Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 19:41   #1

Yacht Registration and Insurance in Europe

Hi

I recently bought a yacht in Europe and I am wondering if I can get some recommendations regarding flag registration and insurance. My situation is that I have an Australian as well as Belgian passport. The boat is registered in the EU. I have to change the current registration flag to a country that accepts registration for people that are not permanently living in Europe (my main residence is in Australia). The Polish registration seems good. Anybody has any experience with registering their yacht under the Polish flag?

Secondly, it seems many insurers insuring a yacht in EU waters require an address in Europe before they can insure you. I can provide that for them, but they also want to have the flag registration done against that same address in Europe. This is not totally impossible but it means that any (physical) paperwork will be sent to that European address, with that person having to send it on to my Australian address etc. This is not ideal.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer that can work with the fact that the boat is EU registered but the person predominantly lives in a non EU country?

Any general recommendations about flag registration and insurers are welcome as well of course.

Thanks

Hugo
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 20:44   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Yacht Registration and Insurance in Europe

Unfortunately, Australia has almost as many lawyers per capita (0.3%) as the USA (0.45%), and the insurers know that.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 22:18   #3

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

I recently bought a yacht in Europe and I am wondering if I can get some recommendations regarding flag registration and insurance. My situation is that I have an Australian as well as Belgian passport. The boat is registered in the EU. I have to change the current registration flag to a country that accepts registration for people that are not permanently living in Europe (my main residence is in Australia). The Polish registration seems good. Anybody has any experience with registering their yacht under the Polish flag?

Secondly, it seems many insurers insuring a yacht in EU waters require an address in Europe before they can insure you. I can provide that for them, but they also want to have the flag registration done against that same address in Europe. This is not totally impossible but it means that any (physical) paperwork will be sent to that European address, with that person having to send it on to my Australian address etc. This is not ideal.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer that can work with the fact that the boat is EU registered but the person predominantly lives in a non EU country?

Any general recommendations about flag registration and insurers are welcome as well of course.

Thanks

Hugo

Hello Hugo B,

polish registration is cheap, but you have to fill the forms in Polish language. Australian registration is a bit more expensive (1500 bucks) but possible. I am going to do that when I buy my boat in December (I have Australian and German passports but tax residency in Oz). The only thing I have not figured out is the need to do an additional state registration (fees and possible stamp money?).
You may be better off to look at Belgian registration if you have the Belgian licenses that may be required (neither Australian boat license nor radio licenses will be accepted in Europe).You should also have a look at Dutch registration.

However, if you have issues with VAT in Europe (boat not VAT paid), an address in Europe may not be helpful, because it could be a sign of tax residency. So better have your Australian address written in the contract.

In terms of insurance, there may be many otions in Belgium, Netherlands or Germany. You should connect f.e. Preuss (Germany) or Pantaenius (Germany, but they also have an office in Australia). Both of them are happy to insure you with an Australian address. Contracts and cost are pretty much the same.

Regards,

-Richard (VK4WRS)
Old 06-06-2021, 01:44   #4

following
GreenHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post
Hi

Thanks

Hugo
The Harbor Master's Office explained that it is possible to register a vessel only when the foreigner(you) - the owner of the vessel authorizes a resident to receive mail, meaning a natural person, a lawyer, friend, broker for example.rent condo in Belgium, address is here, after this rent post box or find company like this in Belgium https://www.mailboxde.com/faq.html
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:33   #6

Hi I had similar problems. Used yacht registration Holland. Insurance used Panterrus in Switzerland. Maybe they can help.
Regards
Marshall
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:54   #7

Hugo,

May I suppose that you are a dutch speaking Belgian who learned french at school? In that case the next links will give you realistic information.

https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/sailing/assurance-voilier-sous-pavillon-polonais (on this site you'll find many useful links)

and

https://mobilit.belgium.be/nl/scheepvaart/pleziervaart_0/vaartuig/registratiebrief

I'm Belgian with a Belgian registered boat living already 5 years on my boat on both sides of the Atlantic. I've an inssurance with Pantaenius and everything is done by email/www. They are used to sailors with a paper adress.

(It could be usefull to know the actual flag and the part(s) of the world where you'll like to sail
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 13:29   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

We know a couple originally from Belgium who left Europe 6 years ago and are now in New Zealand. Belgium de-registered their boat as they are considered non-resident there. They’re now preparing to register with Australia as one of them has an Australian passport.

I have heard that if you’re resident in Australia then your boat’s registration must be Australian. https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...-fishing-boats

Also, Australia does not require boats to be registered nationally if not taking the boat overseas. Registration with the state of residence is required.

Regarding insurance, we have UK registration and are resident in New Zealand. Velos Insurance Services Ltd, which is underwritten by a variety of Lloyd’s Syndicates, have been happy to insure us.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 18:00   #9

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The Velos insurance looks good, you can tell a few things even from the questions in the online quote. I have applied, see what happens, especially with all the confusion about what the contact address is (Australia) and where the boat is registered (Europe).

Thanks

Hugo
Old 07-06-2021, 00:56   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I have used Registration in Jersey Chanel Islands for 15 x years - " British Small Ships Register " I am resident in South Africa . It cost GBP 35.00 p.a. - no V A T payment required . I have used Yachtmaster Insurance - they seem to be competitive and are affiliated to Lloyds . If you are interested contact me , I can steer you in the right direction .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
I have used Registration in Jersey Chanel Islands for 15 x years - " British Small Ships Register " I am resident in South Africa . It cost GBP 35.00 p.a. - no V A T payment required . I have used Yachtmaster Insurance - they seem to be competitive and are affiliated to Lloyds . If you are interested contact me , I can steer you in the right direction .

The Small Ships Register (https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/smallshipreg) is only for UK residents (if you register via Jersey then Jersey residents only). Did you provide a fake residence address?

Full registration is required if you are not a UK (Jersey) resident and provides 10 years registration before renewal (https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/fullregistration). This is what we have for our boat.
Old 07-06-2021, 16:54   #12

I am an Australian resident and registered a boat that I bought in Holland in 2014. After trying to register in Holland I was advised to register the boat in Australia which I did and found it very easy. We have to carry the Australian flag which is no problem.
Bruce Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 18:18   #13

Hi Bruce

Yes but then of course you cannot keep the yacht more than 18 months at the time in Europe without paying VAT. For me this was the whole idea: I want to sail in Europe in retirement and not be forced to leave and re-enter EU countries with a yacht for which VAT has not been paid. I always assumed if you (re) register a boat in an non-EU country like Australia, that the VAT payment (in my case already made) will become null and void.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:07   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

Registration in Jersey -
1. Is very definitely registration on the " British Small Ships Register " .
2. You do require a Jersey Principal (So a company/ business registered in Jersey)
3.I certainly did not provide a false U K address .
4. Jersey is outside of the U K tax domain so no VAT ( If you are U K resident ,I believe you cannot register in Jersey on this basis )
5. I have been registered in Jersey for 15 years - VAT not paid , my yacht has been in the Mediterranean for the entire period .

It might be better to check your facts ,before making incorrect statements .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 13:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
Registration in Jersey -

1. Is very definitely registration on the " British Small Ships Register " .

2. You do require a Jersey Principal (So a company/ business registered in Jersey)

3.I certainly did not provide a false U K address .

4. Jersey is outside of the U K tax domain so no VAT ( If you are U K resident ,I believe you cannot register in Jersey on this basis )

5. I have been registered in Jersey for 15 years - VAT not paid , my yacht has been in the Mediterranean for the entire period .

It might be better to check your facts ,before making incorrect statements .

Not trying to make incorrect statements, just providing clarification for others. Your situation doesn’t seem to fit the requirements for SSR registration in Jersey, unless your boat is owned not by you (as you have said you’re not resident there) but by a company that is resident in Jersey. That is an important clarification for anyone else who is thinking of registering with Jersey.

https://www.ports.je/shipsregistry/

The Small Ships Register (SSR) offered by Jersey is ONLY for Jersey residents. You are not legally allowed to use the SSR if the owner is not a resident of Jersey.

If you are not a resident of Jersey then you can register on the British Register of Ships in Jersey. There are some citizenship qualifications for the owner and you must use a Jersey-resident company or individual as an agent.

Tags
Europe, insurance, registration, rope, yacht