Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 05:41   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Women, what do you think about boats being referred to as female?

I've been curious about this for a long time, I suppose the same goes for cars, motorcycles etc.

(Men, please feel free to chime in if you have direct quotes from women.)

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:25   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Women, what do you think about boats being referred to as female?

Why? Do you think we get jealous? I did see a boat name the other day called, "Significant Other." Perhaps because I'm a biologist, I have always had a hard time giving cute names to wild animals and so have always felt especially awkward about assigning she/he to inanimate objects. I usually call my boat by its name (Kynntana or K) or just "it" and then only self-consciously will use "she." I think that's because I'm a nerd, though, and not because I'm a woman....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:41   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

According to my long term partner.
..."it is the only mistress she approves of".
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 19:38   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with older styles of boats you can see why they are female or feminine--curvy sweet lines and grace and headstrong, just like a good woman(learned this from the man who taught us sailing). ha ha ha ha ha
and they are the captains mistress.
these traits are not found in either modern women or in modern boats, which are formless straight lines and unappealing to the eye.(also spoken from a male sailing friend)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 20:22   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Too true Zee[emoji106]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 20:59   #6

Boat: Bavaria 51

Nothing and neutral as per my partner.

she doesn't even care about why most typhoon names are female =P
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 03:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Why? Do you think we get jealous? I did see a boat name the other day called, "Significant Other." Perhaps because I'm a biologist, I have always had a hard time giving cute names to wild animals and so have always felt especially awkward about assigning she/he to inanimate objects. I usually call my boat by its name (Kynntana or K) or just "it" and then only self-consciously will use "she." I think that's because I'm a nerd, though, and not because I'm a woman....

Curiosity I guess. I'm like you and rarely assign such pronouns as a matter of fact. But every now and then I feel the bond that happens with any animals adaptation to their environment (Wilson in castaway) and so more playful pronouns will come out. I sometimes even give me sails individual pronouns to help me think about how I want to balance them, and one is usually a "he" for the sake of a more colorful conversation And the more time I'm on the boat the more I think about such things... a lot of time to think on a multi week passage.
Old 25-06-2017, 03:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
with older styles of boats you can see why they are female or feminine--curvy sweet lines and grace and headstrong, just like a good woman(learned this from the man who taught us sailing). ha ha ha ha ha
and they are the captains mistress.
these traits are not found in either modern women or in modern boats, which are formless straight lines and unappealing to the eye.(also spoken from a male sailing friend)

I hadn't thought about that, but makes perfect sense... naturally
Old 25-06-2017, 03:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Men must speak endearingly of their vessels; to speak of them as 'he', then, would have sounded strange in past times, though it would probably be a lot more acceptable these days. Also, the attention lavished on a boat, and the shiny objects procured at great cost for her, are fitting of a man's proper devotion to a female.
Old 25-06-2017, 03:54   #10

Boat: Bavaria 51

Retour just has sensual curves, as does her Admiral
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 06:40   #11

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway
(Men, please feel free to chime in if you have direct quotes from women.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Men must speak endearingly of their vessels; to speak of them as 'he', then, would have sounded strange in past times
Would sound as queer today if a man did it, and it would make little sense. A sailboat plays a protective and nurturing role, just like a woman.

My girlfriend of six years have never had any issue with it, in fact, I've never met a woman that did. If they are around and take issue with the practice, then they are unicorns.

Truth is we men make a connection not just with boats but with cars and motorcyckles (even tools) in ways most women (the vast majority) never does and never fully understand why we men do, they just accept it as a male trait and sometimes find it a bit funny but don't think or make much about it. For my girlfriend the boat, in terms of connection, is a bit different, it is more of a home for her, in which she nests. For me she is more, she's a love affair, of sorts.

Edit.
This is why women can get jealous of either your car, motorcyckle or sailboat, why? Because she picks up on the connection you have and you speending time on either your car, motorcykle, or sailboat, is time you're not spending with HER, but could have spent with her instead. As such she can even see these objects as "competition" for not only your time but also for your affection, on one level. Because she wants YOUR attention and your TIME and your affection, you spending too much time on these objects can therefore cause problems.

Not much of an issue if you both are out crusing and your girlfriend or wife loves to sail, then you have an interest which she is a part of : )
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:07   #12

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Sailboats are the very embodiment of femininity.

She is always beautiful in my eyes, more and more so as time passes. A deep love and affection is felt for her. Tender care and lavish gifts are bestowed on her, even when we can ill afford it, because we want her to stay beautiful and be happy, and reward us with her love and loyalty in return. Moodiness and indifference can ensue if she is not shown the love and attention she needs and deserves.

She can be a lover and a mother at different times and in different ways, but never a father or a brother.

She is a woman.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:38   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I think this comes from history. In English much of the nautical terminology was borrowed from french. In French all words have genda, hence la port not le port. Ok my french is bad so I may have it the wrong way round. The point is that nobody thinks of a door as having male or female characturistics it is just the genda of the word. I definitely don't think of my boat as a woman even if I use the pronoun 'she'
PS yes I think that is the origin of the term 'port' meaning entry from French.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:43   #14

Boat: Whitby 42

This should make women feel good. .....I hope. By tradition, a boat is called a "She" because a "She" is to be respected.
macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:49   #15

Boat: Liberty 458

Since I think the feminist agenda is political, not personal, I see no reason to allow feminist angst to mess with a perfectly good pronoun for a boat. I am female, and I don't expect anyone to ask me what pronouns I want used for me, either.

Katherine Harms
S/V No Boundaries
qatharms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men