Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 01:54   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: windvane on hydraulic wheel steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
How tough would it me to alter the hydraulics so that your helm's more responsive, & has fewer turns from lock to lock?
I'd imagine that such would make both hand steering, and an AP or Vane's task, easier.
You would still have the problem of slip.

The only hydraulic steering I've ever seen was Hynautics on a Morgan OI 41. As it looks like you buy a different pump for a different gain these seem to be fixed displacement pumps.

SeaStar Solutions

There are variable displacement swash plate pumps, but I don't know if anyone makes one for boat steering.
https://www.parker.com/literature/Li...latebasics.pdf
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 08:59   #17

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamuk View Post
We have hydraulic steering and an wind vane">Aries wind vane. I put a vertical tiller (1/4" x 2" stainless flat bar with a bolt for a pivot at the bottom) with a lower and upper chain slot in the lazerette and a back mounted cable quadrant on the rudder post. The cables from the quadrant are joined with a short length of chain which is dropped into the lower chain slot. A similar length of chain links the lines from the Aries and goes in the upper slot which is just above deck level in the lazerette hatch. To engage the Aries I open a bypass valve in the hydraulics, open the lazerette hatch and drop the lower chain into its slot and I'm done. No lines in the cockpit, use a cheep Navico auto pilot in the lazerette hooked to the vertical tiller and have a wooden handle to give me a secondary steering system if the hydraulics were to fail. Has worked well for 38 years and 75000 miles. Take the time to do the math for the position of the chain slots to give the same mechanical advantage and degrees of rudder deflection as the Aries specification for a conventional tiller set up.
That sounds like a very elegant solution.
Old 20-06-2016, 10:09   #18

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanamuk View Post
We have hydraulic steering and an Aries wind vane. I put a vertical tiller (1/4" x 2" stainless flat bar with a bolt for a pivot at the bottom) with a lower and upper chain slot in the lazerette and a back mounted cable quadrant on the rudder post. The cables from the quadrant are joined with a short length of chain which is dropped into the lower chain slot. A similar length of chain links the lines from the Aries and goes in the upper slot which is just above deck level in the lazerette hatch. To engage the Aries I open a bypass valve in the hydraulics, open the lazerette hatch and drop the lower chain into its slot and I'm done. No lines in the cockpit, use a cheep Navico auto pilot in the lazerette hooked to the vertical tiller and have a wooden handle to give me a secondary steering system if the hydraulics were to fail. Has worked well for 38 years and 75000 miles. Take the time to do the math for the position of the chain slots to give the same mechanical advantage and degrees of rudder deflection as the Aries specification for a conventional tiller set up.

I am interested but cannot envisage this arrangement. Can you sketch a diagram and send a pic?

Sent from my iPhone
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:28   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
How tough would it me to alter the hydraulics so that your helm's more responsive, & has fewer turns from lock to lock?
I'd imagine that such would make both hand steering, and an AP or Vane's task, easier.
Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar problem on my Morgan 462, where I have to make 6 full turns to go lock to lock! I also currently have zero feedback at the wheel - while little feedback is common with hydraulics, I've heard that you can get some.

-David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 16:37   #20

Boat: Flicka

I would consider an auxillary rudder type windvane for your specific boat. It puts less on stress on your hydraulic steering system, which are notorious for leaking. If your main autopilot is also hydraulic it gives you the option to add a low amp tiller pilot as a backup. With this set up you'd have 2 independent steering systems. Nice insurance for a long singlehanded passage. A Hydrovane would work well. .
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38   #21

Boat: Cartwright 44

We have a Cap Horn that drives an emergency tiller. The hydraulics bypass is then opened. Works pretty well on our Cartwright 44.
Mika F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, wheel, wind, windvane