Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52   #166

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Why is sailing so formal?

Yes. Let's.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

any post continuing the off topic discussion will be removed.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:29   #168

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
any post continuing the off topic discussion will be removed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why is sailing so formal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etterridge View Post
The word 'sailing' may be a little bit technical. In future let's just call it ' travelling g in a boat that uses pieces of cloth to propell it'.

That should make things a lot simpler for the newbies, lest we overwhelm them with all of those ridiculous technicalities.
Get it right mate.. its 'Stick and Rag'...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:27   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's not a formality really. Boats have their own parts that are unlike anything found on land. Therefore they need their own names that clearly define those parts. It's very analogous to aviation where aircraft have names for their parts that are unlike anything else such as ailerons, flaps, artificial horizons, pitot tubes, landing gear etc.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:51   #171
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Get it right mate.. its 'Stick and Rag'...
I like the cut of your jib
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:31   #172

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

While you don't need a lot of formal language puttering around on the lake with your 21ft sailboat, anyone in command of a large ocean-going crewed vessel has a lot of responsibility, for the vessel and all who sail in her. Discipline and formality help avoid sloppy dangerous practices and ensure people know what to do when a squall hits at 3 am.
The poster who talked about avoiding jargon while out with his buddies on the lake knocking back beers is exactly the reason we need such formality.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
The poster who talked about avoiding jargon while out with his buddies on the lake knocking back beers is exactly the reason we need such formality.

That was me, and while I do enjoy a cold beverage during a relaxing slow sail, I am by far the worst of your worries in our area. I've taken my boater safety courses, I follow the navigational rules, I watch my depths and gps, there is always lifejackets easily accessible and everyone knows where they are if they choose not to wear one, and my passengers comfort and safety are always my first concern.

Now the spring breakers on their dads cigarette boats and jet skis... THOSE are the ones you have to worry about.

This conversation has gone way left, way right, and everywhere in between, so I'm going to bow out. It wasn't my intention to start any kind of arguments. A few people understood my question for what it was, others didn't, and some didn't care, but that's ok because it's what makes the world non-monotonous.

Let's go sailing.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:38   #174

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Why is everything in sailing so formal? Everything from the techniques to the names of various items.

Is it just held over from the old days? Are other boating sports just as formal? I mean, I've never heard of power boats say they were tacking.

It's just an observation that I've made and wondered about. I didn't know if was just something that carried over through the years, or if it was mostly a safety thing, or what.
hi, the language is formal so that when the captain gives an order it cant be misunderstood for example, if you said left it could be your left or the person saying it , port is always the boats left whatever way you are facing. you can sail upwind without tacking if you can reach, your destination, zigzaging is when you cant do it on one tack, a tack is just sailing to windward can be port or starboard. hope that helps
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 16:17   #175

Quote:
Why is everything in sailing so formal? Everything from the techniques to the names of various items.

Is it just held over from the old days? Are other boating sports just as formal? I mean, I've never heard of power boats say they were tacking.

It's just an observation that I've made and wondered about. I didn't know if was just something that carried over through the years, or if it was mostly a safety thing, or what.

I COMPLETELY AND T-TOTALLY TAKE THIS COMMENT BACK, and now realize how out of turn I was speaking when originally posting this.

While the jargon in sailing *IS* quite formal, now I realize why and the necessity. We went out on a friends racing rigged boat and sailed in the bay, and then ended up sailing back through the channel and all the way back into the creek. We had to tack repeatedly through the channel and the creek, and after the first few tacks I realized why it was necessary. There was a fine line when timing a tack to keep the forward momentum. Any deviation in that timing resulted in a loss of speed and sometimes a loss of steerage when you're only doing 1 knot or less.

When you're in a tight channel like we were, and "beating into the wind", things like "yall ready to turn", and "pull that rope" just wouldn't cut it.

All of the "Ready about", "Ready", "Hard Alee", and "Let go and haul!", really were about timing and listening to who was doing what, and I completely realize that now.

And also, now I REALLY wish I hadn't thrown out those 6 pairs of sailing gloves that came with my boat that I thought I'd never need!!!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 16:23   #176

"There is more joy in heaven.... :-0)!

Good on ye, TooCoys!

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 21:08   #177

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Aye, now you can keep your boat shipshape and Bristol fashion.
Old 11-06-2017, 21:31   #178

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I had to laugh.... I kept thinking of the movie "The Princess Bride" where Mandy Patinkin says, "He's gaining on us. I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using?" and Wallace Shawn responds with sailing commands "move the thing, and that other thing!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 22:06   #179

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Hahaha. I had completely forgotten that scene.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:37   #180
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I COMPLETELY AND T-TOTALLY TAKE THIS COMMENT BACK, and now realize how out of turn I was speaking when originally posting this.

While the jargon in sailing *IS* quite formal, now I realize why and the necessity. We went out on a friends racing rigged boat and sailed in the bay, and then ended up sailing back through the channel and all the way back into the creek. We had to tack repeatedly through the channel and the creek, and after the first few tacks I realized why it was necessary. There was a fine line when timing a tack to keep the forward momentum. Any deviation in that timing resulted in a loss of speed and sometimes a loss of steerage when you're only doing 1 knot or less.

When you're in a tight channel like we were, and "beating into the wind", things like "yall ready to turn", and "pull that rope" just wouldn't cut it.

All of the "Ready about", "Ready", "Hard Alee", and "Let go and haul!", really were about timing and listening to who was doing what, and I completely realize that now.

And also, now I REALLY wish I hadn't thrown out those 6 pairs of sailing gloves that came with my boat that I thought I'd never need!!!
It's always good to learn new skills but learning a new language at the same time is even better
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing