Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06   #46

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Do you not think boats/yachts are like houses and the price hasn't bottomed out yet. Or maybe it has. ???
I'm sure all the really good deals are gone by now. It's been 3-5 years since people started losing jobs. It's just the fuel burners left that are at a steal now.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16   #47

Boat: Bristol 34

Expense can be quantified in terms of dollars and cents. Value however, cannot. What a commodity costs is not always relative to its value. Yet what is the value of sailing or cruising? Relative to it's expense, there are many of us who consider the value to far exceed the costs.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20   #48

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm sure all the really good deals are gone by now. It's been 3-5 years since people started losing jobs. It's just the fuel burners left that are at a steal now.
I sell houses in MD. I can tell you that the number one questions I have to ask is equity position. For the most part, if someone bought or refinanced (refi'd their equity away) from 2006 to present day, they have to come out of pocket to sell or become a short sale. I don't see a recovery in our near future in my area, so I would have to say that a good deal on a boat, just like a house, goes quickly. It is the overpriced stuff that sits around. That goes with the selling of anything.

Really good deals are here to stay for quite some time. I don't think we will see an upswing in prices based on the current economy.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25   #49

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think there are always deals to be had out there if you are willing to put some time and legwork into the search. Again, it may be a bit different in Europe, but over here larger sailboat owners keep getting older and very few younger people are buying. Until all of us baby boomers die off there will be people gradually ageing out of boating and looking to sell their boats. I see it happening all around me. Boat registrations have declined in the USA pretty steadily since the peak in the late '90s early 2000s. I think most of those boats are still around--just less are being used.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34   #50
cruiser

I'd be very surprised if Hunter manufactured more than 5 boats last year. It's a big world outside of the USA with many good yacht builders and boats for sale at great prices.

I'm not bashing Hunter, as I sit here quite comfortably in a Hunter 450 in Long Beach CA avoiding the Blizzard back home, but two years ago, I never thought my wife and I would be owners of an Oyster berthed in the Med. Open your mind to the world market and don't be in a hurry... the right boat at the price you're willing to pay will come your way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42   #51

Quote:
This year I will be looking to buy my first boat having been introduced to sailing by our friends. But on doing a lot of looking and comparing different makes is it just me but do you not think yachts of all shapes and sizes are expensive for what you get for your money.
It is disconcerting for sure. You can buy a home and land cheaper than a large boat and it's usually an appreciating asset. Somehow that doesnt make sense. I'm amazed any new boats are sold at all.... but then, sailors are crazy in love with the sea I guess....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Do you not think boats/yachts are like houses and the price hasn't bottomed out yet. Or maybe it has. ???
Like but not same.

Houses are a 'must' and the market (both sides) is vast. Boats are, most of the time, 'optional extras', and the demand side is limited while the supply side is vast. In many respects then, boats are more like cars than like houses.

I cannot see boat prices falling down much anymore, not after 2010 or thereabouts.

There are single deals now and then though, I guess these are boats and yachts sold by insurers/banks/debt holders, etc..

New boats market must be a very tough place right now: in our 1000+ boats marina there has not been a single new one since 2008.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56   #53

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One thing I see here on CF a lot is somebody complaining that he or she can't find a bargain price on a SuperPrimo 44 in pristine condition, completely equipped, and less than five years old, and located nearby. If you get very specific in what you want, and it is already at the high-end and in very limited supply because they only build one or two a year, prices will be high and firm. If you are flexible in what you are looking at, willing to travel and spend some time, willing to do a bit of work, and have some patience there are bargains or at least good deals to be found, especially on higher-production models.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:15   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'd be very surprised if Hunter manufactured more than 5 boats last year. It's a big world outside of the USA with many good yacht builders and boats for sale at great prices.

I'm not bashing Hunter, as I sit here quite comfortably in a Hunter 450 in Long Beach CA avoiding the Blizzard back home, but two years ago, I never thought my wife and I would be owners of an Oyster berthed in the Med. Open your mind to the world market and don't be in a hurry... the right boat at the price you're willing to pay will come your way.
I am very shocked at that.... It seems that I might be able to find myself a good boat for a good price...
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
I sell houses in MD. I can tell you that the number one questions I have to ask is equity position. For the most part, if someone bought or refinanced (refi'd their equity away) from 2006 to present day, they have to come out of pocket to sell or become a short sale. I don't see a recovery in our near future in my area, so I would have to say that a good deal on a boat, just like a house, goes quickly. It is the overpriced stuff that sits around. That goes with the selling of anything.

Really good deals are here to stay for quite some time. I don't think we will see an upswing in prices based on the current economy.
No I tend to agree with you.. I think that prices are not going to go up until there is spare cash to go around.

But I'm optimistic that things will improve in the yacht market slowly. I work in supply, to the construction industry, where quite a number of companies have gone to the wall. This year in Scotland I predict there will be level to slow growth which I am sure will pick up around the end of the year, we are slowly seeing an increase. Which ever companies are left standing will reap the rewards in the future.

Once the housing market bounces back and it will,,, this will have a direct effect in the yacht/boat market. After all yachts/boats are a luxury....
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28   #56

Everybody loves a bargain,, I',m just looking for value for money even if it's a luxury item...
Value for money and I'll be happy...
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
(...) he or she can't find a bargain price on a SuperPrimo 44 in pristine condition, completely equipped, and less than five years old, and located nearby. (...)
With this kind of mindset an owner may find it difficult to do any sailing later.

After all sailing is all about having a precise plan of getting from A to B but perhaps ending up at C or even D. And exact timing is essential too - we prefer to be at B tomorrow at 16:59:21 zulu time but definitely not later than sometime later next week.

As you said, getting fixed on sth does not help to find THE boat. Neither does it help to sail one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 14:13   #58

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Everybody loves a bargain,, I',m just looking for value for money even if it's a luxury item...
Value for money and I'll be happy...
You probably don't want a boat then ... just get the Rolex watch, which would be a better value for the money.
Old 08-02-2013, 14:24   #59

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Having a boat is like having a child. Everybody will be making money once you have your child; hospitals, doctors, foods, clothes, schools, supplies... With a boat; marinas, food, sails, electronics, charts, gear, taxes... You get the picture! Love conquers all! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 15:22   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You probably don't want a boat then ... just get the Rolex watch, which would be a better value for the money.
Forget the Rolex. I had one and my $40 Casio kept better time, was more comfortable to wear and had a light so I could see in the dark.

On the other hand, the Casio didn't really impress the girls. Now that I think about it, neither did the Rolex but then maybe it was just me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote