Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 16:01   #91
cruiser

Re: Why people may not help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ken it sounds like you were in the burbs not actually in the country. To me country starts where the blacktop ends.
Yep, I'd agree with that.
Old 09-01-2017, 16:05   #92

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The city is just the opposite, a place where people are somewhat forced to get along by their close proximity. Kinda like Sesame Street. Your neighbor's car gets stuck, you help dig them out of the snow etc. It's easy to do because you're right there..
I quite agree with Ken. I've always lived either in a City or a close to the city neighborhood and I've always found very supportive people in both environs. Not to the extent of our sailor's tribe, but not that far from it.

Fair winds,

Leo
Old 09-01-2017, 16:13   #93

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
Now this one is just funny ,so no offence to anyone.
Living on a farm you get a call for help you drop everything and go.
I had a call from a neighbor (extremely religious) saying she has a large carpet snake in he bedroom , ( Her husband is away) can I come over and get rid of it ,so I did! When I finished she said " Thank the Lord ,Thank the Lord" He was no help at all!
See, that's where you're mistaken. Who do you think sent you?

Should have read the rest of the thread! oops!

meatservo
Old 09-01-2017, 16:21   #94

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
An instructor of mine at cooking school told us a funny story. Whenever he went to his inlaws for dinner, they would just hand him the carving knife and expect him to serve.
Not wanting to offend, he bit his tongue the first couple times.
The third time, he'd had enough. When they handed him the knife he said to his brother in law(who was a mechanic) "while I'm doing this, could you go look at my car. It's been making a weird noise when I turn the wheel"
The brother in law got offended and told him to bring it to the shop on monday, I work all week on cars and don't want to do it all weekend too!
My instructor handed back the knife with a smile.
I like to use my skills to help people, by my choice. When THEY decide, it's a job and I get paid for it.
I find this a bit curious. Did your instructor provide or cook the meal? I always thought carving was an honor that any guest would be proud to perform, especially for family. I find no equivalence in this simple task and something like painting a picture, photographing a wedding, or rebuilding a transmission.

He could have easily begged off and explained he did not want a busman's holiday; I think he was being a little self-aggrandizing.

I guess I've always been lucky for I've never had such a dinner guest, although I did have one guy who turned up his nose at my Laphroaig because it was only the ten year-old variety. As it turned out he exhibited other less than sterling qualities so his date got a ride home with another guest. Our whiskey snob was not rendered another invitation.

I do agree with the heart of your point, Chris, just not the example.

Fair winds,

Leo
Old 09-01-2017, 16:22   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ken it sounds like you were in the burbs not actually in the country. To me country starts where the blacktop ends.
Isn't the country what the wealthy call the burbs?
Old 09-01-2017, 16:35   #96

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We are not typical cruisers. We are not interested in crowded anchorages, potluck dinners, picnics on the beach or sailing armadas from point to point. The last place we would ever go would be Georgetown, Bahamas. We cruise because we love to sail and the challenges it presents. We seek destinations off the beaten path and the adventures they provide. However, in 30 years of sailing we have never ignored any sailor in distress and there have been many we have helped. We never approach any situation with an expectation of reward and make it clear from the initial contact that they are seeking help and wish us to help them. Liability is always a concern but, in all honesty, we usually just roll the dice. Our personal belief is that our values generally oppose the shallow and selfish values of our contemporary world and we refuse to be infected with this moral/ethical malaise. The bottom line is that what you do in any given situation is a direct indication of who you are as a person and the values in which you believe. These actions are the badges that define your life. Good luck and safe sailing.
Nice post
Old 09-01-2017, 16:38   #97

I was not expecting anything, including them being a dick after the fact
Also found out after the fact that the guy with the wiring job had received quotes previously and was not willing to pay the price
Punctuate this for me
Old 09-01-2017, 16:44   #98

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
I find this a bit curious. Did your instructor provide or cook the meal? I always thought carving was an honor that any guest would be proud to perform, especially for family. I find no equivalence in this simple task and something like painting a picture, photographing a wedding, or rebuilding a transmission.

He could have easily begged off and explained he did not want a busman's holiday; I think he was being a little self-aggrandizing.

I guess I've always been lucky for I've never had such a dinner guest, although I did have one guy who turned up his nose at my Laphroaig because it was only the ten year-old variety. As it turned out he exhibited other less than sterling qualities so his date got a ride home with another guest. Our whiskey snob was not rendered another invitation.

I do agree with the heart of your point, Chris, just not the example.

Fair winds,

Leo
The point was that even simple tasks, when expected of you, isn't volunteer, it's volentold. Any mechanic would have needed 10sec to listen to the car and tell him he was low,on power steering fluid. He didn't even try because it was "his" day off.

Carving may be considered an Honor but do it for a 500 person wedding, or worse yet mothers day brunch then see how much you want to do it at home or your evening out;-)
Old 09-01-2017, 16:51   #99

Boat: Mac 26X

Luckily the majority of us don't allow a few jerks to make us bitter. And if you offer to "help" and then very upset at the paltry offer of recompense...you didn't really offer to "help" IMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2017, 17:44   #100

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

I have given up helping people solve computer issues. Problem fixed, 6 months later something else goes wrong, must have been something I did when I fixed it last time.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:45   #101
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

To remind me from becoming a bit 'holier than thou'.

I remember being invited as guest of honor to a luncheon

Something told me I should decline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1484012718781.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	139292
Old 09-01-2017, 17:49   #102

Guy gets his anchor line caught I his prop. Asked me to splice the damaged portion. As I finished, he asked me for my name and address. When I inquired as to why he wanted to know, he said, "so that if the splice lets go I can sue you." I undid the splice and told him "Here, now that you have seen how it is done, you can do it yourself."
Old 09-01-2017, 17:59   #103

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its called progress..
There was a time as a biker when if I pulled up under a bridge on a cold wet winters day to thaw out my hands, warm n dry my gloves a bit on the engine and have a smoke.. a bike would roar past then turn round and come back to ask if I was okay.. passing bikes would give a cheery wave or nod..
Then biking became trendy with designer leathers and Yuppie buyers/riders.. today they just roar past and/or ignore your greeting.
Over the years the same thing has happened in the boating world.. common courtesies fade as the amount and type of 'Users' grows..
The natural result through an influx of the "Me Me..!!!" Society...
Myself.. its like lending someone money.. once bitten twice shy.. with that particular person.
I'd have to disagree with Boaty on this one.

Bikers still have a great sense of community, pretty much like most boaters. I ride a fancy adventure bike but still wave to other riders and they wave to me. Doesn't matter who they are, sport riders, harley guys and even the occasional scooter. If someone looks like they need help I pull over, and when I've been pulled over adjusting my gear lots of people have enquired if I'm OK, including cagers and truckers. This happens more often in remote areas and away from cities, where a cell phone call can solve a problem quickly.
There are many of instances of bikers getting into trouble in Alaska and elsewhere and the community almost immediately responds with offers of help, including use of tools, transport , accommodation and even trailering.

Sure there are people who don't fit the mould, both in biking and boating, but I firmly believe the good outweigh the bad by a long shot!
Old 09-01-2017, 18:13   #104

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
I'd have to disagree with Boaty on this one.

Bikers still have a great sense of community, pretty much like most boaters. I ride a fancy adventure bike but still wave to other riders and they wave to me. Doesn't matter who they are, sport riders, harley guys and even the occasional scooter. If someone looks like they need help I pull over, and when I've been pulled over adjusting my gear lots of people have enquired if I'm OK, including cagers and truckers. This happens more often in remote areas and away from cities, where a cell phone call can solve a problem quickly.

There are many of instances of bikers getting into trouble in Alaska and elsewhere and the community almost immediately responds with offers of help, including use of tools, transport , accommodation and even trailering.

Sure there are people who don't fit the mould, both in biking and boating, but I firmly believe the good outweigh the bad by a long shot!

The good don't outweigh the bad, the bad look small in comparison.
Old 09-01-2017, 18:35   #105

If you have ever asked for or encouraged help from someone and it was more than advise and it took a good bit of time and you gave them a beer or two (4$)and a thank you, or worse yet, did nothing for them You might be a ------------
Closed Thread