Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40   #16

Re: With Locked Gates, How Does One, "Walk the Docks"?

Good question.

I don't think you can go too far wrong following foolishsailor's advice

We did not walk the docks all that much before we bought our boat, we used the broker for the most part. When we did take a stroll on the docks it was at marinas that had the gates open. It seems to me that you are just asking for trouble going through locked gates.

One thing you should note, there may be a lot of boats out there on the docks, but there are normally not a lot of owners around. Unless it's a larger marina the liveaboards who have been there for any amount of time will usually know just about every boat owner, if not by name, at least by face. And, since theft from boats is a constant concern, do not be surprised if you get the evil eye while out for your stroll and possibly have the dock master sic'd on you. In that regard, the bigger marinas are probably better for you. All that said, looking nice and being polite will get you a lot, it probably won't get you recognized as a boater, but most people will talk to you and answer your questions.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50   #17

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
At our marina you just have to hang around for a few minutes, sit on a park bench, and wait until somebody shouts the latest combination to the lock. "Honey, what's the combo now, I forgot! 1234! Okay thanks!".
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30   #18

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht
Re: With locked gates, how does one, "Walk the docks"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Note to dock walkers.: Please ask permission to climb all over my boat, its my home and I might be down below.
Man I hope this would be common sense. Never ever board a boat without permission....Jeez...would you walk up to a nice car and just jump in? Or walk into someone's house?
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

May I arrive at your home uninvited and see what your backyard looks like? Maybe look in your windows to see what the interior looks like? An open door is an invite to enter your home, right?

Good grief, folks what is this? I want to therefore you must let me.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35   #20

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Man I hope this would be common sense. Never ever board a boat without permission....Jeez...would you walk up to a nice car and just jump in? Or walk into someone's house?
This has happened to me, several times. That.s why I.m a little testy about this.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I approach the person in authority with some legit I.D in hand. It indicates you are not a problem.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Ask the harbormaster, preferably, or less ethically sneak in when someone opens the gate.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44   #23

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Note to dock walkers.: Please ask permission to climb all over my boat, its my home and I might be down below.
Don't even touch the boat without the owner's permission.

I've had at least two unauthorized visitors this year that came aboard my boat in my absence, as evidenced by the railing gates which weren't closed upon their exit.

In recent months I had two different non-dockers walk up to the Coot and politely ask permission (which was granted) to see the inside of the boat. One had asked permission from a docker entering/exiting the dock gate, saying he was an acquaintance of mine (he was). Don't know how the second visitor got past the gate. He had seen the Coot returning to the marina while he was hang gliding above the Mare Island Strait. (My Coot has a very distinctive appearance, particularly from above, not being the ubiquitous "the white boat with blue canvas.")

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I am amazed at the number of suggestions to use subterfuge to get in.

It is my experiences that telling the truth gets you a lot further in most of life's situations. I frequently have needed to ask for access in different situations... tell whoever may be in authority why, and invariably, you get it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19   #25

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I might suggest subterfuge to get in to look, but to me its another thing entirely to actually touch somebody's boat. If we're going to use the house analogy, I can drive by and look at your house from the street, no problem, but I don't get to step on your property or try your doorknobs. Two completely different things, clear boundary in my mind. (i know, somebody's going to argue now that the dock fingers are in the private property zone...)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I always feel uneasy about being sneaky so asking permission to enter the locked gates is the only way I can do it. I've been a guest on several boats and going to and from the car or restroom to the boat is the way of life. Sometimes you don't have a key or combination and you just wait for the next person to go through and tell them you belong to "Coot" and they let you in.
I've had Japanese tourists board my boat on several occasions to snap photos. They do funny poses and it is entertaining but it really does p--- me off so I politely let them know. I've also had crews tie up outside me at the dock and cross my boat to the pier. It is only polite to ask permission.
kind regards,
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35   #27

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Well, as the OP, I must remind you that I was just asking about getting through a locked gate to walk the docks as so many have suggested and look at the boats from dockside . If I find an owner on board a boat of interest, I know how to ask if it would be possible to see the inside.

Thank you all for your answers. I think I have the general idea now.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I am amazed at the number of suggestions to use subterfuge to get in.

It is my experiences that telling the truth gets you a lot further in most of life's situations. I frequently have needed to ask for access in different situations... tell whoever may be in authority why, and invariably, you get it.
generally in europe where there are big tides most marinas have a dinghy dock used by people on moorings or at anchor,most marina offices close at 5pm making subterfuge nessacary till you get the code from the office.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46   #29

Boat: Tartan 30

If its so easy to just tell a lie to get in, doesn't it make you wonder why they even use locks?

PS: Over here on the East, South, and North Coasts of the US, maybe 2% of marina's have locks. I think I've seen about 2 or 3 of them in my entire life...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01   #30

Boat: 48 Californian

Just sit on the wall buy SBYC and wait for someone to open the gate at Marina 1. You will have boats to look at for days.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote