Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Wireless Net Availability

It is common knowledge that much of the Gulf of Mexico is checkered with oil platforms, I guess to as much as 1 hundred miles out. That being said, when in the vicinity of a working rig, are there wireless internet networks available to piggy back on for offshore communication??????
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Don't waste your time. The ones that have wireless are manned, and at least 80' above the water. You'd need to be moored to the platform and climb about halfway up to get useable wireless. Last platform I was on was password protected (bandwidth is expensive out there).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25   #3

Boat: Hylas 47
I'm using a 3G broadband connection I purchased in Cabo San Lucas. It's inexpensive, and it works anywhere there's a cell signal. You buy it at the Telcel store, but they only carry them in stock in the bigger cities. The small towns can get you one, but you have to order them in advance. It's called "Banda Ancha". Make sure you bring your passport with you when you go to purchase it, or you will have to make another trip.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Offshore GOM has cell service available, but like everything else out there, the infrastructure is neither inexpensive nor paid for. They will charge you airtime accordingly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i wouldnt worry about internet connections until hitting port, as most wifi is locked and requires a password to unlock-also has such short range..half mile max, isnt it??-there are free wifi areas in many cruising areas, but this is something that is dependent upon the area..goood luck--i use a broadband dial up card and do not worry about wifi--i am able to use my card wherever there is a cellular tower....for a fee...up to a few miles away from said tower...my sprint card works in mexico and usvi for no more charge than in usa.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 17:33   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Help

"i use a broadband dial up card and do not worry about wifi--i am able to use my card wherever there is a cellular tower....for a fee...up to a few miles away from said tower...my sprint card works in mexico and usvi for no more charge than in usa..... "

I find much of this tech talk confusing. Is there a site which explains in laymans terms how I could get web access afloat? Would a visit to a cellphone retailer help? I don't have a buddy to say, first do this, then do this, etc. I've been a user for years but never had to set anything up. Thanks for the advice.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 19:48   #7

Boat: Ingrid 38 Cutter S/V Kokopelli
We have a 3G AT&T wireless card that was often useless as we cruise the Georgetown SC through the outerbanks of NC. It did work in (Little) Washington, NC, but not in Bellehaven or Beaufort NC.So it really depends on your 3G vendor's area of coverage.Luckily for us those areas without 3G we did have access to local WIFI service, so all was not lost.
FLKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 04:05   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Jim Walsh,

There are a number of threads on the topic of Internet access afloat. Click on the link in my signature and do some keyword searches. I'm sure you'll find a lot to read!