Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 06:02   #16

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Roger, what do you know about other clubs further north?

I a few years, the admiral and I plan to buy a boat in NZ (Auckland, perhaps or Napier) and live aboard a few months a year (the summer, natch) to be near the children and grandchildren. Then we'd come back to Toronto for the summer.

Endless summer ... sounds like a book title.

NEway we are now in the information-gathering process.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 14:14   #17

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Hi Connemara,

Can't help you much as I have lived and played in the south and centre of NZ, and spent a lot of my life on windsurfers vs. yachts. Members of the forum from the north of NZ or island cruisers that have wintered in Opua or Whangarei could offer better advice. Dependent on interests and ambitions, you might also like to check out the Island Cruising Association (Yacht Cruising - Island Cruising Association).

But if you are interested in coming further south, the Pelorus, Waikawa and Mana clubs co-own a buoy network extending from Durville Island (in the west) to Mana Island (on the south east of the North Island). Chart of the Marlborough Sounds:

New Zealand Chart Catalogue - NZ 615

Given your interest in sailing in NZ, you may enjoy looking at charts of the prime cruising grounds around Opua, Auckland (north), the Marlborough Sounds (centre) and Fiordland (South). For high res TIFF images, click on the pictures of charts ...

Chart Images

Roger
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 14:23   #18

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
Hi Connemara,

Dependent on interests and ambitions, you might also like to check out the Island Cruising Association (Yacht Cruising - Island Cruising Association).
You could also try contacting ICA's northern Port Captains for some advice (see tab on top of the ICA site).
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 05:21   #19

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Roger, thanx for this. the NZ charts are a great resource. I wonder if they'll open in Ocean Navigator. Must download a couple and try.

The admiral is just back from the antipodes and during her visit dropped in on the Napier Sailing Club, which she reports to be very friendly indeed.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 19:24   #20

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hello Roger,
Does the Mana Cruising Club take part-time members? We will arrive in NZ next year and want to cruise much of the country. I have the Steward Island guide already and will buy a copy of the Fiordland guide soon. I assume these are the best 2 guides to the southern island?
Thanks
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29   #21

In my experience they vary so much that it is hard to generalize. I am a member of two: One owns no real estate, there is not real admission process and the dues are only $75 a year. It organizes popular weekday evening races and cruises throughout the summer. Virtually everyone in it is a committed sailor. The other one owns a lovely waterfront clubhouse and multiple tennis courts. It has a more involved admission process and dues. It serves meals and organizes social activities and some races. The percentage of sailors in it is relatively low but it has a lot of social activities and I have made a lot of friends through it. Both have their strengths.
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:08   #22

Of the few serious boaters I've met, few have actually been "cruisers." Those who were stated they'd not return to where they had traveled due to the violence and politics of the world including the pirate problem. But I've not circulated much in the club scene yet, so I'm not a good measure for your question.
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:14   #23

Yes, I've met a few "who have never left the dock." Sort of. Most say they've had boats in the past but parted with the boat due to various reasons such as age or finances. I belong to a little lake club that had a major split of members a few years before I joined over the issue of boat ownership. Its such a small group that one group wanted to allow anyone to join, boat owner or not, while the other group said they wanted a real boat owning membership. The result: two clubs, one very active, and the other mostly a dinner/drinking affair with a few events during the summer.
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote