Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 22:49   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Why don't they......

Hi all,

I am not terribly knowledgeable about sailing but am trying to learn what i can before getting a fairly large cat (45-51) to retire early on.

It strikes me that the trend is for all lines to lead to the helm, but here's my question, why, on have a line at all for the mainsail?

Why don't they have a lightweight chain going up and down inside the mast connected to a motor at the bottom? It just seems to be obvious to me.

So i must be missing something and would appreciate any answers.

Fair winds

Heath
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 23:11   #2

Re: Why don't they......

To get the same strength a chain would be much heavier, in exactly the area you don't want weight.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 23:25   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

What problem are you solving by using chain? Added cost and complexity, for what gain? If you have a problem with a rope halyard at sea, you could potentially replace it with any other rope line you happen to have. Likewise for the winch, it can do other jobs beside hoisting the mainsail. Finally, metal parts (chains) don't hold up well in the marine environment. Seems like asking for trouble.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 02:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why don't they......

And.. the banging inside the mast would drive you nutz.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 03:17   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ to say nothing about trying to repair it when the chain or motor broke (especially at sea)!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 03:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Hi all,

I am not terribly knowledgeable about sailing but am trying to learn what i can before getting a fairly large cat (45-51) to retire early on.

It strikes me that the trend is for all lines to lead to the helm, but here's my question, why, on have a line at all for the mainsail?

Why don't they have a lightweight chain going up and down inside the mast connected to a motor at the bottom? It just seems to be obvious to me.

So i must be missing something and would appreciate any answers.

Fair winds

Heath
And you can have an electric winch in the cockpit , or as I do , rig / block the main halyard throo the electric windlass for easy mainsail hoist , job done .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 05:35   #7

I suppose I was thinking it'd last longer, be more reliable and would be one less line in what can be a very busy area, particularly on cats where many if not all lines go to one point.
Old 24-12-2017, 08:25   #8

Boat: Currently in between

On a 45 to 51 foot cat the terms lightweight and mainsail simply don't go together.

Sailboats have been around a long time and if there was a better way to do something, it has probably been done. Sure, parts and procedures do evolve but a chain inside a mast is a bad idea.
Old 24-12-2017, 08:36   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Always worth asking these questions. It’s how we learn. For the same tensile strength chain will be far heavier than modern line. It will be noisy inside the mast, difficult to inspect, and prone to corrosion. It will be larger in cross section and likely damage other halyards and internal mast wiring.
If you mean roller chain (like a bicycle) it is very expensive in stainless at the sizes you would need. If you mean anchor chain style it will be high friction and heavy.

Those are a few reasons that come to mind. But ...

Keep asking and thinking!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 08:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Keep asking and thinking!

Who said, "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask." which I think is true about 95% of the time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 06:16   #11

I was asking as it didn't need to be a metal chain, plastic might work, or a long bolt up through the centre of the mast with a motor at the bottom turning it... Ok it was just a thought... I had this other about a central dagger board on the nacelle but I think I should leave it to the experts lol. Thanks fellas
Old 25-12-2017, 06:23   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

There was a time that stainless wire rope used to be used on many halyards on yachts. Especially on racing yachts where the stretch in rope would affect sail shape, thus performance.
But with the creation of Spectra and kevlar ropes etc, there is minimal stretch but still a very long life span. In fact, I would argue they out live the stainless wire of the past.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 07:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I was asking as it didn't need to be a metal chain, plastic might work, or a long bolt up through the centre of the mast with a motor at the bottom turning it...
You know that you can get electric or hydraulic winches for a boat and use those on the main halyard. By the way, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned in the discussion, hoisting (as opposed to rollup) mains have slides in a track that occasionally jam or stick. With a motor hoisting the main you have to be careful not to rip the luff apart if a jam happens.

Quote:
I had this other about a central dagger board on the nacelle but I think I should leave it to the experts lol. Thanks fellas
Not sure about the meaning of nacelle in your context. Are you referring maybe to an appendage on the bottom of the boat, like a semi keel, to house the daggerboard or a housing inside the boat for the same purpose? Actually both of these are used on boats and offer some significant advantages, mainly reduced draft with the board up but improved windward performance with the board down.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 08:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You know that you can get electric or hydraulic winches for a boat and use those on the main halyard. By the way, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned in the discussion, hoisting (as opposed to rollup) mains have slides in a track that occasionally jam or stick. With a motor hoisting the main you have to be careful not to rip the luff apart if a jam happens.

Not sure about the meaning of nacelle in your context. Are you referring maybe to an appendage on the bottom of the boat, like a semi keel, to house the daggerboard or a housing inside the boat for the same purpose? Actually both of these are used on boats and offer some significant advantages, mainly reduced draft with the board up but improved windward performance with the board down.
I think she was referring to the ammas as nacelle's.
But that would mean looking at trimarans and not cats.
Old 25-12-2017, 10:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. the banging inside the mast would drive you nutz.
THIS ^^^^^^^^ Times infinity!!!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote