Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 05:31   #46
cruiser

Re: Why don't people use their boats?

The size of the boat has nothing to do with it. Boats are a luxury for most people, and those same individuals are usually hard working people. Their work gets in the way of the free time they thought that would be made for the enjoyment of the boat. The same personality that seems to thrive on working and making enough money to support luxury, also wishes for the free time to enjoy it, but can't get away from the responsibilities of the job and creating the wealth. Also, there's usually the responsibility for the employees. I know when I had 22 folks working for me out in California, I felt a huge responsibility to perform my duties as the owner of the company to not let my emplyees and subcontractors down... So our O 'Day 20 in Dana Point Harbor, sat there neglected for two years.

Now, I have fewer obligations, so more time can be spent enjoying our larger boat.

One more point: Wealthy people who own the really big boats usually have many hobbies or extra luxuries to split their time, eg: vacation homes, multiple boats, Airplanes, race cars, ski vacations, world travel... etc. believe it or not... The boat you see in the marina being unused is just one of many hobbies/luxuries for that individual.

I was anchored once for a few days next to a fellow on his 54 ft power boat, a very nice fellow who also owned 2 airplanes and who had recently semi-retired from his company which employed over 100 people. He's a good example.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 05:32   #47

I believe a primary reason my boat is used so much is that I have gone out of my way to equip the boat with some of the same conveniences of home. It's a comfortable, fresh smelling, lovely teak environment with internet, print/scan capabilities, Direct TV, a gourmet galley, SubZero refrigeration/freezers etc. It's just a nice place to be. I love the Galley Up configuration and the 17' beam of the boat. The dishwasher, laundry and water maker all add to the positive experience. Want to take an hour long hot shower? Go for it!

The Big Buddy is a nice place to be whether sitting at the slip or anchored in a lovely cove.
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 07:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The size of the boat has nothing to do with it. Boats are a luxury for most people
A pleasure boat is of course a luxury... but a small boat is a much more affordable luxury. I don't have to work 60 hours a week to afford one. And I don't have to beg folks to crew, or get marina/club staff to help me in/out. I just take the lock off the companionway hatch, underhand my knapsack into the cabin, and I'm off. For the weekend, or just 30 min.

It's much more onerous for most owners to get out regularly when your boat is also a small apartment and your second most expensive possession.

I've heard many many stories from people who regret upsizing. I've resolved that no matter what boat we eventually upsize to, I'm also keeping the Sandpiper. Too much fun for such little money. Small boat - sail more.

(Hello Ken. Happy holidays)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 07:37   #49

Boat: contessa 32

Well the OP. is correct in assuming that MDR is representative of Marinas world wide, i.e.boats sitting for the money/time constraints mentioned above. The gym membership that is ever used is particularly illustrative. What has not been mentioned is the work and commitment required to keep a boat ready for even a daysail. To take a boat out of a slip requires a fair amount of physical activity ,clambering about with dock lines,fenders , deploying awnings or whatnot. There may be redocking at fuel dock,et.,now to sail there is so much more physical activity in getting sails up, trimming ,getting drinks for guests ,demonstrating how the head works and so forth that maybe it is just simpler to stay on the dock with a cold one and recall the dream that caused the original purchase : a sunlit lagoon with tropical breezes lulling the owner into a long nap with nothing to do in the foreseeable future.
Those magical dreams can be, and are ,occasionally experienced by many who have the dedication to learn to be accomplished sailors and the wherewithal and energy to keep their craft at the ready. Now, if your boat is on a mooring , a long drive from home or suffering from differed maintenance there will be even more disincentives to get off the lawn chair.
Back to the gym membership analogy, I consider my boat time,especially if alone,as a trip to the gym and by actively sailing find myself in constant motion with the attendant physical benefits. Got to admit however, there there is a lot to recommend a cold one in the lawn chair!

..................lov you all...............................mike............ .......................
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 08:13   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
A pleasure boat is of course a luxury... but a small boat is a much more affordable luxury. I don't have to work 60 hours a week to afford one. And I don't have to beg folks to crew, or get marina/club staff to help me in/out. I just take the lock off the companionway hatch, underhand my knapsack into the cabin, and I'm off. For the weekend, or just 30 min.

It's much more onerous for most owners to get out regularly when your boat is also a small apartment and your second most expensive possession.

I've heard many many stories from people who regret upsizing. I've resolved that no matter what boat we eventually upsize to, I'm also keeping the Sandpiper. Too much fun for such little money. Small boat - sail more.

(Hello Ken. Happy holidays)
Merry Christmas!

I think your assessment is applicable to boats in the 12-60ft range, but the OP was wondering why boats in Marina Del Rey harbor sit unused... the closest harbor to Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and Hollywood, home to the entertainment world of the rich and famous. For those folks with the 60ft+ yachts (power and sail), the complexity of the boats has nothing to do with how much the craft gets used; their boat is just one more toy or passing interest in a livestyle few of us will ever know.

Head over to the Med., the lifestyle difference is even more extreme... over there I've been in many anchorages where we're on the smallest boat. On one 200ft exploration powerboat anchored next to us, I watched them off load a 37ft sailboat as a "water toy."

Some boat owners work hard, and play hard... spending little time at each activity. Others, are lucky enough to be be born into the lifestyle like the four year old with his family on the 150 foot motor yacht. Again, for most of us on this forum, our yacht represents a huge investment and a big part of our lives, but for the vast majority of the yacht owners, especially in the harbor mentioned by the OP.... yachts are simply one more toy and represent a small part of of the owner's lifestyle.
Old 21-12-2013, 08:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Some pursue active use, some use their boats as often as their busy lifestyles will allow, and there are those who fulfill their nautical predilection by using their boats as floating waterfront property. I support each of them and applaud their fulfillment of their individual dreams.
Jim,

That's true, except in our marina and those around us, my experience is that the majority (well over 50%) of boats NEVER see their owners, even for once a year. They are sadly neglected. Jim & Ann got it right - never, ever used.

I used to get tired of cleaning off our "mustache" every few months. Now I realize it's a "Badge of Honor" 'cuz our boat is being USED!

While we use our boat for all of the family, I often singlehand.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 08:24   #52

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Fact is, its nobodys business except for the owner himself..
and we all have our reasons.. I for one think sailing in anything less than salt water under your keel and on a tack of no less than two or three days is a waist of time.. but thats me..
My brother on the other hand owns a 38 foot trawler that seldom leaves the slip.. and his reasoning is that his boat is a get-away from the hustle of of everyday issues so he just comes out a couple times a month to set around the boat, maybe do a little fishing, and relax.. all from his covered slip in the marina..
I will say, from the back of his boat, he has a great view of the delta and just relaxing in an easy chair with a cup of tea.. yep, he's got a good thing going on..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 08:26   #53

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
TSNIP

One more point: Wealthy people who own the really big boats usually have many hobbies or extra luxuries to split their time, eg: vacation homes, multiple boats, Airplanes, race cars, ski vacations, world travel... etc. believe it or not... The boat you see in the marina being unused is just one of many hobbies/luxuries for that individual.

I was anchored once for a few days next to a fellow on his 54 ft power boat, a very nice fellow who also owned 2 airplanes and who had recently semi-retired from his company which employed over 100 people. He's a good example.
It is always interesting to see different views on the definition of "wealthy people". As a college student I was talking to one of my high school classmates about visiting him in Bogota after he married a lady from Colombia. His wife then described me, a poor by my definition college student, as rich. When I asked her why she thought I was rich she replied it is obvious you are rich, you are wearing eye glasses.

I am currently taking a break from living on my boat. The reason is I graduated from FSU and currently the FSU football team is rated as the best in the nation. For the last six weeks I have followed the team, gone to lots of parties, and enjoyed watching them win. I suspect lots of college students are doing the same FSU fanboy act I am doing and I would not define them as rich.

So you do not have to be rich to have other interests that may take you away from your boat for some period of time.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 17:57   #54

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
It is always interesting to see different views on the definition of "wealthy people". As a college student I was talking to one of my high school classmates about visiting him in Bogota after he married a lady from Colombia. His wife then described me, a poor by my definition college student, as rich. When I asked her why she thought I was rich she replied it is obvious you are rich, you are wearing eye glasses. ...
You couldn't be more right... My wife's friend "borrowed" some money form her and several months later my wife asked for her "loan" back. The woman said (and I'm not making this up), "you can afford it, your husband has a boat!".

Somehow this entitled her to keep the cash and never pay it back! It's not that much; about the price of a nice winch handle, but it's the principle of the matter.

I refuse to feel guilty because someone has less than me nor will I feel jealous because someone has more than me.

My boat might not be doing much right now but that will change next year.
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 18:07   #55

Boats that have busy owners that do not get to them as often as they would like are one thing, but every marina I have been in has tons of boats the clearly no one has ever been to in 5-10 or even more years. No maintenance of any kind, rotting in their slip. These are not a "too busy" kind of thing, but a whole different class. The initial investment has gone down the tubes from neglect, and the owner is still paying thousands a year in slip fees. These are the ones that amaze me.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 18:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Boats that have busy owners that do not get to them as often as they would like are one thing, but every marina I have been in has tons of boats the clearly no one has ever been to in 5-10 or even more years. No maintenance of any kind, rotting in their slip. These are not a "too busy" kind of thing, but a whole different class. The initial investment has gone down the tubes from neglect, and the owner is still paying thousands a year in slip fees. These are the ones that amaze me.
Well said. Our dock neighbor's boat started sinking one winter during heavy rains. He has a small vent on the side of his port locker (to vent his crap?!?) and his scupper drains were clogged. The water was rising enough that his stern started to squat. Pearson 33. I called the marina harbormaster: "If it sinks, you'll end up with a mess." They finally came down, cleared the scuppers and the boat started to float again. The skipper hadn't been down in five years. A few months later they literally locked it into the slip. A few months after that the skipper came down, took his stuff off, someone bought the boat at auction and it's gone.

What a waste of a fine boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 19:00   #57
cruiser

Quote:
I agree. The kind of situation you describe has always puzzled me.
Old 23-12-2013, 19:44   #58

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Many reasons. #1 IMO is that the reality doesn't match the fantasy.
People buy boats for many reasons. Some are for drinking, some fishing, some bragging, some cruising, some sailing, some racing. Mostly for drinking I think.
Old 23-12-2013, 19:45   #59

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
There are a couple boats at the end of my dock that is like that. One has water and growth in the cockpit and it's bad that someone else on the dock had to unplug the shore power cable as it was underwater at one point. that and the second one has lots of growth from the dock lines and any other lines/cables in the water. They show clear signs of not being used in a very long time.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 19:46   #60

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
I agree. The kind of situation you describe has always puzzled me.
Most people live in denial. Why let the facts get in the way of their ideas?