Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 14:02   #91
cruiser

Re: Why the endless need for speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Beat me to it… Ken, I hate to break it to you, but you also have a “smallish sailboat.”
Lame.... Read post #85
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 14:18   #92

Boat: Rafiki 37

I didn't care about speed at all and then I went racing a few times.

Now I've installed a boom vang and a cunny and constantly muck around with the sails

It's a curse I tells ya
Old 01-08-2017, 15:56   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I didn't care about speed at all and then I went racing a few times.

Now I've installed a boom vang and a cunny and constantly muck around with the sails

It's a curse I tells ya

Yes, that is how it starts, then one day you realize that the last big chunk of money you spent didn't really make you much faster and now your breaking stuff and wearing out stuff much faster and are not getting near as much racing in as you used to.
That is how it went for me road racing motorcycles and other motor sports, I'm sure it's how racing anything goes, ever increasing amount of money for ever decreasing amount of speed.
I bet racing lawnmowers is the same
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 21:23   #94

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I bet racing lawnmowers is the same

Many years ago I raced Cal 20s in a fleet of 10-15 boats in Victoria BC. Only a jib and a main, no spinnakers, and a top speed of about 4 knots. Man, it was exciting in the middle of a group of boats, everyone fighting for the next 0.1 knot and for the favoured position. Some skippers even polished their hulls, but the difference was mostly psychological. Great fun!

From the outside it must have looked like watching grass grow.

So maybe it's the relative speed that matters? Watching the last America's Cup, it was funny to hear the commentators say how slow the boats were going at 20 knots and how dead in the water off the foils still was 9 knots boat speed.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 21:57   #95

Boat: O'Day 34
Why the endless need for speed?

Because time is the most precious commodity in existence. Each person has a finite amount and once spent it is gone forever.

You can always slow down if you want to (SPEND more time) if the passage is your priority but to SAVE time, or to SPEND less on the passage means you have more of your precious commodity to do other things that might be even more enjoyable, like skinny dipping in a private cove with your Honey...
Old 02-08-2017, 10:27   #96

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Speed is for landlubbers want get back to dirt .. Going slow for one more night at sea Let the barnacles grow until they can be harvested, antifouling is overrated
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:10   #97

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Strange, we've got plenty of crew for the rally coming back up, but not so many want to do the delivery down.
Strange indeed, I'm more home in a delivery crew, big seas and third reefed sails... Anyways after I get my stomach to hold it's content. Four more years to retirement and don't want to loose my sealegs after that

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36   #98

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Because time is the most precious commodity in existence. Each person has a finite amount and once spent it is gone forever.

You can always slow down if you want to (SPEND more time) if the passage is your priority but to SAVE time, or to SPEND less on the passage means you have more of your precious commodity to do other things that might be even more enjoyable, like skinny dipping in a private cove with your Honey...
I like the way you think! Time to go to one of those spots with bioluminescent waters with a beautiful blonde, er brunette, or is she a redhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Strange indeed, I'm more home in a delivery crew, big seas and third reefed sails...
Yeah, I love deliveries too, so long as the crew chemistry is tolerable. Some of the best sailing I've ever done was on such trips.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:52   #99

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post

I completely agree. Time is all we have. I have come to realize that rushing around, going from one ‘must see’ to another ‘must see’ is a terrible way for me to spend what little time I have on this earth. There is joy and beauty everywhere, but we’re all rushing around so fast, trying to get ‘somewhere’ that most of us miss what is in front of us.

The difference between fast and slow on most cruising boats is a range of about 5 to 9 knots. That’s a pretty narrow range of SAVEing time vs SPENDing time. If your calculus is that you want to get ‘somewhere' fast, then my opinion is that you should buy an airline ticket, or at least get a fast power boat.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55   #100

Boat: Presto 36

The great LH Herreshoff, who was always a voice for simplicity in boats, bemoaned the same thing over a hundred years ago, because the demand for "racers" (fixed keel boats in his parlance) with their desire for speed and the ability to go to weather was destroying the desire for simple and sane regional sailboat types that had existed for hundreds of years because of specialized local condition.
Seabeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:20   #101

I've had fast (for a cruising boat) and I've had slow. Fast is better.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:47   #102

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Speed is best enjoyed on a smaller boat... the closer your bum is to the water the more fun it is.

If you really feel the need for speed sail skiffs.
Old 02-08-2017, 16:48   #103

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Something was asked about covering 225 nm or some such number. Well, the answer is POWER.

We're going to cover 225 nm tomorrow. Leaving at 7:00 AM. Estimated arrival time between 6:00 and 7:00 PM. Beautiful ride.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 18:38   #104

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Speed gives you freedom, options, power, comfort and safety. Speed is the opposite of breakage, assuming the boat is designed for it, because it's about staying out of bad weather and sailing as the boat is designed. People here are getting caught up in assuming fast means pushing a boat to it's limits and beyond. No, going fast is about a boat's design. Yes loads go up. So do the loads driving a big SUV compared to compact car. So does that make an SUV less safe? of course not, it is designed beefier for the loads. Speed Allows you to make quicker passages and sail in more ideal weather or sail home when others need to motor. most of us have non-sailing lives and a fast boat give you the option to cruise to more places and leave in a more narrow weather window. I'm supersized so many of you shun the idea of doubling the wind speed in a smooth ocean sipping wine and reading a book, cruising at 30knts... why not (assuming money is no object as I think the OP was saying)? imagine a NYC business man who wants to spend the weekend in Newport, RI. Leaving Friday Afternoon, he gets there maybe in time for a sundowner and can enjoy the weekend before leaving on Sunday afternoon to get back to work. Slow boat.. well he gets to Newport Mid-day Saturday, has time for 1 drink before setting sail for home... Or say the same guy has the summer break off with his kids. Fast boat gets him to Europe in 1 week, spend a month, 1 week sail to Caribbean, spend a few weeks and head home to NYC... A slow boat, he gets to cruise Maine and back. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He can do that in the fast boat if he wants and he could do it more comfortably and safer by avoiding weather and not needing to motor when the slow boat does. The point is, the fast boat gives him many more places to go, things to experience, more safety and more comfort if he chooses... Yes, I'm talking extremes, but every knot helps make a difference. Most likely the difference between motoring home or being able to sail for us weekend warriors. So the OP asked what is the fastest you want to sail? For me, the fastest Technology and my wallet allow for my given use. Today, I own an old IOR bluewater race boat to go cruising in because it had a PHRF of 99 and comparable 'cruisers' PHRF was 150 and up. I'll enjoy the beach while they get bashed by weather. I sail home Sunday in light wind while they motor... etc.. Wish someone would give me a Gunboat!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 18:54   #105

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Wish someone would give me a Gunboat!
You mean one of the ones that fell apart?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote