Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2022, 17:56   #16

Boat: 45f5
Re: Will a metal flare gun get me in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post

An American was saved by a Canadian from a grizzly bear mauling him with a 4” knife.

You guys have some mean arse Grizzy bears there. Most just use their claws and teeth!
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 18:28   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post

And never forget that the USA is pretty much alone in allowing everyone and anyone to carry firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
A completely false statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Exactly, why do people always forget about Somalia? And I think Afghanistan, Iraq, parts of Pakistan, I guess Ukraine now?
Guys, try to remember this is a recreational sailing / cruising site, the OP is hardy likely to be cruising to the countries mentioned above.

For the countries most members here will cruise to or cruise in, grantmc is essentially correct. To suggest otherwise is simply miss-information / dis-information or argumentative.

For the OP, if you do plan to carry your metal flare gun, declare it on entry. You will be given clear instructions by the customs guys. To do anything else is plain silly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 18:51   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Nov 6, 2020 Snowshovel Bill attacked a polar bear mauling a girl with a plastic snow shovel. That flare gun might have been better. Bill lost but the town cab rammed the bear and it wandered off. The girl and bill were flown to Winnipeg for several hundred stitches and Canadian Tire gave Bill a new snow shovel
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 19:06   #19

Or OP you could take the advise of someone familiar with Canadian gun laws and play with it in the US.
Heck I worry about US customs calling out the national guard for 2 frozen burgers.
There are orange flare guns with metal barrels. Just the handles in ASA. They don’t have laser sights. It’s a weapon with a flare gun version. I believe in will be a collectors item but not here.
Old 19-04-2022, 10:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Guys, try to remember this is a recreational sailing / cruising site, the OP is hardy likely to be cruising to the countries mentioned above.

For the countries most members here will cruise to or cruise in, grantmc is essentially correct. To suggest otherwise is simply miss-information / dis-information or argumentative.

For the OP, if you do plan to carry your metal flare gun, declare it on entry. You will be given clear instructions by the customs guys. To do anything else is plain silly.
I guess I forgot to include the sarcasm emoji, I thought it was painfully obvious especially when I started throwing in landlocked countries!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 15:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I guess I forgot to include the sarcasm emoji, I thought it was painfully obvious especially when I started throwing in landlocked countries!
My apologies for missing your sarcasm RNR, I must have been half asleep.

I am now in doubt of the meaning behind denverd0n's post. Perhaps he came confirm his intended tenor.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-04-2022, 06:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I am now in doubt of the meaning behind denverd0n's post. Perhaps he came confirm his intended tenor.
I was not responding to the OP. I was responding to the statement by grantmc that "everyone and anyone" in the USA is allowed to carry firearms. That statement is simply and completely false.

Pointing that out is not an attempt to be argumentative. If he had said that our atmosphere is 90% hydrogen, no one would think me argumentative for pointing out how wrong such a statement would be. (Just as wrong, in fact, as the statement that he actually DID make.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 07:49   #23

Who cares what the exact stats or correct acronym is. The 2nd was born out of revolution vague at best not up to date or reality.
The US is just plain gun crazy. Solving a parking spot argument with a gun in Florida
Do you really think the rest of the world wants that crap in their boarders.
Who cares. Bring a side arm go to jail. Easy stuff
Old 20-04-2022, 08:15   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The reality is most of the world will treat a flare gun as a firearm , and the hassle that follows that isnt worth it. Leave it at home.
Old 20-04-2022, 08:41   #25

Follow the OPs link to the web site. It’s an illegal single barrel gun designed to hold a 12 Gauge. Cut down a shot gun. They have various models so you can play Space Force on the couch watching Football. Laser sites to tease cats with. They mention on one version Flare Gun. yup
Flare guns are welcomed and required. Two yahoos with a machine shop nah
Old 20-04-2022, 08:49   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Given you can buy conventional handheld and rocket flares , it makes no sense to bring any form of firearm to foreign countries. Leave it at home and save yourself a pile of hassle.
Old 20-04-2022, 16:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I was not responding to the OP. I was responding to the statement by grantmc that "everyone and anyone" in the USA is allowed to carry firearms. That statement is simply and completely false.

Pointing that out is not an attempt to be argumentative. If he had said that our atmosphere is 90% hydrogen, no one would think me argumentative for pointing out how wrong such a statement would be. (Just as wrong, in fact, as the statement that he actually DID make.)
Thanks for your response.
Old 22-04-2022, 06:31   #28

Boat: Hylas 54

Bermuda bans any kind of flare gun. When clearing in the immigration officer will specifically ask if you have on your boat,
bluepearl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:08   #29

It’s a Flare launcher In the navy we had Flare guns that a shotgun shell could fit into. One of the bright young sailors attempted to shot a shotgun shell out of a flare gun. He was lucky that he only lost two fingers.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:48   #30

I got rid of all my flares - expensive, dangerous, and an environmental hazard.

They are 19th century technology that never worked very well for distress. Even in the movies the passing boat never sees the flares. Most people mistake them for something else (the officers of the SS California discussed the clearly visible Titanic rockets but didn’t think it important enough to wake the captain).

And it’s hard to think of a more useless weapon. Difficult to aim so effective only at very close range. Frequent dud shells. More likely to bounce off and light the boat on fire than hurt anyone. No time to reload after a first shot before the other guy uses a real gun (or just throws a winch handle at you)
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote