Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 17:12   #16

Re: Why doesn't this boat have a steaming light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Thanks for the responses. My boat is slightly over 23 ft if you count the rudder. Yes, it does have an outboard motor and also had normal sidelights and stern light.
Sailing vessels are required to be fitted with the normal sidelights and stern lights. Looks like your vessel was originally used as a sailing vessel and along the way someone fitted in a motor. So now it becomes a power driven vessel.
hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:18   #17
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

@wolfesmy: I entirely agree, I was just curious why it never had one.
@barnakiel: those specs are why I was curious, according to LOA, it is required, according to hull length, it is not.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodall_M1 View Post
Who on earth (or at sea) would be asking about a steaming light when they didn't have an engine?
Not sure, maybe a guy that just likes to ask questions about boating etc and rules

On beach cats, there are no rules about mounted lighting so we used to do our yearly 100 mile race with light sticks and flashlights. My largest beach cat was a Nacra 6.0 (6 meters)

(A sailing vessel of less than 7 meter in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) or (b), but if she does not, she shall < exhibit an all around white light or > have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision)

After getting stuck out until 3am though in barge traffic with zero winds in a few races, many bought stronger flashlights

I guess it also depends on how much you plan to sail/motor at night. You could always hoist your allaround anchor light if you don't have a "steaming" light installed or if your mounted "steaming" light isn't working
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:51   #19

In a recent, similar post, someone made the point that if your motor has an alternator on it (provides power to battery), then it doesn't really matter if you use and LED or a conventional bulb, as "steaming" means you're running the engine.

The similar post made the point that the color temperature of the LED lights is different than the color temperature of conventional light. The post made the point that the LED can look very similar to a star, while the conventional bulb with it's warmer temperature does not.

That may sound a bit dubious, but the advice was given by one of our more knowledgable members, FWIW.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06   #20
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

It does have a OB motor.

I believe the answer, as many have suggested above, is that it is technically under 23 ft with regard to Coast Guard regs despite the LOA because the rudder is included in LOA, but not by the Coast Guard.

Thanks to everyone.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

In a nutshell, power driven vessels under 12 meters in length can combine their masthead (steaming light) and stern light into a single 360 degree white light....(your anchor light).

If you are under 12 meters and under power, you may still have a separate masthead and stern light...if that is your preference.

With a sailboat, obviously, you still need a separate stern light when under sail at night or in restricted visibility.

I have purchased USCG approved LED white lights that have a hotter temperature (bluer) and the more warmer (more traditional looking similar to an incandescent yellowish) temperatures. Both were legal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you are under 12 meters and under power, you may still have a separate masthead and stern light...if that is your preference.
Not really. That would be two stern lights, which is not appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
The similar post made the point that the color temperature of the LED lights is different than the color temperature of conventional light. The post made the point that the LED can look very similar to a star, while the conventional bulb with it's warmer temperature does not.

That may sound a bit dubious, but the advice was given by one of our more knowledgable members, FWIW.
Another reason I recommend buying a new (approved) LED fixture, not just putting an LED bulb in a fixture designed for incandescents.

As for looking like a star, maybe so. But the LEDs I've seen are easy to identify at the distances we usually care about on recreational vessels.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 08:11   #23

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I suspect many sailboats are like mine, one breaker for navigation lights (bow and stern), one for steaming light and one for anchor light. Therefore, using the anchor light instead of the steaming light presents two white lights to the rear. I suspect that violates COREGS but am too lazy to look it up.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat