Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 23:32   #1

Wind vane steering gear - feedback

I am in the process of designing and building a wind vane steering system out of an old hardwood door, some recycled oak floor boards and some scrap pieces of stainless steel I have accumulated. Just need to buy nuts and bolts.

The system will be servo pendulum. I have read about and understand the main principles. Horizontal wind vane blows over and via linkages turns the oar which veers to port or starboard. Ropes fastened to the frame running through blocks connects to the tiller and corrects the boats course. Simples!

I also understand once the oar is turned it will quickly veer sideways although water pressure from the boat rudder should/will progresively limit this sideways movement. However I have read I need to build "feedback" into the system and at the moment I am not really understanding what I need to do. I cannot find much online by way of an explanation of feedback and am wondering if anyone on here could enlighten me. My fear is that the system will always over correct the course (oversteer) and my track will be a continuous S shape.

As far as I can determine building a system that looks as though it should work is pretty simple requiring only average DIY skills although it would be pleasing to build one that actually does work!.

Look forward to replies

Thanks

Mike
Mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, steering, wind, wind vane