that he could not find any Yanmar Equivalent fuel filters out there because none had the same 2 micron rating. He had read on the net that the Yanmar on-engine filter was 2 micron... I sent him the specs from the manual and all of a sudden he had 20 options open up for considerably less than the expensive factory filters.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:47   #24

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Unfortunately you were giving some incorrect information on this. The CQ 86390 is a Wix 33390 filter. Wix made all the CarQuest filters up until Jan of 2015 and they still make the NAPA filters..

The nominal rating of the 86390/33390 filter is 10 micron which makes the absolute rating approx 25 micron at 98-99%.. Baldwin makes a 4 micron nominal 15 micron absolute called the BF940 and Donaldson makes a 5 micron nominal 17 absolute P550127. Best to double check those cross numbers as they came from some notes I have. FWIW the Universal Diesel/Kubota factor filters are 25 micron absolute as confirmed with Joe J. at Westerbeke Corp...

There is quite a lot of variability in the micron ratings of "equivalent" filters.

I knew that Wix made the Napa and CQ filters - didn't know that CQ had changed manufacturers. CQ does indeed list the 86390 as 10 micron - the 2 micron reference came from my note book. I looked it up when I first got the boat and it was fitted with a CQ filter but I'm not sure where I got it from. This made me look a little further and.....

It appears that, with a few exceptions, the JH series of engines now all use Yanmar part #
129470-55703 (129470-55700, 55701, 55702, 55702-12 all now reference back to 55703) Now I'm not sure about the others but according to my manual, the 129470-55700 originally used on the 4JH2 was a five micron filter.

I think I'll switch to the Baldwin and leave the Racor with a 10 micron element. I don't suppose anyone know the micron rating for the 129470-55703

edit: fixed the part#s that I fat fingered.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 13:02   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I knew that Wix made the Napa and CQ filters - didn't know that CQ had changed manufacturers. CQ does indeed list the 86390 as 10 micron - the 2 micron reference came from my note book. I looked it up when I first got the boat and it was fitted with a CQ filter but I'm not sure where I got it from. This made me look a little further and.....

It appears that, with a few exceptions, the JH series of engines now all use Yanmar part #
129470-55703 (129470-55700, 55701, 55702, 55702-12 all now reference back to 55703) Now I'm not sure about the others but according to my manual, the 129470-55700 originally used on the 4JH2 was a five micron filter.

I think I'll switch to the Baldwin and leave the Racor with a 10 micron element. I don't suppose anyone know the micron rating for the 129470-55703

edit: fixed the part#s that I fat fingered.

And here lies the confusion. In earlier manuals the specs were for the filter media, as most every filter company does.. In later manuals they call out max diameter of unfiltered particle..... Nominal? Absolute? What test method?

Sometimes it is just easier to use the factory filters......

FWIW I have never had any issues with Wix, Baldwin or Donaldson filters. The only filters I have seen problems with have been Fram PH (orange can) filters. I have come across at least 4-5 where the anti-drain back valve on oil filters has failed to prevent drain back. When I called Fram they were not at all surprised and suggested the customer bump up to their TG series which uses a better anti-drain back valve.
Old 10-02-2015, 14:33   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Sometimes it is just easier to use the factory filters......
- good posting for the "I know a cheap sailor" thread
Old 10-02-2015, 16:26   #27

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
...............I knew that Wix made the Napa and CQ filters - ................
WIX also makes WIX filters and that simplifies things quite a bit. I can cross reference all my Volvo filters to WIX and buy them at my local auto parts store. They stock them. I have to buy my Racor filters on-line.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00   #28

Boat: Allied 39

Hi Roy

I was told by the Yanmar rep when I installed my engine that the Yanmar engine filter is a 10 micron not 2. In fact he told me my 2 micron Racor would void my warranty so I ended up trading all my 2 micron filters for 10's. Not an easy thing to do in Mexico.

Hope all is well with you

Chuck
Jacaranda

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30   #29

Hi Chuck! Good to hear from you, it's been a very long time since I saw JACARANDA in San Diego Bay. This whole thing about filters is too confusing for me. My engine is way past the warranty, and I have not suffered from excellent fuel filtration. Having the vacuum gauge on the downstream side of the filters tells me all I need to know about the health of the fuel pump and the quality of the diesel reaching it. But, being a forum, there will always be someone to question every possible nuance and tweak. My motivation was born of necessity. My fine filter at the pump is almost hard up against my centerboard case, making access a real nightmare. So, the obvious solution seemed to be to move the filter element to a more accessible place. The emerging story of the 10 micron fine filter isn't even an issue any more since I use a two stage Racor (20 micron and 2 micron each). The 20 micron is actually one of a pair, joined (separated?) by a selector valve, should I pick up some dirty fuel. My fuel tank is easily inspected and cleaned via the two cleanout ports, 6" X 8" each, so a buildup of crud is highly unlikely. I have a terror of bad fuel. It comes from taking YANMAR ENDEAVOR across the Pacific in 1989. That was the first twin diesel outboard (mounted on a purpose-built composite trimaran designed by Morelli and Melvyn - no mast or rig, at all) to ever make such a passage. We had picked up our fuel in San Francisco, a couple of weeks after the big earthquake. The owner of the boat didn't think we would have any fuel issues, though I was dubious. Consequently, when the engines conked out, a couple hours after passing under the Golden Gate, I wan't amused to find he had purchased just three spare SMALL filter elements. I was washing fuel filters by hand for over 2000 miles. That distinctive run-up of RPM from a clogged fuel filter is a sound that still gives me a jolt. I am continually amazed by how many boaters take their fuel quality for granted. I don't, so I go completely over the edge. On my instrument panel, above the Racor fuel vacuum gauge, are two different lights, and accompanying buzzers, to tell me if the vacuum has exceeded 5 inches of mercury, or if there is water in the filter bowl. I can quickly switch over to a clean gross filter before the engine stops. I've seen too many filter cans filled with brown mud....

Are you ever coming back to San Diego? I'm preparing to leave, but I'll be doing circular passages (SD to Hilo to Anacortes to SD) rather than Central America. And, if finances permit, I'll add a side loop to French Polynesia for a three month visa stint.
Old 11-02-2015, 13:18   #30

Boat: Allied 39

I am the same anal type about fuel. Never a drop goes on without a pre filtering, additive, etc. Also have a water trap with alarm and the vacuum gauge as well. Wish I kept the two cases of 2 microns instead of swapping them out for 10's. But so far since putting the new engine in only changed the Racor maybe once! No vacuum.

whenever I see a post by you I think about hanging in La Playa with your tri end tied at SWYC.

We are headed to Galapagos in March - April then to FP. No plans to return.

All the best

Chuck
www.jacarandajourney.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, yanmar