Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 11:53   #76

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Will a 2.3 HP outboard do?

I have used 4hp on a small foldable boat. That zipped along good with just one person.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 13:32   #77

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27

Get something low from yamaha. itd almost be worth buying a used yamaha 2hp (the older version) and fixing it up. best outboard ive ever ever ever owned. though im not sure how well itd make out on a 10 1/2' er. get the yamaha 5hp to be safe. you really cant go wrong with yamahas.
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:04   #78

Boat: H36

The Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke is not a well engineered motor. If you want a list of its deficits I will supply.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:26   #79

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Folks are mentioning 27kg (60lb) as light. That is not light. The Honda 2.3 is 27lb. We have one and it is light.
"Light" is relative, but that's about as light as it gets anymore in the USA because of the EPA. We have one and it's a bit awkward to carry it up the ladder to the flybridge but that's the best place for us to store it.

The dinghy is just under eight feet, an inflatable with a high pressure inflatable floor. The Honda is fine on it with two people and a small dog. I'm not sure about a bigger dinghy.
Old 15-04-2016, 15:41   #80

Boat: Lots of boats.

This thread got me looking. I have a 6 HP two stroke that's about 45 pounds. Not bad really, but there have been times I didn't go out because its a hassle to put in the car and the tank leaks a bit. So started looking at small outboards and watching videos and reading reviews. I've decided to pick up the Suzuki 2.5. Seems to be a versatile and reliable little motor with some get up and go (for its size). At 30 lbs. as I get older, I'll appreciate the smaller size and weight more with every year.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 20:21   #81

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
When I'm feeling lazy, I have been known to use my Genoa winch and my Milwaukee drill to raise the dinghy's engine end.
Makes short work of it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We do not use davits, the dinghy gets stored on the foredeck, and although Jim can do it all by himself, we do it together, usually. We tie the dinghy amidships, having made a lifting harness for the 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and a mount on the stern rail, and he hooks the spinnaker halyard to the harness, and climbs back aboard to "be the arm of the crane." In low gear, it takes 6 fast turns to elevate the motor till it just clears, and I lower it down. You do not need an electric crane, if you have a spare genoa halyard or a spinny halyard available.

We have a 3 hp elderly Johnson for our "little motor". It is (besides being noisier than the larger engine) not only slow, but its fuel consumption is greater than that of the 15 horse, as well. It would not push us into any 25 knot wind even in flat water. Therefore, I do not believe a 2.3 will do.

Maybe you should try out a small used engine and see how the whole deal works for you, but don't sell off your 15, because you may well find (as we did) that when you want the power, it is really great to have it available. It'd be silly to have to spend the night ashore if you couldn't get back to your boat.

Ann
Old 15-04-2016, 21:07   #82

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

We use the Honda on our 10 foot inflatable dinghy. It works fine. Not fast, and not quiet but it gets the job done. I also have an older 2.2 Merc 2 stroke and that motor is scary powerful. With two people and gear in a canoe it flies. I haven't used it on the dinghy yet but have no doubt it would blow away the Honda, which is 20 years newer. Quieter too. Both engines have no reverse or even neutral, just pull and go!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard