Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 09:33   #76

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Windward Island Hell: Itís no longer a safe place to sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Thanks for the social justice warrior/ political correctness/ white guilt rubbish. Maybe you could convince them that they are victims and are entitled to reparations. Oh the horror of being called a "boat boy".

As long as you are also willing to be addressed as "boy" by complete strangers, it's all good. Let's start now boy.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 09:58   #77

Boat: Catalina 30

What sounds so funny to me about posts like this is it sounds like there is no crime anywhere else but where they are talking about. We have crime here in Atlanta, but no one says they would not visit here. Yes, you have to be alert. (The world needs more LERTs!)

When we were on a cruise to the Carib, yes some islands had crime advisories. On one island the folks in the rural areas were great, very friendly and helpful. But in the main city we were very wary walking back, as some of the folks seemed just as likely to kill you as look at you. (Sort of like some areas downtownÖ.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 10:14   #78

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Just met a gorgeous irish/Trinidad woman here in Greece yesterday.... Said hope someday to visit her County. She laughed and spent 30 min talking me out of it 😁 Said the crime is off the charts, mentioned some horrible incidents to people she knew, said so much is underreported, corrupt police etc. I've been to 90 odd countries, some very sketch, and I know the drill. But she put me right off going....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 10:28   #79

One thing about land travel is that when you're home or in your hotel room, one is USUALLY secure.....given that you live or stay in a safe neighborhood.

However, anchored on a boat off of some island with known violent criminal activity, you are a sitting duck.

Not much a couple or family can do once boarded by armed men with bad intentions.

I'm not saying anything in particular about St Lucia or St Vincent because late night boardings with fatal consequences have happened in many other places in the Caribbean.

I am saying I feel more vulnerable on a boat, and given my druthers would naturally avoid known sketchy areas.
Old 14-07-2019, 12:09   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm at Union island now. Have made a point of speaking to expat charter boat skippers (own their own boats) about the crime etc around here and st Vincent.

The standard reply is, we have no problems, we bring our dinghy up each night and lock it and leave nothing on deck.

This is standard practice for me, I also lock my self in and have ss bars in the hatches, don't be the low lying fruit . Plenty around me leave their dinghies in the water each night, I figure they are a easier target.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 12:29   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm at Union island now. Have made a point of speaking to expat charter boat skippers (own their own boats) about the crime etc around here and st Vincent.

The standard reply is, we have no problems, we bring our dinghy up each night and lock it and leave nothing on deck.

This is standard practice for me, I also lock my self in and have ss bars in the hatches, don't be the low lying fruit . Plenty around me leave their dinghies in the water each night, I figure they are a easier target.
Wow.....last I read you were in Africa somewhere.

I believe you've stated before that your boat is quite secure.....good for you. I also believe you've stated that you were boarded more than once with violent consequences during one of the boardings.

You gonna be in the Windwards for awhile?
Old 14-07-2019, 12:48   #82

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Wow.....last I read you were in Africa somewhere.

I believe you've stated before that your boat is quite secure.....good for you. I also believe you've stated that you were boarded more than once with violent consequences during one of the boardings.

You gonna be in the Windwards for awhile?
Hi, yep boarded 3 times in 10 years, once in the Philippines and twice in the Seychelles, I'm definitely more careful now. I like sleeping thus I installed nice looking security bars.

I think I'm here for a at least a year (carribean), may fly home for a while. Want to learn to kite surf and enjoy not moving the boat

I'm more scared of the prices here than the people. So far I've found the locals to be very friendly.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 16:01   #83
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Just met a gorgeous irish/Trinidad woman here in Greece yesterday.... Said hope someday to visit her County. She laughed and spent 30 min talking me out of it 😁 Said the crime is off the charts, mentioned some horrible incidents to people she knew, said so much is underreported, corrupt police etc. I've been to 90 odd countries, some very sketch, and I know the drill. But she put me right off going....
Off topic, but...
I've never traveled to a inhabited place that was safer then the Greek Islands.
Old 14-07-2019, 16:12   #84

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Off topic, but...
Until you get mugged by a bottle of ouzo
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 16:52   #85
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Until you get mugged by a bottle of ouzo
That's funny Stingo. I was going to add my qualifier story where I drank a ton of Tsipouro with some locals in Naussa and passed out. Left my laptop on the cockpit table all night, open, on, with the lit screen facing the quay and no one grabbed it.

Ouzo - it's like mouthwash. Tsipouro is the real deal!! (I think).
Old 15-07-2019, 00:30   #86

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Well, in spite of all the horror stories and warnings....we're gonna go to St Lucia in October and sail south.

The only part of our itinerary that concerns me is the planned stop in St Vincent on the sail back to Rodney Bay.

I will be more than happy to write up our experiences and post it here if we're not murdered.

Cheers!
The vast majority of cruisers who stop do not have any serious trouble, just like in your home country cities. That said, why stop at islands that have years of crime against cruuiser issues including murders and are more interested in covering issues up to improve tourism rather work on fixing the problem, when there are so many nice, much lower crime islands around? I choose to not spend my money on these risky islands.
Last time we sailed down the Windward islands we sailed around St Lucia and St Vincent for those reasons. Did stop at Bequia.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 01:58   #87

Quote:
Off topic, but...
Yeah! We're on a tiny 1 mile wide island with 70 people on it north of Corfu, stuck waiting for a water pump the past week, and it's a little paradise run by the marina owner (who fortunately is a friend of a friend) and a single cop. We are not checked in, not paid up, nothing...when I explained it to them, the guy says: Here, it is just me, and him, we decide everything. Enjoy yourself, get to corfu whenever you like. Until then, we decided that you're not here. Last night got drunk with them. Leaving in a few days, maybe Anyone coming through to check into Greece at Corfu and wants to stop a minute first, PM me

EDIT: Oh, and good shelter up to 50 knots (ffs) Plus they'll babysit your cats for you
Old 15-07-2019, 07:29   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The vast majority of cruisers who stop do not have any serious trouble, just like in your home country cities. That said, why stop at islands that have years of crime against cruuiser issues including murders and are more interested in covering issues up to improve tourism rather work on fixing the problem, when there are so many nice, much lower crime islands around? I choose to not spend my money on these risky islands.
Last time we sailed down the Windward islands we sailed around St Lucia and St Vincent for those reasons. Did stop at Bequia.
Good question and one I have given a good deal of thought to.

It basically boils down to odds. We've always wanted to visit St Lucia and the Grenadiines.... St Vincent not so much. Yes there is crime and a few murders over the years but the crime needs to be put in perspective.

I live in the Bay Area and spend a lot of time in San Francisco....walk there day and night.....SF had 54 murders in in 2017 yet still attracts millions upon millions of tourists.

Chicago had 24 shootings and FIVE murders in just one weekend this past April, yet few say they would never visit Chicago because it's too dangerous.

To me the murder rate in our major cities is tragic, yet it's seldom talked about. Mention St Lucia or St Vincent and everybody talks about the murder of one sailor 3 years ago. Again, perspective.

I'm chartering for this trip. Not too concerned about theft, but will take ALL security precautions for our safety....Yes, we would feel better if we had alarms and lights but it is what it is. People charter in this area regularly with few if any problems.

I get what you're saying and I agree with you. However, there are lots of places we have traveled to around the world that have dodgy reputations and even warnings from the state department. I just used common sense and good judgement and never had a problem.....of any kind. Yes, I do believe there has been some luck involved as well. Bottom line is, I very am glad to have had the experience of these places and have no regrets.

As I mentioned earlier, our itinerary has us sailing back to base in Rodney Bay with a stop in St Vincent......otherwise we would probably have to leave during the night which technically isn't allowed. On the sail down to Bequia we can bypass St Vincent all together with what should be a 10 hour sail or so.

On the sail back we have a few options to spend the night....Wallilabou Bay, Cumberland Bay and Kearton Bay. From what I've read, we will give Wallilabou a pass. If we are alone, will just sail on into the night because we won't be anchoring alone in St Vincent.

So that's the plan for now. I think this will be our only ( so called) high crime area we will knowingly sail to.
Old 15-07-2019, 07:40   #89

Quote:
Good question and one I have given a good deal of thought to.

It basically boils down to odds. We've always wanted to visit St Lucia and the Grenadiines.... St Vincent not so much. Yes there is crime and a few murders over the years but the crime needs to be put in perspective.

I live in the Bay Area and spend a lot of time in San Francisco....walk there day and night.....SF had 54 murders in in 2017 yet still attracts millions upon millions of tourists.

Chicago had 24 shootings and FIVE murders in just one weekend this past April, yet few say they would never visit Chicago because it's too dangerous.

To me the murder rate in our major cities is tragic, yet it's seldom talked about. Mention St Lucia or St Vincent and everybody talks about the murder of one sailor 3 years ago. Again, perspective.

I'm chartering for this trip. Not too concerned about theft, but will take ALL security precautions for our safety....Yes, we would feel better if we had alarms and lights but it is what it is. People charter in this area regularly with few if any problems.

I get what you're saying and I agree with you. However, there are lots of places we have traveled to around the world that have dodgy reputations and even warnings from the state department. I just used common sense and good judgement and never had a problem.....of any kind. Yes, I do believe there has been some luck involved as well. Bottom line is, I very am glad to have had the experience of these places and have no regrets.

As I mentioned earlier, our itinerary has us sailing back to base in Rodney Bay with a stop in St Vincent......otherwise we would probably have to leave during the night which technically isn't allowed. On the sail down to Bequia we can bypass St Vincent all together with what should be a 10 hour sail or so.

On the sail back we have a few options to spend the night....Wallilabou Bay, Cumberland Bay and Kearton Bay. From what I've read, we will give Wallilabou a pass. If we are alone, will just sail on into the night because we won't be anchoring alone in St Vincent.

So that's the plan for now. I think this will be our only ( so called) high crime area we will knowingly sail to.

Here is the difference... When I traveled with a backpack, or equally often with a plastic grocery bag containing all my belongings, I went faar and wide, to very sketch places. When I had a motorcycle, I did as well, but realized my weaknesses. In the VW bus, a big slow moving target, I curtailed some destinations. Now, in a very big, very slow moving symbol of wealth, with my whole life on it, plus lots of fun stuff like cameras, drones, scuba gear, cash, medicine, alcohol, 3 cats and 2 girls to protect without being allowed any significant hardware to protect them, it makes perfect sense to avoid areas that are hot. Simple as that. When I was 18 walking around Western Sahara? Sure, take what I got cause I'm poorer than you. Now? Well, I don't feel like fighting to the death anymore
Old 15-07-2019, 07:45   #90

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Off topic, but...

Yep Lefkas people leave the keys in their vehicles, bicycles are mostly unlocked. Very safe place.

I was followed once though by a strange man, and told i was a very beautiful boy by another that stalked me as went around the supermarket.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, wind