Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 08:45   #16

Re: Would it be posible to ‘rent-out’ your berth when you are cruising yourself?

As stated, it depends on the marina policy. The dockominiums I've rented seasonally allow the owners to lease the slip for the season, but stipulate no transient rentals. Rental contracts I've had stipulate no sub-leasing. I've never heard of a marina splitting revenue, but anything is possible. I would consider that very rare.

I can't see a business allowing you to profit on their assets. I've never seen a marina that didn't watch and capture every dollar they could. If there it the possibility that additional revenue can be generated from their asset, I don't see them willingly giving it away. But again, anything is possible, I suppose.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Would it be posible to ‘rent-out’ your berth when you are cruising yourself?

Why would you ask a forum of folks, who don't know your marina and can't read your contract, instead of first reading your own contract or asking your marina? You are certainly not alone in this, but I have never understood why people seem to prefer internet speculation and second hand information to easily obtained facts!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Why would you ask a forum of folks, who don't know your marina and can't read your contract, instead of first reading your own contract or asking your marina? You are certainly not alone in this, but I have never understood why people seem to prefer internet speculation and second hand information to easily obtained facts!
Based on his original post, what made you think he had an existing slip rental contract?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:45   #19

Ascertaining an answer to this question is a two step process: 1) Read your moorage contract. The may be a sublet prohibiting clause in there. If so you have your answer. 2) If the contract is silent on the matter, then e-mail your marina office asking the question succinctly. Request an answer by return e-mail. Then print out the answer and keep it in your boat as CYA.

We can't possibly know what the terms of your moorage contract are.

Now MY contract sez that when I'm away from my slip, the marina may use it for casual visitors at the usual day rates of which I then get credited 50% towards next year's fees. Additionally, I have free visitor's moorage for two nights a week at three other associated marinas, provided two weeks elapse between the times I exercise that privilege at any one marina.

So talk to the people at your marina. They are prolly quite nice. But a contract is a contract!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:58   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Based on his original post, what made you think he had an existing slip rental contract?

It was clear that he might not, but he said something along the lines of "suppose I had a particular slip in a particular harbour...." so my suggestion was the same whether he did or didn't. If he doesn't have a slip, then look at the contract for the "particular slip", or talk to the folks at the "particular harbour". That's the only way he will get an answer, rather than uninformed speculation, would you not agree?

If he is just asking about any unspecified slip in any unspecified harbour, well, then there is no answer, which is part of my point.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:07   #21
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In all the marina I've been they can rent out the slip you are paying for and keep ALL of the money. And no you can't sub lease your slip out.
It's the same at my marina. And you may return, dead tired from the final leg, find a stranger in your slip, and have to anchor out till the harbor master relocates that boat.

A countermeasure is to leave a dingy - without oars or engine - tied up in your slip. So far, they've been too lazy to move the dingy.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 20:29   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
It's the same at my marina. And you may return, dead tired from the final leg, find a stranger in your slip, and have to anchor out till the harbor master relocates that boat.

A countermeasure is to leave a dingy - without oars or engine - tied up in your slip. So far, they've been too lazy to move the dingy.
I don't get the hostility to having your spot on the water used by others while you are away. You are off to some other location, might even be using a transient slip there. Instead of your slip being empty and essentially wasted, why not let someone cruising from some other area pay for the slip for the night and be able to visit your home grounds?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 20:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't get the hostility to having your spot on the water used by others while you are away. You are off to some other location, might even be using a transient slip there. Instead of your slip being empty and essentially wasted, why not let someone cruising from some other area pay for the slip for the night and be able to visit your home grounds?
think about it this way your landlord tengo g your apartment while your on a 2 week vacation without your consent or reparation
Now if the funds are like we have here and go to pay your slip rent that's different but you give specific dates for your return.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:15   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
think about it this way your landlord tengo g your apartment while your on a 2 week vacation without your consent or reparation
Now if the funds are like we have here and go to pay your slip rent that's different but you give specific dates for your return.
I guess you could look at it that way. Of course your apartment lease doesn't allow your place to be rented while you aren't in it like many berth agreements do, and sleeping in your bed is a little more personal than tieing up to the cleat on your dock.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
If you are returning and find a boat in your slip, that typically implies you told them you would be gone and then returned without notifying the marina.

Then again if just gone for a night or two, I would conveniently forget to tell them.

Worst case, if they did rent out my slip when I told them I would be back, I would just take another open one or tie up at the gas dock and we could sort it in the morning...when I feel like moving the boat...but never had an issue with it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Most marinas limit what you can leave around outside your boat. Usually the dock box is locked. The transient boat doesn't have access to any of your stuff (at least no more so than anyone else with access to the slips).

If they unlock my apartment, the new person has full access to all my stuff in private and unsupervised.

Now if for some bizarre reason, I packed up all my stuff and took it with me for a weekend getaway...it really wouldn't bother me if they rented out the apartment while I was gone....but that's false equivalency because no one does that.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:52   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Ever take a transient slip for the night? This is where many of them come from. How else would a marina with a waiting list handle transients?

I grant you, it is a little weird, but you may also benefit from the system.

Only once have I returned to find my slip occupied. I tied up near a travel lift, and the marina staff shuffled the boats after I was gone.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
It was clear that he might not, but he said something along the lines of "suppose I had a particular slip in a particular harbour...." so my suggestion was the same whether he did or didn't. If he doesn't have a slip, then look at the contract for the "particular slip", or talk to the folks at the "particular harbour". That's the only way he will get an answer, rather than uninformed speculation, would you not agree?

If he is just asking about any unspecified slip in any unspecified harbour, well, then there is no answer, which is part of my point.
I took his question to be an attempt to learn what general practice was in marinas. I didn’t see that as a crazy or illogical thing to to want to know.

In my particular area, we have the full range of variation on this topic among different marinas. When I was comparison shopping for a marina slip for my boat, I certainly wanted to be aware and knowledgable of general and accepted practices when reviewing the proposed terms of any marina I was interested in. Maybe, that’s just the lawyer in me.

And, I sure, for the life of me, can’t see why that would bother anyone else.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:15   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Ever take a transient slip for the night? This is where many of them come from. How else would a marina with a waiting list handle transients?

I grant you, it is a little weird, but you may also benefit from the system.

Only once have I returned to find my slip occupied. I tied up near a travel lift, and the marina staff shuffled the boats after I was gone.
in my region transients are a lot more common I do believe .
Most Marinas here actually have several designated transient slips.
Old 11-01-2019, 13:54   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I can see marinas wanting to control (or ban) any subletting in order to prevent enterprising folks from taking an annual contract and then subletting it as an "Air BnB" dock slip. And, once someone starts subletting the slip, that's now commercial use...which would be an insurance issue, especially since the marina will be expecting SOMEONE to present valid insurance for whatever boat is using the slip.

Simpler to read the marina's standard contract and if it doesn't suit you, ask then to change it. Don't be surprised if they say "no" to anything besides keeping the slip empty when you're not around.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising