Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 14:14   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts ?

Marty, yachts could easily be sold at a tenth the price. But you see, this is one of those global conspiracies by the Old Money folks, to keep the hoi polloi off the water. All those budweiser-swilling yahoos who ruined tennis (they don't even try to wear proper tennis whites any more) and drive BMWs in the left lane at less than the speed limit with no concept of what "vigorous" means let alone how to use any of the lights...All those little people would ruin the sport and clutter up the ahcnorages and yacht clubs, if they were allowed to.

So, the Old Money that owns the stock that owns the boat manufacturers and suppliers, all conspire to push the prices up a thousand percent, simply in order to keep the riff-raff safely home on their couches, or infesting the Wal-mart instead.

It's a conspiracy, Marty. You can easily build your own boat for a fraction of the cost, just buy some wood and fiberglass and get started instead of complaining about it.

Or, if you ask a local private investment banker very very nicely, he might invite you into the club, if you open an account with him.

Really, Marty.

Just don't tell anyone about this, they'll put out a contract on me for letting the cat out of the bag.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:22   #92
CLOD

Boat: none

Personally I think that used boats like most used luxury items are very inexpensive for what they are! They benefit in being low cost/high value by their nature of being a luxury item resulting in the the people who can afford to buy new having to "dump" them to move up or buy a new boat.

People who can truly afford new yachts are not interested in a used anything, and they in the end subside those of us in the used market.
Old 11-02-2013, 14:22   #93

Boat: Roberts 25' Adventurer

Didn't you know that the word "BOAT" is an acronym for "Bring Out Another Thousand"
Greg Shakeshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:39   #94

Greg now that was funny :-))
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:41   #95

Don't get me wrong folks, I can afford a new yacht but I like secondhand better. Suppose its like driving a new car out the showroom, as soon as the wheels hit the road, bang !!! that's 5 grand wiped of the value...
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:50   #96
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Shakeshaft View Post
Didn't you know that the word "BOAT" is an acronym for "Bring Out Another Thousand"
I'm trying to remember the last time a boat project cost me that little.
Old 11-02-2013, 15:50   #97

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Don't get me wrong folks, I can afford a new yacht but I like secondhand better. Suppose its like driving a new car out the showroom, as soon as the wheels hit the road, bang !!! that's 5 grand wiped of the value...
You are a lucky man ... so, please stop complaining and do your part to stimulate the economy.
Old 11-02-2013, 16:11   #98
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
I think there are always deals to be had out there if you are willing to put some time and legwork into the search. Again, it may be a bit different in Europe, but over here larger sailboat owners keep getting older and very few younger people are buying. Until all of us baby boomers die off there will be people gradually ageing out of boating and looking to sell their boats. I see it happening all around me. Boat registrations have declined in the USA pretty steadily since the peak in the late '90s early 2000s. I think most of those boats are still around--just less are being used.
Remember the US sailboat market is extremely small, the US is a powerboat marketplace. In Europe sailboat dominate a d are produced and owned in far greater numbers. Hence there is a wider spread of ownership

Dave
Old 11-02-2013, 16:15   #99

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It is true that the USA is primarily a powerboat market, but overall boat registrations have been declining. Powerboaters aren't quite as old as the sailors, but there are still a lot of them ageing out of the sport every year. I sail by a boatyard that does not allow sailboats and last summer I would guess there were 30 or 40 powerboats above 40 feet that just sat on land all summer long with their winter covers on--never moved.
Old 11-02-2013, 17:53   #100

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Shakeshaft View Post
Didn't you know that the word "BOAT" is an acronym for "Brake Out Another Thousand"
And another FYI each $1000 is 1 boat credit.
e.g. My arch was 6.5 boat credits.
Old 11-02-2013, 18:08   #101
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Another word to make it more expensive, craftsmanship
Only if you pay for someone else's craftsmanship...most of the cost of owning a boat is paying someone else to do the work for you (if you pay someone else to do the work). I could not have been able to afford to pay someone to do all the work I have done on my boat, especially at "shipwrights prices"
Old 11-02-2013, 18:14   #102

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Sorry, but when I see the cost of some of these yachts/boats I generally think they are taking the p***. Yacht manufactures need to do things better. I think the reason the yachts are not selling in the numbers I thought they would have been is because they are excessively over priced. Or maybe its supply and demand. Don't build as many so creating a demand to drive up the price.

How can the price rise so drastically because the boat is one foot longer/bigger( yes a foot bigger not meters, just a foot). I would like to know what the average cost per sqm or foot is. Or what is the true extra cost for one extra foot of hull and body or extra inches on beam or extra foot in rigging.

Or is there a certain amount of snobbery involved in sailing ???. Does it cost that much to keep the rif raf out... I'm just thinking out loud.

Or is it when manufactures use words like "Craftmanship" then its licence to add another 10,000 onto the price. I wonder what other words they use to inflate the price...???

Just thinking out loud.... :-))
Out loud, yes, thinking, maybe not so much. Demonstrating a poor grasp of what it costs to build a yacht... definitely!

Jim
Old 11-02-2013, 19:00   #103
Eternal Member

Boats are a very expensive luxury...but as a home they are actually quite cost effective.
Mostly because a rich "yachtie" pays through the nose to have stuff done he should know how to do himself and falls victim to every gadget and gizmo the marketing industry says he "needs", The same marketing industry also tries to convince people they need a shiny new "6 figure yacht"...when there are some terrific boats out there at a fraction of the cost...they are just "previously owned"
Old 11-02-2013, 20:11   #104

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

The last 2 excellent posts by Jim Cate and Wolfenzee summed it up, McFly.

It can cost a lot, but not much compared to a house and land, and much less if you can do a lot of the work yourself. Be warned, there is work, a lot of it, the TO DO LIST never gets wiped to zero.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:06   #105
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
The last 2 excellent posts by Jim Cate and Wolfenzee summed it up, McFly.

It can cost a lot, but not much compared to a house and land, and much less if you can do a lot of the work yourself. Be warned, there is work, a lot of it, the TO DO LIST never gets wiped to zero.
There are several different types of TO DO LISTS
there is need to do, should do and what you would like to do.
My to do list is really long, but almost all of it is things I want to do, the should do list is pretty short and the need to do list is almost non-existent.

When got the boat is was in great shape so most of the suff on my to do list was because I wanted to do it.