Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 15:23   #1

Worst conditions for various passages/regions

I have read more than once that the navigation and forecasting technology available today should allow a person to sail around the world and not get caught in any significant storms. Taking that theory into account, I am curious as to what real world conditions you would experience during a circumnavigation. Assume proper weather windows and seasons are observed. Also, that you have a seaworthy boat and that you are not in a huge hurry to be anywhere at any specific time. What are the worst conditions one would expect to encounter on the following passages throughout the world?

-Clockwise around the Caribbean including Belize and Mexico and back up to Florida

-Pacific passage from Panama to Australia

-Atlantic passage from N. Caribbean to the Med

-Circumnavigation of the Med

-Atlantic passage from S. Africa to Caribbean

-Indian Ocean passage (North and/or South)

-Around the Horn of Africa (after patiently waiting for a window)

Just dreaming right now, but I have every intention of making at least a couple of those passages before I die. I'm going to order World Cruising Routes to get more educated, but some insight from this board would be great.

Thanks,

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 15:37   #2

Re: Worst conditions for various passages/regions

Well you have asked a question that is impossible to answer with any benefit to you. Many people have sailed around the world and never seen more than 30 knots of wind but every now and then our hi-tech weather forecast turns out to be wrong and some sailors get their asses kicked on what should have been a cake walk. Learn how to sail well and prepare a well found boat and do your homework knowing full well that forecasts can and do change when crossing oceans but if you do your job then the likely hood of you and your crew coming to grief is very small.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage