Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 12:48   #1

Boat: Boatless
Yacht Broker Question

I am trying to put a offer in on a boat and the contract sent to me by the broker lists the seller as "Owner of Record". I don't want to enter into a sales contract with an "Owner of Record". I want to enter into a contract with an individual or corporate entity. I know who the owner is and additionally he is listed on the USCG web site as the vessel is documented. The broker knows that I know who the owner is. Why would he insist that the seller be listed as "Owner of Record" on the contract?

Am I missing something?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 14:44   #2

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
Re: Yacht Broker Question

To hide the owner's identity and prevent direct contact? Just guessing as I have no experience with this specific situation.
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:30   #3

Example:If i sold a boat for a friend and listed as the contact but the friend would be the owner of record.
uspatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 12:47   #4

Boat: Boatless

UPDATE: I got the broker to put in the seller's name on the contract, but we could not put the deal together. So the "Owner of Record" still owns his boat.

Cheers
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
UPDATE: I got the broker to put in the seller's name on the contract, but we could not put the deal together. So the "Owner of Record" still owns his boat.

Cheers

Thanks for the update.

Any chance you could share the contract? It might be helpful for those of us that don't use buyer's agents.

Thanks
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56   #6

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post

Cheers
Probably not the same problem you had but funny enough I had a boat purchase go south recently because of the (damn) broker. I actually met the owner and we got along just fine, agreed on everything and things were really easy going but alas there was a broker in the middle extending his hand demanding his share for pretty much zero work. The worst part was that he was demanding terms that were not acceptable to me or the seller and things got to the point where the deal went south and he lost on the sale and the seller just preferred not to risk getting sued by dealing directly with me etc, understandably so.

So this other "owner of record" is also still trying to sell his boat when there is a willing buyer in the market because of a useless broker. You can't make this stuff up I tell you.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht